D&D 5E Check Out the 13th Doctor's 5E Stats

Cubicle 7's Doctors & Daleks is now available. You can see a bunch of previews here, including Dalek stats. But even more interesting are the 13th Doctor's statistics!

The 13th Doctor is the current regeneration of The Doctor, played by Jodie Whittaker.

13.jpeg

In Doctors and Daleks, characters gain 'quips', which work like spells. "You can use the new Quips and Encounter Level system to solve your problems without violence. Use quick wits and inventive ideas to defeat Daleks with confounding logical arguments, or shut off the emotional inhibitors of a single Cyberman and attempt to ‘bring them back’." Every class gets quips.

quips.jpeg

Last edited:

Yaarel

He Mage
I wonder how Quips would work or feel if you important them over to regular 5E games.

Slays Demogorgon with Logical Damage.
Seriously, quips in combat seem to relate to psychic damage.

This would be a nonmagical use of the psychic damage type.

Where other damage types can choose between lethal or nonlethal, maybe a quip is normally nonlethal, with the target at 0 hp becoming vulnerable and-or surrendering.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
It seems the Dr Who setting wants to avoid combat, thus stay low level.
I think you're making too many assumptions - read the post above from @Emmetation - they have rules for avoiding combat built into the modified version of the Encounter system in the game. The low level nature of this character is because it's a sample character sheet, not because it's the Doctor's official stats.

Weiley31

Legend
Seriously, quips in combat seem to relate to psychic damage.

This would be a nonmagical use of the psychic damage type.
True, but I low-key love the idea that Logical damage isn't resisted by anything in all of actual 5E DND, making it the best damage typing with Force now the second best damage typing. LMFAO!

Jer

Legend
Supporter
True, but I low-key love the idea that Logical damage isn't resisted by anything in all of actual 5E DND, making it the best damage typing with Force now the second best damage typing. LMFAO!
I mean, if you want to go that route the Quips do damage to Plot Points, not Hit Points, so in a D&D game they'd do no damage at all :)

Yaarel

He Mage
Hmmm, I am somehow ok with this.

I do care about gaming-engine balance, so designers need to safeguard against breaking the game.

But nonlethal combat is especially important in my urban settings, and adding quips to the arsenal sounds awesome.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Except when I make set piece moments use PP and not HP or just jack the 5E Doctor Who's Encounter build thing into regular 5E games. LOL.
I am very interested in looking at the Encounter rules they have in this game. The idea of an entire Encounter having a pool of points that get diminished through the encounter rather than each creature in the encounter having their own bag of points is intriguing - it's like the swarm rules from 3e or the mook rules from 13th age except abstracted out even further. The points being a measure of how the group has overcome the obstacle rather than defeating individual enemies.

I've got to think about this - there's some flexibility there. You could set up encounters to have events that key off of when plot points hit certain thresholds (at 75% one of the villains makes a break for it and abandons the boss, at 50% one gets desperate to beat the party and now gets advantage on his physical checks but disadvantage to mental checks and saves, at 25% the big bad exits the scene with a monologue, leaving his minions to block his retreat, etc.) With the option of course to have them happen earlier or skip them depending on how things are going for the players. There are some interesting ideas on pacing an encounter in the 5e system that could come out of viewing it as a whole like that instead of as a collection of individuals.

Weiley31

Legend
Also, yes: Psychic Damage IS replaced by Emotional/Logical Damage. Likewise, it seems like the book itself, according to a preview image on Twitter, suggests that you can use Psychic damage in place of Emotional/Logical if keeping track of the two is a problem or vise versa.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
It seems the Dr Who setting wants to avoid combat, thus stay low level.

To be fair, I too view D&D classes as little more than combat styles, whether fighting with swords or spells.

So, low class level means less combat experience.

But, the ability scores are something different. The Charisma (influence, awe, persuasiveness) for most regenerations of the Doctor should be remarkably high. Likewise Intelligence be high (education, reasoning, intuition, technical acumen). Wisdom is weird − where it represents sensory perceptiveness it might vary from one regeneration to an other, but where it is will power and resistance to influence, probably every Doctor is remarkably higher than average.

Generally, where the six ability scores divide between physical characteristics and mental characteristics, the Doctor character sheets should be min-maxing for the mental ones.

By the way, the Eleventh Doctor is my favorite, by Matt Smith!
10th Doctor for me!

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases