Planescape Check Out The Planescape Character Options

New backgrounds and feats in upcoming book!

gate-warden.jpg

WotC has unveiled some of the character options to be found in the upcoming Planescape: Adventures in the Multiverse setting in a D&D Beyond article and a video.

The player options include two backgrounds and a handful of feats. The backgrounds are the Gate Warden and the Planer Philosopher, and the feats include Scion of the Outer planes, which gives you a damage resistance and a cantrip based on the plane you have a connect with. For example, a chaotic Outer Place give you resistance to poison and access to the minor illusion cantrip, which the Outlands give you resistance to psychic damage and the mage hand cantrip. Also included are a couple of new spells and some magic items.

I don't like the idea of PC species in DnDB only. Then I would rather to await a new compilation style Moderkainen Monsters of the Multiverse.

I bought a lot of sourcebooks in 3.5. I spent my money to buy physical books, and I have got a lot of magic items, spells, feat and prestige classes I will be never use. I am not interested in that part of the crunch. I am interested into classes (no subclasses), monsters and PC species.

I wonder if they are going to publish a planar handbook/manual of the planes in the future.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It wouldn't surprise me if the "Glitchling" from the UA and Bariaur PC stats (a mix of a bunch of Satyr and Centaur abilities) , ends up as some sort of bonus DnD Beyond content.
Well, I reckon they are in the Mosnter book: and my personal speculation is that the upcoming MM UA will provide guidance on turning Mosnters into PC Species...

Kurotowa

Legend
So there is no faction mechanical options like in ravnica or theros? Bummer.
If it holds to the Wonders of the Multiverse UA from last year, and from the sound of it they are, the Faction mechanical support got shrunk into the Background and Feat options instead of being a whole new sub-system. Take the Gate Warden or Planer Philosopher background, get your free Scion of the Outer Planes starting feat, and consider taking a 4th level upgrade feat like Agent of Order or Cohort of Chaos.

It's simpler, it takes up less page count, and it's more compatible with what they're building for the 2024 PHB revision.

Stormonu

Legend
So there is no faction mechanical options like in ravnica or theros? Bummer.
You'd figure at least they'd have put together something as having them as Patrons, though remembering the picture of Rhys, they may have figured they covered it in Tashas (hint: that would be the worst way to do Planescape specific factions with general rules in Tasha's). In fact, not having Planescape Patrons in the book set would give me uncomfortable vibes ala Spelljammer - I hope they're there and just weren't mentioned.

Would have been interesting if they'd gone with Reputation ala the Piety system of Theros.

If it holds to the Wonders of the Multiverse UA from last year, and from the sound of it they are, the Faction mechanical support got shrunk into the Background and Feat options instead of being a whole new sub-system. Take the Gate Warden or Planer Philosopher background, get your free Scion of the Outer Planes starting feat, and consider taking a 4th level upgrade feat like Agent of Order or Cohort of Chaos.

It's simpler, it takes up less page count, and it's more compatible with what they're building for the 2024 PHB revision.
I have to admit, I really just sort of assumed faction membership would be a 'fourth thing' for characters, along the lines of dragonmarks in Eberron or dark gifts in Ravenloft.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
You'd figure at least they'd have put together something as having them as Patrons, though remembering the picture of Rhys, they may have figured they covered it in Tashas (hint: that would be the worst way to do Planescape specific factions with general rules in Tasha's). In fact, not having Planescape Patrons in the book set would give me uncomfortable vibes ala Spelljammer - I hope they're there and just weren't mentioned.

Would have been interesting if they'd gone with Reputation ala the Piety system of Theros.
This video is about PCs, not the Factions.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads