Check Out This Beefed-Up CR17 Strahd!

EN World member dave2008 maintains what is, in my opinion, one of the most useful, fun, and interesting threads on the whole forum. His 5E Epic Monster Updates thread contains dozens of gods (of the greater, intermediate, lesser, and demi flavours), primordials, demon princes, archdevils, dukes of hell, aberrations, abominations, constructs, dragons, elemental lords, arch-fey, monstrosities, and undead. While the thread is great to read at any time, he's just added a beefed-up CR17 version of Strahd von Zarovich (he's CR15 in Curse of Strahd). You can see it below, but click on the image and check out all of his epic monsters, as well as his 5E Epic Characters thread.

EN World member dave2008 maintains what is, in my opinion, one of the most useful, fun, and interesting threads on the whole forum. His 5E Epic Monster Updates thread contains dozens of gods (of the greater, intermediate, lesser, and demi flavours), primordials, demon princes, archdevils, dukes of hell, aberrations, abominations, constructs, dragons, elemental lords, arch-fey, monstrosities, and undead. While the thread is great to read at any time, he's just added a beefed-up CR17 version of Strahd von Zarovich (he's CR15 in Curse of Strahd). You can see it below, but click on the image and check out all of his epic monsters, as well as his 5E Epic Characters thread.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
I see bless lasting for 1 round at best and with all his movement options he is very hard to pin down. I don't see a group hammering away at him either, especially after they lost one (72 HP damage) the first round and he's charmed another:)

Why would bless last a round? You think Strahd will waste a 3rd level slot to dispel a 1st level slot? That's a big win for the PCs.

Not sure if he is alone in the adventure but he can summon shadows and specters (lair actions) and swarms. Personally I would have a swarm waiting for the PCs when they arrive.

Why would you think this? A paladin with an aura will probably be in over 50% of groups bolstering saves. Elves and half-elves with fey ancestry will likely be present with advantage on saves. Throw a protection from evil and good on someone to make them hard to hit. Lots of ways for players to mess up a vampire bad. At least you don't have to worry about high level light clerics and sun spells.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Looking him over, I'd boost his AC to 22 and give him 6 hit points per hit dice. I'd give him the ability to cast spells as a Legendary Action. I'd adjust his spell list. Add shield to his list and maybe banishment to attack weak charisma saves and get rid of summoned creatures.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
I assume you mean vampire regeneration not regeneration in general? However, all he has to do is step through the wall, floor, or ceiling regenerate to full and step back in.

FYI [sblock] Strahd has a magical gem which absorbs 50 hp, giving him 221 effective HP without the regeneration, and one of his lair actions allows him to move through walls, floors, & ceilings [/sblock]

I mean regeneration in general. It is stopped by a chill touch cantrip as is any type of healing. All you need is one group member spamming chill touch and healing, regeneration, and the like is negated.

dave2008

Legend
Why would bless last a round? You think Strahd will waste a 3rd level slot to dispel a 1st level slot? That's a big win for the PCs.

Because the caster is dead after 1 round (or 2 at most w/ a surprise round). But if your talking about counterspell, well you have it backwords, a 3rd level spell slot is like trash, spells are an afterthought for Strahd his big option is the 170 DPR he can do, not his spells. The spells are there for spying, protection, distraction, and ranged attack softening.

Why would you think this? A paladin with an aura will probably be in over 50% of groups bolstering saves. Elves and half-elves with fey ancestry will likely be present with advantage on saves. Throw a protection from evil and good on someone to make them hard to hit. Lots of ways for players to mess up a vampire bad. At least you don't have to worry about high level light clerics and sun spells.

I guess your talking about being charmed, but you quoted the part about Strahd's summoning ability. I put the smiley face after it, I was being cheeky. If the PCs had that much charm protection he wouldn't try that - waste of his time, and not needed.

dave2008

Legend
Looking him over, I'd boost his AC to 22 and give him 6 hit points per hit dice. I'd give him the ability to cast spells as a Legendary Action. I'd adjust his spell list. Add shield to his list and maybe banishment to attack weak charisma saves and get rid of summoned creatures.

6 HP per hit die is less than he has w/ his magic equipment, not sure if you where including that or not. Not overly worried about being hit, even less so when bless is out of the equation. Legendary spells aren't needed IMO, they are secondary afterall. I could see adding shield to the list, but he has good methods to escape harm that he can play a game of hide and seek and take the PCs down slowly. Didn't think about summoned allies, would have to see how that plays out.

Do you have any suggest for the 4 classes you would choose to take on Strahd? No MC.

dave2008

Legend
I mean regeneration in general. It is stopped by a chill touch cantrip as is any type of healing. All you need is one group member spamming chill touch and healing, regeneration, and the like is negated.

I never read that closely enough, that is kinda stupid powerful against regeneration. That being said, Strahd can deflect that attack for at least 2 rounds, so if your depending on that he will be able to regain at least 40 HP. Taking his total available HP up to 260. If takes those two round to kill the caster then even better for him.

hawkeyefan

Legend
Well, chill touch does require an attack roll, so it may not always hit. It won't do much damage at all because he has resistance to necrotic damage. The goal though is to shut down his regeneration, which is big, but takes the caster off the table in almost every other way. Probably a fair trade because 20 HP regeneration per round is pretty huge.

At that point though, he'd likely focus on the caster. His move options allow him to bypass other party members and avoid AoOs, so the caster would be in pretty big trouble. Strahd would likely take some hits from the party, but once the caster was down, he could withdraw to a distance, and then summon some minions and drop fog cloud to slow the party down while he started regenerating again. Maybe use a few ranged spells to soften the party up. Maybe try a charm if it seems like it may work.

He's got a ton of options, and crazy mobility. If it was some kind of arena battle, yeah, a halfway smart party could handle him. But if he's played smart, if he doesn't just go toe to toe with the PC...if he withdraws and strikes again...if he uses the terrain to his advantage...I could see him laying waste to even a very capable party.

He is first lair option ensure that even base Strahd from the book can go toe to toe with most parties. It lets him go through the Wall, floors and ceilings in his castle as if they are not there and makes him immune to AoO for the round. This allows him to disengage from his enemies whenever he wants. They can't follow him easily and he can easily vanish using his high stealth and shapeshifting powers. After that he needs simply wait a few rounds for his regen to bring him back to full hp. After which he can attack the party again and repeat until they die or are forced to retreat as their resources vanish.

Killing him is not easy as well. If you reduce him to 0 hp then he turns into mist and heads to his coffin. Following him will be hard as he can go through the cracks in the floor, walls and ceiling. After that the party only has an hour in game to find him and his coffin before he starts regenerating back to full strength. (This is migated if the Sunsword or Holy Symbol of Ravenkind are found.)

dave2008

Legend
Well, chill touch does require an attack roll, so it may not always hit. It won't do much damage at all because he has resistance to necrotic damage. The goal though is to shut down his regeneration, which is big, but takes the caster off the table in almost every other way. Probably a fair trade because 20 HP regeneration per round is pretty huge.

At that point though, he'd likely focus on the caster. His move options allow him to bypass other party members and avoid AoOs, so the caster would be in pretty big trouble. Strahd would likely take some hits from the party, but once the caster was down, he could withdraw to a distance, and then summon some minions and drop fog cloud to slow the party down while he started regenerating again. Maybe use a few ranged spells to soften the party up. Maybe try a charm if it seems like it may work.

He's got a ton of options, and crazy mobility. If it was some kind of arena battle, yeah, a halfway smart party could handle him. But if he's played smart, if he doesn't just go toe to toe with the PC...if he withdraws and strikes again...if he uses the terrain to his advantage...I could see him laying waste to even a very capable party.

That is basically my thought as well.

dave2008

Legend
He is first lair option ensure that even base Strahd from the book can go toe to toe with most parties. It lets him go through the Wall, floors and ceilings in his castle as if they are not there and makes him immune to AoO for the round. This allows him to disengage from his enemies whenever he wants. They can't follow him easily and he can easily vanish using his high stealth and shapeshifting powers. After that he needs simply wait a few rounds for his regen to bring him back to full hp. After which he can attack the party again and repeat until they die or are forced to retreat as their resources vanish.

Killing him is not easy as well. If you reduce him to 0 hp then he turns into mist and heads to his coffin. Following him will be hard as he can go through the cracks in the floor, walls and ceiling. After that the party only has an hour in game to find him and his coffin before he starts regenerating back to full strength. (This is migated if the Sunsword or Holy Symbol of Ravenkind are found.)

Yep, that is my thinking as well. Is mobility is crazy good. The CoS version really upped the damage a ton from the MM version. I just beefed him up a little more.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads