• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Chicago Gameday XII is over... share the memories!

William Ronald said:
It might be wise for the GMs to make a few extra characters to handle walk-ins.
Well, it's not just the characters, there's also the question of how many players can a game accomodate? Six is a pretty good number. I went ahead and took seven because Kid Charlamagne had just missed getting his post in on time and the difference between six and seven isn't that great, but I wouldn't want any more than that in my group, or I wouldn't be able to manage all those characters very well. I'd feel like the players weren't getting as much attention as I feel I owe them as a GM.

Frankly, I think my ideal number of players is three to five. A longer campaign could concievably do more because I'd have more time to get around to everyone and making sure they all had a chance to shine.

buzz

Adventurer
I played in a GURPS event at GenCon this year that had 8-9 players. It was the first time I have ever walked out on a game. Granted, there were a lot of other reasons for the mass quantity of suck in that game, but the fact that the GM just let in pretty much everybody waiting to do so did not help.

I'm not an experienced con GM, but I can't imagine handling more than 6 players in a one-shot. There's no guarantee you'll be able to devote spotlight time to everyone, so anytime you go over the ideal (IMO) 4 players, you increase the risk that the a player is going to spend your event doing next to nothing.

Of course, if your GM skills are up to it, more power to you. :)

buzz

Adventurer
It looks like Gameday may benefit from a whole lot of swag donated by myself and ENWorlder rowport. Efforts to clear space on our game shelves will result is a bunch of books looking for a good home.

(Except my copy of Synnibar. I've tried numerous pest control products, but it refuses to release its grip on the second shelf.)

MattyHelms: Sorry, but I already called dibs on the HC copy of Chill he was getting rid of. :p

William Ronald

Explorer
Joshua Dyal said:
Well, it's not just the characters, there's also the question of how many players can a game accomodate? Six is a pretty good number. I went ahead and took seven because Kid Charlamagne had just missed getting his post in on time and the difference between six and seven isn't that great, but I wouldn't want any more than that in my group, or I wouldn't be able to manage all those characters very well. I'd feel like the players weren't getting as much attention as I feel I owe them as a GM.

Frankly, I think my ideal number of players is three to five. A longer campaign could concievably do more because I'd have more time to get around to everyone and making sure they all had a chance to shine.

I thinke we might be able to handle a walk-in or two. I think that six or seven is a frairly good sizad group for an event. Also, one reason why I tend to create extra characters is to give players a few options.

GORAK

First Post
National D&D Day, SAT 11/5

Does anybody know the details for the National D&D Day, this Sat the 5th at Games Plus?
What I mean is when it starts, game start times, pre-register info, link to list of events, etc.
I am going to try and be there hopefully with a few gamers from the Berwyn group.

buzz

Adventurer
Bardsandsages said:
I can't find the address to send the free Neiyar stuff. Could someone please post it or PM me with it? I want to make sure I send it attention the right folks so it doesn't get misplaced. Thanks!
You can send prizes to:

Games Plus
101 West Prospect Avenue
Mount Prospect, Illinois 60056
Attn.: Curt Duval

Adding a note in the box indicating the items are for Gameday is probably a good idea, too.

Thansk again for making a donation, Bardsandsages!

William Ronald

Explorer
GORAK said:
Does anybody know the details for the National D&D Day, this Sat the 5th at Games Plus?
What I mean is when it starts, game start times, pre-register info, link to list of events, etc.
I am going to try and be there hopefully with a few gamers from the Berwyn group.

You can find some information at World Wide D7D Gameday. thalmin should have some information on Games Plus.

rowport

First Post
buzz said:
It looks like Gameday may benefit from a whole lot of swag donated by myself and ENWorlder rowport. Efforts to clear space on our game shelves will result is a bunch of books looking for a good home.

(Except my copy of Synnibar. I've tried numerous pest control products, but it refuses to release its grip on the second shelf.)

MattyHelms: Sorry, but I already called dibs on the HC copy of Chill he was getting rid of. :p
What the..!? I didn't know you were holding out on me! I demand my Synnibar! All my game books for a Synnibar! ...or something.

Anyway, dudes, I have not signed up yet for anything because of lots of RL stuff- I do not want to sign up and then have to bail last-minute. So, I might enter... THE WALK-IN REALM! Scary, I know. :eek:

PS - I do have some nifty stuff for the swag pile- lots of stuff from 1979 or so! Buzz even found my character sheet stuck in one of them. Funny, funny. I am *really* stoked about the minis of the same vintage that I recently re-acquired. All of these childhood items courtesy of my Mom, who finally cleared out her attic. LOL :p

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads