D&D 5E Choose 3 to protect you (a poll)

Choose three to protect you, while the rest try to kill you!

Vaalingrade

Legend
PCs because of obviously. There's no better shield than Main Characters.

Kobolds because, as has been said, action economy, but more because I can't survive 25 crits from anything.

And Beholders because the choice is between 8 cheaty bois or 4 cheaty bois and antimagic is an easy way to shut down anything that can even pretend to challenge level 20 PCs.

Argyle King

Legend
Is it assumed that the beholders will work as a team?

Typically, beholders don't like to work with other beholders.

Edit: Does the red dragon come with a hoard?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Assuming this is taking about 5e…
• 500 kobolds because action economy is king.
• 5 20th level PCs, because they have the most access to the most powerful magic.
• 8 Beholders to shut down the enemies’ magic (and so they won’t shut down my allies’ magic).
The dragon brings you the kobolds, though, so you don't have to pick them. ;)

Clint_L

Hero
I didn't even know it was out yet. None of the theaters here are carrying it.

I was basing my question on the lore with which I'm familiar up to this point.
He's referring to the cheezy old movies from the early 2000s, that feature these really poor CGI Beholders (or maybe Spectators, given their size and behaviour) as complacent prison guards.

Dausuul

Legend
The PCs and the solars are no-brainers. Between the beholders and the dragon, I had to think a bit, but I came down on the beholders.

The first thing is to get airborne, at least 125 feet up (out of kobold sling range). The PCs and solars can teleport me and the beholders (yes, beholders fly, but they're way too slow).

At this point, only two threats remain that can reach us: The dragon and the storm giants. 8 beholders' worth of eye rays will burn out the dragon's LR and annihilate it in a round. Their anti-magic cones point downward to shut off storm giant lightning bolts. The PC wizard will put me in a forcecage for safekeeping.

The solars, meanwhile, rain arrows on the giants. It will take them a while with the anti-magic effect in play (disabling the arrows' magical properties), but the beholders can always adjust their AoE to leave one giant exposed.

The PCs stand by to handle any unexpected contingencies. If I or any of my defenders die, a solar swoops in with resurrection.

Last edited:

Remove ads