D&D 5E Chris Perkins is polling settings on Twitter!

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
If they had Spelljammer then it would be worth it to create a Twitter account.

I had completely forgotten I had a Twitter account until I saw people here complaining that they couldn't vote without one; I followed the link, voted, and I guess that means I created a Twitter and have been logged into it for months/years now. Funky.

To the point: I would one zillion times rather see Spelljammer than Planescape if we have a world-traveling-options release. I love Tony Diterlizzi's art, but to me that was the best part of Planescape. The rest was just gimmicky faddishness.

Spelljammer, on the other hand, took a rather grander view, in the vein of pulp stories from the '30s and '40s. It required looking at how medieval-ish societies from wildly different cultural and social backgrounds would develop if they could interact, and did it without looking down on any of them (except Dragonlance, but every multi-world approach TSR published did that for some reason). It also established laws of fantasy physics, and that took some doing.

The fact that Spelljammer came just before what was basically the Grunge movement of RPGs, and was subsequently wiped out by said movement's proliferation, was just some bad timing.

delericho

Legend
PDFs tend to sell more than books nowerdays. Its just the way of the industry

I would very much like to see your source for that particular claim!

Especially since the biggest company in the industry, by far, don't sell PDFs of their core products at all.

Azurewraith

Explorer

Especially since the biggest company in the industry, by far, don't sell PDFs of their core products at all.
Which they totally should even if the PDF required you to use some sort of complex digitization of your hard copy. Its just so much more practical to be digital

delericho

Legend
Which they totally should even if the PDF required you to use some sort of complex digitization of your hard copy. Its just so much more practical to be digital

I certainly wouldn't argue with that! :)

(Well, except for the "complex digitization" bit - DRM more complex than watermarking seems to be more trouble than it's worth, especially as a person who is so inclined can already get the PDFs easily enough... just not legally.)

Azurewraith

Explorer
I certainly wouldn't argue with that! :)

(Well, except for the "complex digitization" bit - DRM more complex than watermarking seems to be more trouble than it's worth, especially as a person who is so inclined can already get the PDFs easily enough... just not legally.)
True but if it was complex we would be more likely to get them as I feel reason wotc wont do them is just the straight up pirating off all the older eds.

delericho

Legend
True but if it was complex we would be more likely to get them as I feel reason wotc wont do them is just the straight up pirating off all the older eds.

Maybe. I'm more inclined to buy into the theory that they're holding off for the benefit of physical stores for the time being.

If their reason is indeed piracy then that's a crazy reason - as I noted in my previous post, pirated copies of the books are easily available for those so inclined, so delaying legal PDFs isn't exactly going to stop it! :)

hawkeyefan

Legend
Yep, even the SCAG didn't paint a clear enough picture of what happened.

I think that was by design, though. I don't think they want to commit to 100 years of history across dozens of nations just to do so. I think they left the details vague to keep their options open, and to give DMs and playing groups room to create their own histories. I think they'll only give specific details for what happened in an area if they need to do so for a novel or other product.

I don't think we'll be getting any hyper-detailed setting guide for some time. I think if they do a Dark Sun book it will likely be a short adventure path packaged with a SCAG-like guide to the Tyr region, which will allow players to create Athasian characters and DMs to create further adventures.

I think that the major concern for Dark Sun is the need for a Psionics Handbook of some sort. Unless they really streamline psionics so that they can fit in one book along with campaign info and an adventure of some kind.

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis

The glorious light of Truth shines on me

(Anecdotal evidence from Kickstarters and the like)

Remove ads