• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Chris Perkins: Reintroducing Settings in Ways that Surprise People

WotC's D&D Story Manager, Chris Perkins, was the subject of an interview by a chap called Chris "Wacksteven" Iannitti. One of the topics covered is campaign setting books; Perkins says that they want to reintroduce settings in "surprising" ways, and that they're not guaranteed to be books. (thanks to Mistwell for the scoop)

WotC's D&D Story Manager, Chris Perkins, was the subject of an interview by a chap called Chris "Wacksteven" Iannitti. One of the topics covered is campaign setting books; Perkins says that they want to reintroduce settings in "surprising" ways, and that they're not guaranteed to be books. (thanks to Mistwell for the scoop)

The video is below, but if you can't watch it right now, here are the highlights as listed by pukunui on WotC's website:

• He can't talk about products that haven't been announced yet
  • They value all of their worlds, as each one has "tons of fans"
  • They are focusing on specific areas within settings to detail and "codify" via their story bibles
  • Their goal is to "challenge people's expectations" re: sourcebooks
  • They're "not interested in releasing books for the sake of releasing books anymore"
  • They want book releases to be events that will "surprise and delight people"; they also want to put out books that people will actually use rather than books that will just get put on a shelf to "stay there and slowly rot"
  • "One of our creative challenges is to package [setting] material - reintroduce facts and important details about our worlds - in a way that we know that DMs and players are going to use, that's going to excite them, that's actually going to surprise them. We may get that content out, but I'm not going to guarantee it's going to be a book. I'm not going to guarantee that it's going to be anything that you've seen before. But it will be something."

[video=youtube;alnwC34qUFs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alnwC34qUFs&feature=youtu.be[/video]

As far as WotC future strategy, I really do not think they are planning a 6e anytime soon. In fact, I'm pretty sure that Mike Mearls (and probably others on his team) are hoping they'll never see another revision/edition. Mike already made it known in an interview that they see this edition as being a lost-lasting edition, and hints were given over the past couple years that imply they are more likely to (eventually) release some options for doing things differently if you'd like, without changing the basic chassis.

I expect we'll eventually see things with a scope similar to late 2e players options (skills and powers, etc), but that they won't make a new edition until someone forces them to.

Personally I agree completely with that strategy. I don't like having a new and better edition of D&D to buy, which I will then need to spend lots of time on analyzing and creating the resources to fit my playstyle.

Now, if they make 6e (and 7e, and 8e) and they all suck, then that isn't going to bother me, because I won't be missing out by not buying them. But I would rather that they wait another 30 years to decide if there is a sufficient reason to make a new edition--and it ought to be the final edition at that point because RPG design should have evolved sufficiently that they have figured out what the Dungeons & Dragons role-playing experience is supposed to look like and just call it DONE! They don't have to reinvent chess every 6-10 years, because the game is done! It doesn't mean that there isn't anything you can spend your chess money on, it just means that you aren't required to buy anything new in order to keep up with an ever shifting mark.

So I guess my preference is that I don't like an evolving core game. It's absolutely contrary to my desires in an RPG.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I agree with the theme and direction of your post. But I do not agree with the above statement.

OK. Who? Of the 13 employees, who barely have time to address Twitter, which of them is spending time reading this message board? I mean, even if they had time to read a message board (I don't think they do), and then had the inclination to do so (I don't think they do) wouldn't they start with the WOTC board? And then if they wanted to read a non-WOTC board (again, highly unlikely)...what makes you think it would be this one (given there is one board even bigger than this one)? And then if you think they read this one...what makes you think it would be threads like this one? I just think the odds of anything in particularly a person posts here will ever be read by someone at the D&D division of WOTC. You probably have a bigger chance of being struck by lightening. This is not the place to send a message to D&D folks at WOTC.

As far as WotC future strategy, I really do not think they are planning a 6e anytime soon. In fact, I'm pretty sure that Mike Mearls (and probably others on his team) are hoping they'll never see another revision/edition. Mike already made it known in an interview that they see this edition as being a lost-lasting edition, and hints were given over the past couple years that imply they are more likely to (eventually) release some options for doing things differently if you'd like, without changing the basic chassis.

I expect we'll eventually see things with a scope similar to late 2e players options (skills and powers, etc), but that they won't make a new edition until someone forces them to.

Personally I agree completely with that strategy. I don't like having a new and better edition of D&D to buy, which I will then need to spend lots of time on analyzing and creating the resources to fit my playstyle.

Now, if they make 6e (and 7e, and 8e) and they all suck, then that isn't going to bother me, because I won't be missing out by not buying them. But I would rather that they wait another 30 years to decide if there is a sufficient reason to make a new edition--and it ought to be the final edition at that point because RPG design should have evolved sufficiently that they have figured out what the Dungeons & Dragons role-playing experience is supposed to look like and just call it DONE! They don't have to reinvent chess every 6-10 years, because the game is done! It doesn't mean that there isn't anything you can spend your chess money on, it just means that you aren't required to buy anything new in order to keep up with an ever shifting mark.

So I guess my preference is that I don't like an evolving core game. It's absolutely contrary to my desires in an RPG.

That's pretty much my read of the situation. I think they very much are looking to have 5E be an evergreen edition - in essence trading cyclical booming sales of new core books for slower book sales with minimal overhead spent on . They're likely banking on the non-RPG components of the brand (tie-in board games, video games, merchandise, and movie rights) bringing in more than they'd make on splatbooks after all is said and done.

If you're not going to be satisfied with the current release rate (Unearthed Arcana articles / biannual adventure paths and an accompanying player's option hardcover or PDF), that's not good news. But what's interesting is your point about an evolving "core game". They've talked about a living ruleset, but in your own view, where does the cut-off occur? Core book reprints with any changes beyond typo fixes?

With everything other than "Basic" being "non-core" in 5E, it's hard for me to see much of a distinction between changes to the system and additions to the system. Does something like the spell-less Ranger archetype they just released constitute an "evolving core"? What about the Warforged in January's Unearthed Arcana? If so, how is that any different from the Aasimar example race in the DMG?

At some point, the books simply can't hold everything that they could have published. Is something automatically "non-Core" just because it didn't make the page count?

OK. Who? Of the 13 employees, who barely have time to address Twitter, which of them is spending time reading this message board? I mean, even if they had time to read a message board (I don't think they do), and then had the inclination to do so (I don't think they do) wouldn't they start with the WOTC board? And then if they wanted to read a non-WOTC board (again, highly unlikely)...what makes you think it would be this one (given there is one board even bigger than this one)? And then if you think they read this one...what makes you think it would be threads like this one? I just think the odds of anything in particularly a person posts here will ever be read by someone at the D&D division of WOTC. You probably have a bigger chance of being struck by lightening. This is not the place to send a message to D&D folks at WOTC.

Like SkidAce, I agree with the central thrust of your argument - that there are more productive avenues for getting Wizards' attention - but to be fair, Mearls posted here last week. So it's not exactly inconceivable that they'd be aware of the fan arguments being posted here.

Of course, if they've any wisdom whatsoever, they'll ignore everything they read online - never, ever trust a source's argument based on how vocal they are about it. They've got hard sales info and the ability to gather detailed survey feedback about how to best move forward, that's what should they should listen to.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter

My apologies, it was not my intent to challenge the premise of your post, i.e. its better to use their systems to get them a message. I actually stated I agreed with that.

But, IMO, to say they do not read these forums is a statement we can't make. I think they do read them, but that's just my gut feeling. ENworld has a history of being relevant. But, I have no cites, and no argument.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Let's be utterly clear - NOBODY from WOTC reads this message board. Moderators, including the owner of this site, have repeatedly said that if your goal is to send a message to WOTC, posting messages in the forum is not the way to do it.

You may have misunderstood me. Plenty of folks from WotC read these forums; of course they do. What I've said is that I don't like these forums being used as a soapbox to send WotC a "message", because we've seen how obnoxious that always ends up being.

They don't post here under the current regime, that's true. That all stopped dead after Scott and Linae left. Up until then, WotC posted here all the time.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
4e's only point of "debacle" is that it was not a great long-term business plan for a company OF THAT SIZE. By any other RPG publisher's measure, 4e would have been a smash success that unequivocally changed the course of the roleplaying industry forever. Wizards of the Coast operates at a scale that requires long-term, smash-hit success with every single release, and that's just not sustainable for them. But *for them* is a very, very specific, highly unusual, completely unrelatable phrase to the rest of the RPG publishing industry.

But we are talking about WotC.

Also, not every books must be a smash it. That is impossible to achieve for any publisher. In any enterprise, there is risk.

Hussar

Legend
I think it is more.

The limited places you can play in the AL is not wise. I would focus on people buying. Right now, there lackluster APs is not helping.

Campaign settings are useful. Perkins comment relates more to cross-branding release, I would believe.

Umm, just a point here. The first WOTC module, the one with the basic set whose name I'm blanking on, is generally very well regarded. The first AP, true, is lackluster. The current AP is currently at a 95% approval rating from reviewers here at EN World and all the buzz has been consistently positive.

Two out of three isn't bad is it?

Which forum is bigger than EN World outside of WOTC's?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
You may have misunderstood me. Plenty of folks from WotC read these forums; of course they do. What I've said is that I don't like these forums being used as a soapbox to send WotC a "message", because we've seen how obnoxious that always ends up being.

They don't post here under the current regime, that's true. That all stopped dead after Scott and Linae left. Up until then, WotC posted here all the time.

Russ, who still reads here? Which of the 13 remaining D&D employees is regulating READING the board...I know we've had a post or two, but reading? I mean, you're the only guy with access to that information. Are you saying they STILL regularly read the boards, now, long after all the layoffs and the edition changes? If the answer is "I'd rather not spoil their privacy" I understand. But this is brand new information to me. It opens WOTC to a lot more criticism in my opinion, if their extremely limited time is being spent reading this forum when they've said so many other projects have been ground to a stand still by one guy being on jury duty. That's the ramification of you saying they're still reading the forum. So, are you sure they're still spending that time here?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads