• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Chris Perkins: Reintroducing Settings in Ways that Surprise People

WotC's D&D Story Manager, Chris Perkins, was the subject of an interview by a chap called Chris "Wacksteven" Iannitti. One of the topics covered is campaign setting books; Perkins says that they want to reintroduce settings in "surprising" ways, and that they're not guaranteed to be books. (thanks to Mistwell for the scoop)

WotC's D&D Story Manager, Chris Perkins, was the subject of an interview by a chap called Chris "Wacksteven" Iannitti. One of the topics covered is campaign setting books; Perkins says that they want to reintroduce settings in "surprising" ways, and that they're not guaranteed to be books. (thanks to Mistwell for the scoop)

The video is below, but if you can't watch it right now, here are the highlights as listed by pukunui on WotC's website:

• He can't talk about products that haven't been announced yet
  • They value all of their worlds, as each one has "tons of fans"
  • They are focusing on specific areas within settings to detail and "codify" via their story bibles
  • Their goal is to "challenge people's expectations" re: sourcebooks
  • They're "not interested in releasing books for the sake of releasing books anymore"
  • They want book releases to be events that will "surprise and delight people"; they also want to put out books that people will actually use rather than books that will just get put on a shelf to "stay there and slowly rot"
  • "One of our creative challenges is to package [setting] material - reintroduce facts and important details about our worlds - in a way that we know that DMs and players are going to use, that's going to excite them, that's actually going to surprise them. We may get that content out, but I'm not going to guarantee it's going to be a book. I'm not going to guarantee that it's going to be anything that you've seen before. But it will be something."

[video=youtube;alnwC34qUFs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alnwC34qUFs&feature=youtu.be[/video]

This is a little off topic but I keep seeing this being stated. Sword Coast Legends is not an MMO. It's a multiplayer game for up to 4 players and a DM. It is, essentially, a single player RPG that allows other people to connect and play the other characters in your party while having a DM connect and be able to throw surprise encounters on you when he feels like it.

Unfortunately, it appears that people get super freaked out when they see the words "multiplayer" in an RPG. Bioware was going to release Shadow Realms this year, which was essentially the same thing. It was a multiplayer coop RPG with up to 4 people and a DM who got points to throw encounters at the players from time to time. I thought it sounded awesome. But then I read the comment section regarding the announcement that was entirely filled with people saying "We don't need another MMO! Why don't you just make a single player RPG?" Apparently, everyone complained at them for long enough that they officially cancelled the game a month ago.

Apologies in advance, I'm definitely going off on a tangent here, but multiplayer games get a bad rep for a lot of reasons, some well deserved, others not so much. A lot of games get horribly marred by intrusive DRM, rushed release schedules and server issues leaving them unplayable at release, and people get especially up-in-arms about it when it means the single player experience on the disk they paid for is ruined. Just look at any of the gaming press headlines from the last two years (SimCity, GTA5, Evolve, Master Chief Collection, etc.). I'd not heard of Shadow Realms, but I wouldn't touch any multiplayer RPG release by EA with a ten-foot-pole for those reasons alone.

Mostly though the problem with multiplayer RPGs is simply that they've all been abysmal at providing the sort of story and immersion that fans look for when they're looking to play, well, a role playing game. I don't want to say that a multiplayer game can't provide the kind of experience that Baldur's Gate, Knights of the Old Republic, Skyrim, Fallout, etc. did with single player, but Destiny and SWTOR certainly haven't. I'm hopeful that Sword Coast Legends will break the mold (or at least have a single player only mode), but remain skeptical that they won't fall into the same pit "Evolve" did, or that it'll allow DMs to actually tell stories with the game as opposed to throwing meaningless encounters at groups of players.

Jeremy E Grenemyer

Feisty
Supporter
If Perkins and company want to publish content that's used over and over, then it's time to start reprinting the Volo's Guides and commission new Guides for the post-Sundering Realms.

Last edited by a moderator:

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
So you'd be interested in campaign settings getting a treatment similar to the monsters in the new Monster Manual? Taking a bunch of old stuff, a bunch of newer stuff, and finding new ways to look at them/interpret the stories they have? If there were a CS book as inspiring and detailed as the MM monster lore, I'd love to get it. Well, not me personally, but if I later take an interest in a campaign setting beyond stealing any new game mechanics, I'll want something like that.

That's an interesting way to put the question. I feel like a lot of campaign settings are written like the Monster Manual -- low-detail map, major landmarks and settlements called out, brief cultural description, and a handful of vague hooks. Next page, new region. I'd rather see a whole book (read: AP) that gives us solid story- and player-affecting detail about a local region of import in narrative form. In my mind, this content would be set up like a module (conveniently enough), only instead of dungeon maps and encounter tables you have important locations laid out and a detailed account of recent history and major players. Then the adventure is layered on top of that setting material.

If I were just getting into the game you can be darn sure I'd want to buy full-fledged campaign settings. I'd also probably be a bit frustrated that I had to scour the web to find out what to get and how to get them. And then I'd have to wade through all the mechanical information that is completely obsoleted now.

If we're comparing personal opinions, now, it's worth noting that I'm the exact opposite of you. When I was just getting into the game I had no interest in campaign settings, and if the Internet had existed when I was 12 I would have been Googling every tidbit of D&D lore I could get my hands on and lamenting that I didn't have more money to spend on "completely obsolete" PDFs, just like I used to pore over the Mail Order Hobby Shop catalog and lament that I didn't have more money to spend on "completely obsolete" 1st Edition and BECMI sourcebooks.

Dndclassics.com looks to me like the /perfect/ environment for starting DMs.

That's kind of the point. People don't just play campaigns in FR and they may want to run it in a different setting. Making it generic-ish gives them the flexibility to set it elsewhere.
Besides, people don't specifically need to know that the Elemental Evils were related to the Dawn Titans who fought the gods at the beginning of time yadda yadda, they can make that up and fill in that flavor for themselves. They don't need that world-building spoon-fed to them.

If I'm making stuff up, why do I need to buy books at all? I buy books /because/ they tell me that the Elemental Evils are related to the Dawn Titans who fought the gods at the beginning of time yadda yadda. If they didn't, why would I bother?

I'm sorry, but that's a ridiculous sentiment. Any dungeon master worth his salt -- hell, literally /any dungeon master/ -- can /ignore/ fluff. It's substantially easier than ignoring crunch, which they can also do without breaking a sweat.

If you're publishing a D&D book, make it a D&D book! Wizards is not the Judges' Guild and this isn't the '80s -- they don't have to file off the serial numbers to avoid litigation or for any other reason. If it's a Forgotten Realms book, make it a Forgotten Realms book! That's why half of us are shopping!

They started referring to themselves by their old names during the same novels they came back to life. They only mention their old names to each other in one small scene and Regis tells everyone that he likes his new name and wants to stick with it. But, the rest feel like their old names are their real names and switch to them almost immediately when they move away from their new home towns where no one will recognize them.

And the facepalming is complete.

As for the FR, the problem is that the post-Sundering realms are actually somewhere between the 4e and 3e campaign settings. For instance, we know from the Sundering adventures, the novels and LMoP, HotDQ and PotA, that:

What I'm saying is that none of this matters. Farts in the wind, my son. I know there were changes. You can expect them all to be ignored and to never be mentioned again once 12 months have passed.

-A bunch of gods have returned. Even ones that were dead before 3e started.

No, my child, when you saw only one set of footprints in the sand, it was then that they were walking in single file, to hide their numbers. Like sandpeople.

-Neverwinter was still destroyed in the eruption of Mount Hotenow that existed in the 4e NWCS, Lord Neverember is still in charge of the city as per that book. Though we don't know how much of the city has been rebuilt, how much of an issue the Far Realm incursion still is, whether the Ashmodai still have a large presence there, and so on. Lost Mines starts in Neverwinter and you meet your contact there but the adventure doesn't say anything about the city at all other than it is a city and things can be bought there normally. We know that the Sundering has "completely cured the Spellplague" but we don't know if that means that all the spellplagued creatures went completely back to normal or not.

Neverwinter is fine, we're all fine here. How are you?

-We know the Sundering returned all the lands of Toril back to Toril...so presumably the map looks like the one in the 3e campaign setting again. However, Genasi have had their own country for nearly 100 years now. They've definitely spread out to other countries, however and their country vanishing leaves them without a homeland but they should be accepted as a normal part of the population by now. Regis in the novels remarks that his new mother was half genasi making him a quarter genasi and therefore he can hold his breath a long time. Likewise for Dragonborn. However, what we don't know is if the countries that have spent 100 years in Abeir have been changed at all by that process.

They didn't, they didn't, and they haven't.

-When the Weave returned everyone just pulled out old spellbooks and started casting spells the same way they did before the Spellplague. It works exactly the same as it did in 3e.

'Spellplague,' 'Spellplague,' 'Spellplague!' That's all you talk about! Stop it Majoru, you're scaring the children!

Using the best information we have now, it seems like the best option for running 4e is to use the 4e description of every country that isn't from Abeir. Then to replace the description of every other country with their 3e FRCS descriptions. Though, it would be nice to have an official post of information somewhere that at least had a summary of the Sundering changes so that we could make it work even without a CS.

Psst. I bet if you just use the 3rd Edition FRCS no one notices.

Apologies in advance, I'm definitely going off on a tangent here, but multiplayer games get a bad rep for a lot of reasons, some well deserved, others not so much. A lot of games get horribly marred by intrusive DRM

Oh ho. You don't need multiplayer to get intrusive DRM in this day and age, no sir.

Drop-in drop-out co-op is perfectly successful in some very CRPG-like genres -- I'm looking at the Borderlands, Saints Row, and Grand Theft Auto series, here. I kind of wonder whether if developers could actually write a game that didn't require the main character to be a Special Snowflake, if that wouldn't solve 90% of their multiplayer integration problems right then and there.

Jeremy E Grenemyer

Feisty
Supporter
IIRC, the last Sundering novel makes it clear that the Abeir and Toril are finished separating. It does not specify the fate of Akanul and Tymanther, but it does mention the Great Sand Sea is returning and the water line for the Sea of Fallen Stars is rising back to normal.

Thus an update to the Realms ought to be published in some form. it would be useful to those who'd like to know.

Though I am left wondering if the next round of novels might not touch on the fate of the wider Realms.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
I think it will be interesting to see how it plays out. Using the Unearthed Arcana articles to release players stuff for free and then using the released products to develop settings through adventures seems pretty cool to me. One of the issues I've always had with campaign settings is that, unless you like to homebrew (in which case you may not use the setting anyway), they are essentially giant teasers. They present an area and then give a little history, but you have to fill in the blanks yourself if you want to run adventures there.

One option to doing a "campaign setting" in 5E might be a large book of fully-stated locations so that DM's can pick it and up and the adventures are already ready. The closest I've seen to this is Ptolus, but the number of ready-to-go adventure locations in there is pure gold.

Remathilis

Legend
I wonder if the model for a new adventure is AP + Setting Info + Player's Web Enhancement?

For example, A planar adventure could give a 10-15 page background on Sigil, a 200+ adventure, and then the Planescape Player Companion has Bariaur, Githzerai, Aasimar, and Faction info. Ravenloft could have an overview, a few domains, and a Player Guide with Half-vistani and Anchorite domain. Dark Sun? Tyr, an adventure, and a companion with muls and half-giants. Eberron has Xen-drik, the adventure, and the updated/revised version of the UA material. Etc, etc.

Uchawi

First Post
Why does it not bode well?

The splat-crunch-avalanche has not worked out too well, so far; burn out; maybe they are trying to actually alter a bad tradition.

"…tradition is the illusion of permanence…"

-Woody Allen
My point is ratio of crunch, so if a caster can look forward to every adventure/supplement offering a new spell, then what entices the non-casting classes. Magic items are available for all classes. That is in addition to quality versus quantity, which I always favor the former, but not to the exclusion of only casting classes.

Staffan

Legend
I wonder if the model for a new adventure is AP + Setting Info + Player's Web Enhancement?

For example, A planar adventure could give a 10-15 page background on Sigil, a 200+ adventure, and then the Planescape Player Companion has Bariaur, Githzerai, Aasimar, and Faction info. Ravenloft could have an overview, a few domains, and a Player Guide with Half-vistani and Anchorite domain. Dark Sun? Tyr, an adventure, and a companion with muls and half-giants. Eberron has Xen-drik, the adventure, and the updated/revised version of the UA material. Etc, etc.

The main problem with that approach is that it lacks context. You kind of need some sort of setting overview to know how Tyr fits into the rest of Athas. The other problem is that it naturally limits the adventure/campaign to a small portion of the setting. This is somewhat problematic, because many of the best stories and campaigns come out of lots of traveling - the Hobbit would have been a very different story had Bilbo never left the Shire.

An interesting approach would be to do like in the AD&D version of Mystara. They never made an overview of the setting (unless you count Poor Wizard's Almanac), but in the Karameikos boxed set they had a few pages on the rest of the continent and a map covering two pages of the book. Enough to let you know "Glantri is a country up north with lots of wizards, and they don't like clerics there", but not much more than that.

Remove ads

Remove ads