D&D Movie/TV Chris Pine To Star In D&D Movie

The long, slow process towards a modern take on D&D movies took a large step forward with the announcement of a huge star signed to the project. Considering that filming is set to start soon a cascade of announcements should be revealed in initiative order imminently. Filming begins in Q1 2021. Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley will be directing the film which features "an ensemble...

The long, slow process towards a modern take on D&D movies took a large step forward with the announcement of a huge star signed to the project. Considering that filming is set to start soon a cascade of announcements should be revealed in initiative order imminently. Filming begins in Q1 2021.

Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley will be directing the film which features "an ensemble cast and take a subversive approach to the game."

chris-pine-variety-studio.jpg

Chris Pine has closed a deal to star in Dungeons & Dragons, the live action film based on Hasbro’s massively popular role-playing game from Wizards of the Coast. Hasbro/eOne and Paramount are jointly producing and financing, with eOne distributing in the UK and Canada, and Paramount the rest of the world.

Khelon Testudo

Cleric of Stronmaus
Yeah, it could be like Oceans 11 but with D&D characters stealing a dragon hoard. A very savvy dragon, so it's not just "kill it and take its stuff", but a well thought out plan to distract it and its minions.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Yeah, it could be like Oceans 11 but with D&D characters stealing a dragon hoard. A very savvy dragon, so it's not just "kill it and take its stuff", but a well thought out plan to distract it and its minions.
One of the campaigns I'm running is a two-player game with a bard and a rogue. Every adventure, even it was intended otherwise, turns into a heist, often with a complex Scooby-Doo plan.

Strongly recommended campaign style.

It is a positive sign they got an A-list actor attached to this. In years past we would be scrounging the bottom of the B-list and starting to go over the C-list, lol. Fortunately, memories of that Movie Which Shall Not Be Named have faded.

Pine is experienced in action, science fiction and superhero movies, so I believe he will do a solid job. I'd be curious to see him paired with Gwendoline Christie. But I'd probably somewhat play against type and have her character be more anti-hero than Brienne was.

His work isn't allegory, but it does contain commentary. The two are different, and it's only allegory that he rejected.
I believe the word Tolkien used is "applicability". He does not suggest that his fantasy is completely unrelated to real life, just that there is no deliberate X represents Y, as you would find in C. S. Lewis's books for example.

Ravenbrook

Explorer
I believe the word Tolkien used is "applicability". He does not suggest that his fantasy is completely unrelated to real life, just that there is no deliberate X represents Y, as you would find in C. S. Lewis's books for example.
I think I'll join the fray and quote Tolkien himself regarding the meaning of the LotR (L. 243):
"In The Lord of the Rings the conflict is not basically about 'freedom,' though that is naturally involved. It is about God, and His sole right to divine honour."

Remove ads

Remove ads