D&D Movie/TV Chris Pine To Star In D&D Movie

The long, slow process towards a modern take on D&D movies took a large step forward with the announcement of a huge star signed to the project. Considering that filming is set to start soon a cascade of announcements should be revealed in initiative order imminently. Filming begins in Q1 2021. Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley will be directing the film which features "an ensemble...

The long, slow process towards a modern take on D&D movies took a large step forward with the announcement of a huge star signed to the project. Considering that filming is set to start soon a cascade of announcements should be revealed in initiative order imminently. Filming begins in Q1 2021.

Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley will be directing the film which features "an ensemble cast and take a subversive approach to the game."

chris-pine-variety-studio.jpg

Chris Pine has closed a deal to star in Dungeons & Dragons, the live action film based on Hasbro’s massively popular role-playing game from Wizards of the Coast. Hasbro/eOne and Paramount are jointly producing and financing, with eOne distributing in the UK and Canada, and Paramount the rest of the world.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
No, they do, but they also see hundreds of movies a year, or their equivalent in whatever medium they review, and generally have more to say than just "I liked it, I didn't."

If anything, it's the fact that most people only see a few dozen movies a year makes them much more willing to put up with crap. If you're a critic, and you're seeing likely your 30th or 40th terrible movie of the year, you're not likely to be as indulgent.

(Also, I'm not sure why people get their feelings hurt when a critic doesn't like something. They're not going to slap your hand for enjoying it.)
No, no they don't always know or understand what is art or even great art when they see it—look at the examples that I gave. Monet got slammed. Elvis was dismissed. Brontë's Wuthering Heights was savaged by several critics. Nirvana's Nevermind was belittled before the success of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and causing a dramatic shift in popular music of the time. Critics are not the be-all-end-all of what is worthy in art (many of them don't even practice or study the art that they critique). And sometimes critics can kill careers (as Lester Bangs effectively shut down the MC5).

Farenn

Explorer
The long, slow process towards a modern take on D&D movies took a large step forward with the announcement of a huge star signed to the project. Considering that filming is set to start soon a cascade of announcements should be revealed in initiative order imminently. Filming begins in Q1 2021.

Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley will be directing the film which features "an ensemble cast and take a subversive approach to the game."

View attachment 130125

This is great news. Chris Pine is a really good actor and I think he would be perfect for the type of movie that they are envisioning. The last I heard the D&D movie was going to have a Guardians of the Galaxy type of vibe (Serious yet fun). Chris Pine fits this perfectly.

smetzger

Explorer
I think if they set out to make a D&D movie it will flop.
However... if they set out to make Dragonlance or Icewind Dale.... well then we have a chance at getting something decent.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
No, no they don't always know or understand what is art or even great art when they see it—look at the examples that I gave. Monet got slammed. Elvis was dismissed. Brontë's Wuthering Heights was savaged by several critics. Nirvana's Nevermind was belittled before the success of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and causing a dramatic shift in popular music of the time. Critics are not the be-all-end-all of what is worthy in art (many of them don't even practice or study the art that they critique). And sometimes critics can kill careers (as Lester Bangs effectively shut down the MC5).
I'm not sure one can draw a line between what critics were doing 150 years ago and what they're doing today.

Dausuul

Legend
I'm not sure one can draw a line between what critics were doing 150 years ago and what they're doing today.
Elvis and Nirvana weren't 150 years ago.

And if you want to see whether critics' judgement has stood the test of time, you have to look at critics whose judgements were made long enough ago to be tested.

Remove ads

Remove ads