• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Christian Persecution vs Persecuted Christians

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Asians make up about 5% of the US population. They appear, by this data, to be strongly overrepresented.

That is very much in line with their percentage of the population.

Again, Asians make up about 5% of the population. In 2014, by your statistics, they held 5% of the top spots in Fortune 500 companies. Where's the problem, again?

Please do more math problems. I like these.

A classic mistake. You check the wrong population numbers. Like for lawyers, Asian "population" is 11%, not 5,6%.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
A classic mistake. You check the wrong population numbers. Like for lawyers, Asian "population" is 11%, not 5,6%.

Yep, they are overrepresented in the profession of lawyer. They are perfectly represented in the position of senior partner of a law firm. Until they are underrepresented somewhere, the fact that they are overrepresented in a similar area isn't terribly meaningful. It just means that a many Asians make good lawyers, but about as many Asians as everyone else make good senior partners.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Only 3% are partners.

Statistics don't conform nice and neatly, though. Asians are a little underrepresented in partnerships, but are extremely overrepresented in upper management per your own numbers. About 3.5 times higher for upper management and 2.5 times higher for executives. Overall, they are overrepresented.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
So what word or concept would you like to use instead?
If you want a different word, that's on you. I'm not the one seeking to use a different word.

You don't get to assign me homework.
Only 3% are partners.
Yup, and that's pretty close the 5%. If it stays low there, maybe then we need to look at it. Given the turnover rate of partners nationally, I'm not concerned that it's a tad low at the moment. Especially given that they are either over-represented or dead on in other fields.
p

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
If you want a different word, that's on you.
I'm generally fine with it. You have the issue with it being used.

You don't get to assign me homework.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Yup, and that's pretty close the 5%.
But 3% far from 11%, which is the number of Asian lawyers. So they are underrepresented as partners, which is evidence of discrimination.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
But it isn't about overall stats, but how they are underrepresented at the top and how that is a sign of discrimination.

They aren't, though. Per your own numbers they are overrepresented at the top by huge margins. Focusing one one particular industry that just happens to be currently under the norm for asians is disingenuous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads