Citadel of the Iron Crown - Burglars in Mirkwood

Redclaw

First Post
Aerec looks on with interest, struck by something about the mark on the female.
[sblock=DM] Int check (1d20+0)=20 Go nat 20! Too bad there are no auto successes with skills. [/sblock]

Dlsharrock

First Post
[SBLOCK=Redclaw/Aerec](Interpretation of the roll is actually more based on luck than intelligence as Aerec has no knowledge of Black Speech or runes. Good roll though!) Aerec recalls seeing something like this rune before, some weeks past. Late was the hour and even the fringes of Mirkwood were darkening to shadow with an unnatural haste that day. So do the working days of the camp grow shorter as the woods grow ever more perilous, and thus had Aerec been returning with one of the pack ponies from a felling site, taking one of the vague twisting paths, thick with roots and lined with vegetation. The lumberjack that day had dallied with his use of the horse and Aerec was in a sore mood, having been forced to wait longer than he should. With such preoccupation did his mind wander, and so too his feet, until he found himself away from the path and briefly lost in a part of the forest he did not recognise. It was during this time that Aerec stumbled upon a dell of widely spaced trees and scattered stones. Upon some trees were carved marks, much like the rune upon the forehead of the female thief. An air of ill content lay about that place and Aerec had not lingered there for long, hurrying instead onward and eventually toward the sound of the falls. This way did he stumble and trip his way back to the camp.[/SBLOCK]
[SBLOCK=renau1g/Ulfang]Ulfang does not recognise the strange character scribed on the forehead of the thief, but he recognises its implication and feels uncomfortable even standing in its presence.[/SBLOCK]
[SBLOCK=Shayuri/Aranel]Aranel cannot interpret the exact meaning, but she senses the connotation and has no doubt that the rune portends some far greater evil than mere burglary.[/SBLOCK]
[SBLOCK=Binder_Fred/Baran]Baran has had no dealings with such a thing. He knows of dwarven runes, of course, like the ones upon his parchment, or the delving script of Angerthas Daeron, but he can only write and read standard Khuzdul runic, and has come to write more often in common Westron when keeping ledger or journal.[/SBLOCK]
Gellion returns from the back room. He clears his throat, "I have closed the window foredwarf Baran."

Binder_Fred said:
Binder Fred, busy, busy day today, quite tired.
Appreciate the effort Fred ;)

Last edited:

Redclaw

First Post
Aerec's eyes hone in on the mark, and he struggles to remember where he has seen such a thing before. Then, with an excited grunt, he nods his head enthusiastically. "I have seen marks like that. I can't swear that any were identical, but the resemblance is undeniable. They were carved into trees in a small dell not too far from here. I was a bit..." he hesitates, ashamed to admit it, "...lost, so I don't know that I can find it again. But it was near enough to the falls that I was able to navigate by their sound."

Shayuri

First Post
Aranel looks sharply at Aerec when he mentions marks carved on trees, then kneels gracefully near the male Stoor and says quietly, "Who is your master, and why were you sent here?"

Dlsharrock

First Post
[SBLOCK=tidied up OOC about interrogation rolls]
There are two ways you guys can go from this point.
Pls confirm which way you'd like to play the interrogation- rollplay or roleplay.

ROLLPLAY
Interrogation is broken down into rounds with Baran and Aranel as chief interrogators. Each round has two question slots which can be filled based on suggestions/discussion between all 4 players. Questions for proceeding rounds will likely depend on results from previous rounds. Feel free to use sneaky tactics (verifying previous answers, looking for inconsistencies etc.) and I encourage all players to participate. You should allocate a thief for each question. DC for the girl will be much higher than the male as she's very nearly mute.

For the first round we'll go with 'Who is your master?' and 'why were you sent here?' for the male Stoor.

Rollplay assumes all four are active participants in the interrogation, but only Baran and Aranel are forthright in posing questions so they deal directly with the thieves. Gellion will stay out of it.

Per round, I will make 2 Diplomacy checks for Baran and Aranel using Aid Another rules (1 check per question. They're effectively aiding each other in the interrogation, so each check not only determines truth/lie but also rolls of 10 or more add +2 bonus to the other PC's respective check) ...and four Sense Motive checks, one per player, again- I'll roll.

The Diplomacy rolls represent the use of tact, subtlety and a way with words to cajole/intimidate and trick the truth out of the thieves and are DC based. I'll be keeping results secret, but revealing to some extent the result of Sense Motive checks (opposed Bluff rolls in the case of a lie, straight forward DC in the case of truth) by giving each answer a reliability percentile, representing the judgement of the group as a whole (all four PCs).

Successful diplomacy rolls will weedle the truth out of the thief while failed rolls will result in stubborn lies or outright refusal to respond.

If the thief tells the truth and Sense Motive rolls average out as good (3/1 success/fail) the group will *probably* deem the thief's answer as pretty believable and his body language as being consistent with telling the truth (or at least not seeming overtly shifty) resulting in a 60%-99% reliability. If the thief lies and Sense Motive rolls average out as good the group will *probably* be suspicious (1% to 39% reliable). If the thief tells the truth and Sense Motive rolls average as bad (1/3 success/fail) there'll be no telling if the answer is true or not resulting in a middle-ground reliability of 40%-59%. If the thief lies and Sense Motive rolls average as bad then it's likely his lie will be believed, resulting in an appropriately high percentile. For 2/2 Sense Motive rolls I'll deem the result based on the nature of the question/lie/truth, but the result will likely be 40%-59%.

I'll also adjust percentiles if I think a lie is outrageous or the truth is ambiguous and PCs would know this. I might request the odd Knowledge or INT check as we go.

Players themselves will, of course, be able to override Sense Motive results if they think the percentile roll is bunkum. ie Calling bluff even when the Sense Motive shows truth.

Each round of interrogation lasts (edit in hindsight) 1d6 minutes, min 2. This represents the way questions are posed, not asked outright but put forward in such a way that the thief is more likely to spill the beans, and includes the response too, of course.

ROLEPLAY
Self explanatory I guess :) Probably the preference, but given the turn rate it could take a long time. I'd expect elements of roleplay with the first option anyway.
[/SBLOCK]

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
(I don't mind taking time with it...it's a pretty crucial moment to the story...plus, Aranel is not a diplomat...though she's fairly good with Sense Motive :))

Remove ads