• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Class Compendium Feats and Weaponmaster is out!

Aegeri

First Post
Here is a direct link so you can go and get the feats. I'm not sure if they are behind the paywall or not. I would suspect not but I won't say for sure. After a quick look I totally called that you would need multiple feats for a wizard to pick up mage school benefits (from a discussion ages ago). You need three feats to pick all of them up - albeit getting evocation works nicely I have to admit. They do in fact require the previous feat as well, so a wizard needs at least 3 feats to pinch everything a mage gets (but that was obvious, it was NEVER EVER going to be 1 feat).

Anyway it is now up for those to see.

Edit: Fighter (Weaponmaster) is out as well and guess what, come and get it was nerfed. Hilarious.

Edit2: Wow was it ever nerfed.

Last edited:

This is a step in the right direction. A small step, but still.

More, WotC, more. Please. D&D has felt pretty dead the last few months -- more articles like these will hopefully get the blood pumping a little bit.

Incenjucar

Legend
A free book is certainly a good way to soothe a few hurts.

Though man I really wish they didn't mix the class training feats up with the divinity feats like that.

Obryn

Hero
CaGI really had to be nerfed, sadly. When no other power at a given level is even competitive...

edit: I just read it, and I don't think it's all that nerfed, honestly. While you lose the auto-pull and ability mod damage, it's nevertheless a Weapon vs. Will attack now, so you're a lot more likely to do the damage. Still a really incredible power, honestly.

(And, fwiw, you now auto-mark every enemy in a close burst 3, not just those you could get adjacent to you - and thus attack - before.)

-O

Last edited:

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
CaGI really had to be nerfed, sadly. When no other power at a given level is even competitive...

-O
That being the case, I'd have expected Rain of Blows to get the bat as well, but it didn't.

I will note that I don't disagree with you, I am just a little surprised.

chitzk0i

Explorer
I was disappointed that they reprinted the same old bottom-basement powers with only a couple nerfs. Why go to all this trouble just to stick some flavor text on the exact same thing?

Then I reminded myself they cancelled the book this was going to be in, most likely because it wouldn't sell well. :/

Obryn

Hero
That being the case, I'd have expected Rain of Blows to get the bat as well, but it didn't.

I will note that I don't disagree with you, I am just a little surprised.
Rain of Blows is only godlike under certain optimizations, and only with certain weapons and stats. Otherwise, it's just an Encounter Twin Strike, against a single target. CaGI was basically an auto-choice - it might as well have been the Fighter L7 Class Feature.

I don't think there's any comparison, honestly.

-O

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
Rain of Blows is only godlike under certain optimizations, and only with certain weapons and stats. Otherwise, it's just an Encounter Twin Strike, against a single target. CaGI was basically an auto-choice - it might as well have been the Fighter L7 Class Feature.

I don't think there's any comparison, honestly.

-O
Most of the fighters I've had in my games or played along side in others' games have used it (Rain of Blows), and to really good effect. I guess though, that they were all built to take good advantage of it. It strikes me as the kind of power that's worth building for.

Upon a bigger picture examination, you're right though, and checking the compendium, I see now that it had already been nerfed quite a while ago. That's what I get for looking something up in the book. Heh.

Now that I think of it, not just most fighters I've played beside or had in a game took CaGI - ALL of them did. And for good reason. I again agree with you in that I don't think it's much weaker now though, if at all.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads