Class exclusive skills and multi-classing

Oogar

First Post
Okay, will someone help me with this. I need to know if this is acceptable, OR know where to find the ruling that says it cannot be done.

1. I make a rogue, he is level 1. As one of his skills I take Decipher Script (Class exclusive) and put 4 ranks into it (Max it out for the level).
2. The Rogue Multi-Classes (Takes a level in fighter, Indiana Jones, here we come), he is now a 2nd level character, 1/1.
3. Next level my Rogue/Fighter adds another level of Rogue. He raises his Decipher Script to 6...

I can see the argument that might try and limit him to 5 in this skill on an intelectual level, only. I do not see anything in the Skills rules (PHB p.57-p62) preventing this. If you have any specific ruling, please give book and page number (Not really looking for a "Because....", rather in need of a specific rule and where to find it). Thanks.

I am leaning towards allowing this in my game, as long as the levels are there I don't really think that it will be unbalancing. Yet I would like to confirm that there are no direct rulings on this matter. And if there are, I would like to see if solid reasons are given.:D

Oogar

First Post
well..... Actually I have been having a bit of a glitch with downloading certain files, and that is one of them. I have been putting off a full format :p I suppose I need to do it, but the system lacks good back up capacity (no zip, or r/w CD).

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The answer you seek is in the PHB, pg 56 (discussing skills of multiclass characters):

"If a skill is unavailable to a class...then levels in that class don't increase the multiclass character's maximum ranks."

They then give an example - a 7th level rogue/4th level wizard, has a maximum of 10 ranks in Use Magic Device, which is a rogue exclusive skill.

Remove ads