D&D 5E Class guides?

Ahglock

First Post
Any class guides based more on cool over numbers?

Don't know why but I find them entertaining to read.

To give a frame of reference I was reading wizard guide and the cantrips for move earth said something like buy a shovel. And I'm thinking you're a wizard/sorcerer whatever not a peasant. You move earth with magic not a shovel.

The class doesn't matter that much just more the style based builds as opposed to raw effectiveness.

G

Guest 6801328

I'd also love to see some more interesting class guides. It seems the common approach of color-coding the various options must have developed during previous editions that were crunchier.

Also, there this weird thing going on with most guides that the rationale for the color-coding are written in a way that assume you already know a lot about mechanics and synergies, but if that is the case then you probably don't need the options reduced to a single color.

I'd like to see:
- Cool tricks you can do with the class. (i.e., "10 Ways to Use Stealth" for a rogue)
- Fun combos & synergies (an example might be how a Barbarian with Shield Master gets Advantage on his Shove.)
- Good synergies with other classes to look out for

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
The list here is actually pretty good -- I'm sure you've seen some of these. But different people have different tastes -- I actually like reading guides that model a different sort of play than I like, because it points to the assumptions I'm making about my own play style.

I see guides not as a model for how to build a character, but a way to see something in the system through another person's eyes.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
If you're looking in the character optimization boards, the guilds will be about how to optimize that class mechanically. Some talk about fun things you do, often rating them some color outside the normal poor to fantastic scale because that varies a lot by DM.

I don't know if people have written guides simply about "cool things you can do in his class", but it sounds like a fun idea. Why not pick a class and start one, see what else gets contributed.

Ahglock

First Post
I might have to try and make one. My problem is I have a hard enough time typing a short post out in a fashion people can understand. Organizing my thoughts in a order that makes sense doesn't come naturally to me when I'm writing.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
I might have to try and make one. My problem is I have a hard enough time typing a short post out in a fashion people can understand. Organizing my thoughts in a order that makes sense doesn't come naturally to me when I'm writing.
I sympathize with your problem.

I have a similar problem in which I cannot store and recall memories chronologically. It doesn't make writing my thoughts out difficult... but it does make conversation a bit strange because I'll say something like "Hey, remember the other day when X happened?" and someone will respond "The other day? That was 3 years ago!", or the reverse where I feel like something happened a long time ago and it was actually just earlier that weekend.

Also, there this weird thing going on with most guides that the rationale for the color-coding are written in a way that assume you already know a lot about mechanics and synergies, but if that is the case then you probably don't need the options reduced to a single color.

It's because the biggest use for the guides was scaffolding and shortlisting to support character building in 3.5/PF/4E. If you're looking to build a 13th level warlord for 4E, the list of powers and feats you'd need to read to make decisions yourself is yooge and a 50-60%+ of them are terrible.

Given that, it's much faster to grab the guide, only read anything that has a cool/thematic name and is coloured blue then pick from that significantly reduced list. Doing this you can make a moderately optimised character in minutes as opposed to the hours required if you'd have to actually read the power descriptions yourself.

5E has many fewer options than 3.5/PF/4E , both trap options and absolute numbers of choices (possibly as low as 1%, I think 4E has over 1,600 published feats, of which 1,200 are just trash). As a result you don't need the scaffolding to help make characters quickly. It's still helpful for making spell lists though imho. Screw reading all the spells that a bard has access to.

Last edited:

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
It's still helpful for making spell lists though imho. Screw reading all the spells that a bard has access to.

That's an interesting point: the way spells are set out in the PHB, it's hard to browse for a particular class -- either you are constantly flipping back to the spell lists, or you read all the way through, not knowing whether a spell can be cast by a particular class.

It's more work than is needed for the reader.

JohnnyNitro

First Post
Playing a (Variant) Human Barbarian (Elk Totem, eventually [hopefully!])with Shield Master as we speak. It's been ridiculously effective since we first stepped in to the Death House. Famous last words??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. Guides are often written from a certain point of view. Many guides aim for highest damage. The good thing about that is that you can easily find spells and abilities and combinations that do good damage. This is important, because eventually there will be a fight.

The better guides however also look at utility options that help you do more than just damage. Move earth is a spell that has little direct combat application but being able to dig a hole fast may be worth more than any damage you could deal.

Remove ads