D&D 5E Classes that Suck

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
True grognards started playing the game before Non Weapon Proficencies or Skills we're even around.
Ah, the "good ol' days" LOL. We didn't even roll for most stuff, we just told the DM what we wanted to do. IF there was a system in place (e.g. breaking open a door), then we would roll, but otherwise it was often just a statement, "Ok, we use our rope and pitons and climb up the cliff face.", etc.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Honestly, as long as both racial languages and Common are a thing, Human should be a distinct language from Common anyway. Common as the de facto Human language, which pretty much everyone else conveniently speaks, feels...odd. It paints humans as the default that everyone else bends toward, and takes away one of the few possible points of distinction that could make humans feel distinct from other peoples: as is, there's basically nothing that's unique to humans.

Divorced from being synonymous with a racial language, Common would come across more like a pidgin language, or something along those lines: a simplified conglomeration of a number of different languages that lets everyone convey basic concepts to each other - if not complex, philosophical debate or the like. It wouldn't be strictly necessary to share a non-Common language to be able to converse or negotiate under that paradigm, but it would certainly help grease the wheels a bit.

(This is only tangentially related, at best, to what classes do or don't suck, but humans not having their own language when every other core species does is a long-standing pet peeve of mine.)

I tend to agree, DnD is so human-centric most of the time. Honestly, Common is the human language, as far as I'm concerned, and it is just a quirk of design that all the races get to speak "Humanish" because most of the settings are heavily human dominated.

I disagree. Stat blocks are just an average. Dwarves can fight with picks or warhammers instead of battleaxes. They can speak Dwarvish and Gnomish instead of Common.

Even if they can speak Common, why would they speak Common to you. Dwarves are notoriously stubborn and insular.

Um, the dwarven racial weapons include a warhammer, so I don't know why you felt the need to differentiate that from the battleaxe.

And again, while you can change it, the default is that all Dwarves speak Common and Dwarvish. And while dwarves are stubborn and insular, they can be that way speaking a language that the other people understand, because telling someone to go away in a language they don't understand doesn't help.

And, if they are grouchy and insular enough not to speak in Common to the party, then they are grouchy and Insular enough to tell the dwarvish speaking fighter to go get stuffed and leave them alone. Which brings us back to square one of the discussion. If the fighter wants to charm the dwarf by speaking dwarvish and challenging him to a drinking contest, he might still have to roll Persuasion, and with nothing except GM Fiat to fall back on, the Bard is going to be better than the fighter, and if they need to talk to the dwarf for plot reasons then everyone is going to look to the Bard to do it, not the fighter.

Hahaha

You know the Grognards they were trying to placate where the 3.X ones though. It's why we got the Fighter back to "You get FEATS!", the Ranger is a caster by default, and the Sorcerer doesn't have that cool metamorphosis aspect from the play tests and is just a pale imitation of the 3.X one... Heck, they probably brought Performance as a skill just for them too.

Man I still mourn the "might have been" for that Sorcerer. Such a cool concept.

Chaosmancer

Legend
I know right? Imagine the transformations for the Wild Soul... or the UA Clockwork Soul and Abberant Soul?! Would have been crazy!

Even just the concept, two souls in one body, higher levels you start becoming and ascending into the same type of entity that gave you power. So much flavor there.

Ashrym

Legend
Apologies for the long post. Just catching up.

I guess that means Paladins have their cake and eat it too.

Not really. That only works for the paladins on a 5mwd and smites eat slots fast for spike damage.

PDK/bannaret or samurai still spikes with action surge and multiple attacks. Either can be built with a diplomancer style with PDK being easier.

A person can go battle master and still do something similar because they are less MAD than a paladin with more ASI's.

First of all, I still don't get why D&D even balance things like this, why one must suck at Fighting to be useful when there's no Fighting. Even if you think it's an important balancing tool, I think the Fighter's Fighteriness is over valued compared to its lack of Social graces (same with the Barbarian, but at least one of its subclass has rituals that could technically be useful).

The Paladin you mention? Yeah his social utility spells compete with Smites... but that competition only lasts until the next long rest. If you're spending multiple days in the city and don't expect to get into any fights, then you're not penalized for spending spell slots on social tricks until a surprise fight breaks out... but that aspect to me is a lot more balanced than what the Fighter gets.

Fighters don't get that opportunity, they're locked in. Which is why the Battlemaster Maneuver that give skill bonus are actually a good thing.

And the PDK doesn't actually have 'social aspects'. It gets ONE skill proficiency with a bonus that will probably just compensate for having subpar Charisma (you don't need Charisma for anything else as a PDK, so why should you waste points on it?). Something the Samurai also gets while still being solid in battle. The Battlemaster ALSO gets a non-damage based ability at level 7, it's not particularly rare or exceptional.

I don't know why you think a fighter sucks at fighting by not going battle master. To me, that just looks like "if you're not first you're last". All fighters are good at combat from a solid chassis.

As for low charisma, the premise is we want a social fighter. If the goal is social aspects it doesn't make sense to avoid charisma. It's generally a 14 or 16 with that focus IME so a player can gauge the likelihood favor requests succeed.

It's slower than a rogue or bard focused in the same area but still good. It's high level where this feature flourishes.

I would actually argue the long rest isn't really needed for the paladin, though.

The smites fall behind in damage as the day and number of encounters increases (outside of good spikes) but they have enough spells known and slots that they can fit in some utility spells. I just don't think it's enough compared to at-will persuasion for favors using free expertise.

The point was the more one is used for the paladin the less there is of the other. My game days mix different types of encounters so the long rest is moot IME.

The Oath of the Ancient Paladin gets Speak with Animals, which opens up all sorts of source of information.

Which is why it's rated so high in the guides and prominent in most discussions on utility? ;-)

I kid. I agree it's useful. It's also available to anyone who wants it with a feat (to be clear, feats are limited -- it's still a trade off).

A Battlemaster is just as effective, and with Rally, might even want better charisma than the PDK so his Persuasion could easily be as high.

I'm repeating myself here. The PDK has no reason not to invest because the premise is social ability.

A battle master who went 20 charisma would still be behind a PDK who went 10 CHA even if this were the case, and in doing so the PDK would have the opportunity to apply that investment in another ability score or feats, and would still be up one skill proficiency.

The fighter has no way to assist outside of combat without GM fiat.

Because STR, athletics, and equipment aren't common on a fighter?

Fighters can help with the action or contribute via group checks at the very least.

The PDK example easily succeeds DC 15 favor requests regularly.

Fighters don't have a lot of options, granted, but they always have options. The lack is in unique options.

Need to convince the local baron to lend you support? Social Classes only. I see it all the time.

Except "social class" isn't a game term. It's a player perception based on the preconception that CHA synergy is required to make a social character. It's not.

Because every time you picked up the dice, and you always had to pick up the dice, you were just making things harder for everyone, and having the DM bend over backwards to not derail the story.

Rolling isn't necessary every time. That's a basic 5e concept.

Making a high bonus only requires investment. Some CHA, a bonus proficiency, and expertise is available on PDK's. Samurai add WIS bonus.

The DM doesn't need to bend over backwards if the player actually invests in these traits he or she wants.

Basically "Shut up and sit down, the CHA casters are talking" right?

I'm going to point out that I never take persuasion expertise on a bard. Proficiency plus CHA bonus plus JoaT us more than enough. Sorcerers and Warlocks don't get free expertise like PDK (or the samurai bonus).

PDK expertise puts the fighter in the same ball park even without a CHA bonus. Persuasion expertise is the reason to okay a PDK.

I agree, players play and be clever, but saying "well anyone can try to climb the mountain" kind of ignore the point of one person is likely to fall to their death, and the other has a climb speed so it is exactly the type of thing they are supposed to be doing.

No one falls to their deaths because the standard for failure is not progressing. A climbing kit prevents falling even if a DM adds a falling condition for a low check

Then what was the use of the Bard putting their expertise in persuasion and playing a glamour bard to charm people?

See above. It's a waste of expertise given then existing bonuses already. Use expertise where it'll do more good shoring up a low ability score.

Not your point, of course, but the glamour bard has the advantage of charm still. The attitude shift is faster that way.

Barbarian, Fighter, Ranger, Druid, and Monk get nothing to really affect social scenes.

Social abilities for fighters have been mentioned in this thread. They clearly exist. The argument is players choose not to make use of them.

I think it's a big failing of the rules that it's just a small aside instead of a core feature. The skills, for exemple, are all detailed in the section of the book relating to their default ability instead of being explained in their own section.

I agree. There should have been more page count invested in skills.

DM empowerment also creates inconsistencies between tables.

I use ability checks on fighters all the time. Even perform. ;-)

The open nature of ability checks is something I really like but the consistency issues do exist, and the open nature leads to DM's and players not knowing what they might be capable big in that system.

Well, we are supposed to use the racial statblock for all NPCs, and every dwarf gets Dwarvish and Common, Every elf gets Elvish and Common, Every Gnome gets Gnomish and Common.

And every human gets +1 language.

So, I'd say most people in DnD get two languages.

Yes. I was going to mention this too but you beat me to it. I find several languages pointless for social checks because those beings all speak common anyway.

Undrave

Legend
I'm repeating myself here. The PDK has no reason not to invest because the premise is social ability.

Is it really though? the PDK only has a social ability at level 7, where EVERY OTHER Subclass gets a non-combat ability.

I don't think the Purple Dragon Knight really embodies the idea of 'Social Abilities' well at all. Certainly not to the degree to justify its attrocious class features.

I don't have the fluff of the PDK, but I feel like it's not meant to be a 'Social' class as much as a Warlord-lite. A bad one at that. Being good at persuasion is just a side effect of this ability to command troops, it's not really part of its core.

Ashrym

Legend
Is it really though? the PDK only has a social ability at level 7, where EVERY OTHER Subclass gets a non-combat ability.

I don't think the Purple Dragon Knight really embodies the idea of 'Social Abilities' well at all. Certainly not to the degree to justify its attrocious class features.

I don't have the fluff of the PDK, but I feel like it's not meant to be a 'Social' class as much as a Warlord-lite. A bad one at that. Being good at persuasion is just a side effect of this ability to command troops, it's not really part of its core.

The spirit of the class is warlord in 5e fighter mechanics. I don't think that will ever measure up to people's expectations of a warlord.

The mechanical reason is for royal envoy. Rallying cry and inspiring surge are decent enough but not a significant draw. Bulwark isn't worth it, but by that time the expertise has become significant.

If I want to make a fighter with some social impact, the extra proficiency and free expertise is a clear step up. I go half-elf or human for more skills and prodigy to complement it. Usually DEX based too.

The buttons approach isn't there but there is definitely a social encounter build. The other non-combat features are generally behind but elegant courtier is close, which gets back to my main point -- fighters get non-combat abilities in the subclasses. The class bonus ASI'S can also be used for non-combat and the PC can still be good at combat.

What tends to happen is I give up some CON.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I suppose it depends on what CON you would otherwise have? IME, I don't see many build starting out with CON 16 except maybe mountain dwarves.

You can still have a CON 14, with STR or DEX 16, and CHA 16 given the half-elf build (with 10's in everything else) for a very "social" fighter.

Asisreo

Patron Badass
The spirit of the class is warlord in 5e fighter mechanics. I don't think that will ever measure up to people's expectations of a warlord.

The mechanical reason is for royal envoy. Rallying cry and inspiring surge are decent enough but not a significant draw. Bulwark isn't worth it, but by that time the expertise has become significant.

If I want to make a fighter with some social impact, the extra proficiency and free expertise is a clear step up. I go half-elf or human for more skills and prodigy to complement it. Usually DEX based too.

The buttons approach isn't there but there is definitely a social encounter build. The other non-combat features are generally behind but elegant courtier is close, which gets back to my main point -- fighters get non-combat abilities in the subclasses. The class bonus ASI'S can also be used for non-combat and the PC can still be good at combat.

I've looked over PDK a little more in-depth and I've considered exactly how they would act in actual play.

Their 3rd-level ability is actually the best healing ability in the game! ...or it would be if it worked how one would have initially read it (how I initially read it). The feature is an AoE heal that procs on a bonus action. It can heal an average of 17.5 HP total at level 3, as soon as you get the feature. The HP is spread, though. It can only occur once per combat, too. Now, can they heal an unconscious someone with it? Ask your DM. The unconscious condition specifies that the creature is unaware of its surroundings but it doesn't say it can hear them. Though, most DM's would probably rule no. It's still the best healing at that level and competes with some of the others, but healing while active isn't as useful. At least it's a bonus action.

The 7th level ability matches up with basically every other PHB fighter class, in that they aren't all that useful for combat. Remarkable athlete has a small initiative bonus and might be useful for positioning, but it's not amazing. Battlemaster's 7th level ability is really just gaining intel which has absolutely no direct impact on combat. Eldritch smite may seem useful, but what cantrips are you casting to sacrifice your 2 attacks in an action for 1 cantrip and 1 BA attack? Maybe you need to get out of an enemy's range without an AoO so you use shocking grasp or you need to do serious tanking and cast Blade Ward, but otherwise, it doesn't seem useful. But yeah, expertise in persuasion should solve the whole "if I'm not good at talking, why talk?" Thing.

Inspiring Surge can be incredibly powerful but it depends on your teammates. If they're Barbarians or Paladins, this is quite an excellent ability. If they're wizards and rogues, not so much.

Bulwark is pretty useful. Chances are, by level 15, most mental saves will be AoE like Dragons or Fear spells. Being able to grant others the ability to re-roll if they desire can be pretty good.

So I don't think it will be horrible in practice. It takes the fighter chassis and gives it a support role which it does a mediocre job at. It's like baby's first bard. A good introduction to the support role without having to commit fully into it.

Undrave

Legend
I've looked over PDK a little more in-depth and I've considered exactly how they would act in actual play.

Their 3rd-level ability is actually the best healing ability in the game! ...or it would be if it worked how one would have initially read it (how I initially read it). The feature is an AoE heal that procs on a bonus action. It can heal an average of 17.5 HP total at level 3, as soon as you get the feature. The HP is spread, though. It can only occur once per combat, too. Now, can they heal an unconscious someone with it? Ask your DM. The unconscious condition specifies that the creature is unaware of its surroundings but it doesn't say it can hear them. Though, most DM's would probably rule no. It's still the best healing at that level and competes with some of the others, but healing while active isn't as useful. At least it's a bonus action.

It's more situation than it appears at first. If you need the heal from Second Wind but your allies are relatively fresh, then your heal is wasted, inversely if you're feeling fresh and your allies (with low HP) are in trouble, you might end up wasting your Second Wind to heal them and find yourself out of it later on. It also scales poorly, as level HP becomes less and less of a chunk of healing as you level up. It also does not work on unconscious allies because they can't see or hear you.

I know, you'll say it's the trade off of using the ability that you need to be tactical about it and all that... but that's your ONLY level 3 ability, and its rider to something you already have! And you'll never have more use of it because you only have 1 Second Wind.

The 7th level ability matches up with basically every other PHB fighter class, in that they aren't all that useful for combat. Remarkable athlete has a small initiative bonus and might be useful for positioning, but it's not amazing. Battlemaster's 7th level ability is really just gaining intel which has absolutely no direct impact on combat. Eldritch smite may seem useful, but what cantrips are you casting to sacrifice your 2 attacks in an action for 1 cantrip and 1 BA attack? Maybe you need to get out of an enemy's range without an AoO so you use shocking grasp or you need to do serious tanking and cast Blade Ward, but otherwise, it doesn't seem useful. But yeah, expertise in persuasion should solve the whole "if I'm not good at talking, why talk?" Thing.

Inspiring Surge can be incredibly powerful but it depends on your teammates. If they're Barbarians or Paladins, this is quite an excellent ability. If they're wizards and rogues, not so much.

Those two abilities are pretty good yeah. Inspiring Surge does conflict with a ton of decent reactions that someone might prefer to use, and as you say, it depends on who gets to use it (A Rogue would actually like it, provided they're in a position to get Sneak Attack). But Inspiring Surge letting you pick a second target takes the place of a proper level 18 ability. You get no capstone for your class and you still only have a limited number of Action Surge from your base class. So you're basically down on ressources and have no passive abilities like a Champion does to compensate.

Bulwark is pretty useful. Chances are, by level 15, most mental saves will be AoE like Dragons or Fear spells. Being able to grant others the ability to re-roll if they desire can be pretty good.

So I don't think it will be horrible in practice. It takes the fighter chassis and gives it a support role which it does a mediocre job at. It's like baby's first bard. A good introduction to the support role without having to commit fully into it.

Bulwark is actually terrible because of all the condition you have to meet. First of all, its needlessly limited to only Mental saves while Indomitable works on all saves, then you need to fail that save, your allies need to be in range of the same effect and ALSO fail that save, and then they have to take the second roll.

If you compare that to a Paladin's Aura it's pretty lame. Especially at level 15.

If all of the PDK's combat ability were paired with a minor non-combat buff, then I'd be more forgiving. The trade off would be obvious. Here... not so much.

Remove ads