D&D 5E Cleric-dependant parties

Lawngnome4hire

First Post
It feels like the game was designed with the assumption that no one is playing a healer. Healing potions are dirt cheap, and the entire "dying" system (including death saves, the medicine skill, healer's kits, etc.) only makes sense in a party without a healer.

While the massive damage rules are a joke, I've had characters die due to failed death saves even with a cleric in the group. It's actually not that hard to die that way if you're players aren't smart enough to immediately rush to them and get them up. Especially if you have more than 1 character go down in the same round.

Lalato

Adventurer
While the massive damage rules are a joke, I've had characters die due to failed death saves even with a cleric in the group. It's actually not that hard to die that way if you're players aren't smart enough to immediately rush to them and get them up. Especially if you have more than 1 character go down in the same round.

I agree. It's not really that difficult to die from failed death saves. This is especially true when multiple people go down at the same time. When your allies are faced with the choice of stabilize or fight... fight is usually the best option. So, you might go several rounds before someone attempts to stabilize you... and a bad run will mean you're dead. Oh... and don't forget that taking damage means you fail death saves automatically.

drjones

Explorer
It feels like the game was designed with the assumption that no one is playing a healer. Healing potions are dirt cheap, and the entire "dying" system (including death saves, the medicine skill, healer's kits, etc.) only makes sense in a party without a healer.

Maybe, but it's not like 4th where I regularly knocked players down every round to have them pop back up, only a small portion of their healing surges used. If you are at 1 HP you are one crit away from dead in many cases. Bleeding out is a little safer because of the positive save track and the variety of ways to stabilize with a low DC but only mean DMs with cruel/intelligent adversaries are going to finish off wounded PCs mid fight, a PC with 1 HP who is attacking on the other hand gets the full claw-claw-bite.

GameDoc

Explorer
Related to the general topic, does it seem odd to anyone else that Druids are the only class that can be proficient with herbalism kits and therefore the only ones that can craft healing potions?

Any other class has to take the Hermit background, take the Skilled feat, or take the better part of a year off from adventuring to gain that proficiency. Seems like the cleric, as the archtypical healer, ought to have easier access to it, especially if your playing basic rules only (no Druids, no hermits, no feats).

Last edited:

Stormonu

Legend
Also, the party has to realize if healing is a little less that they need to play a bit smarter. Character can attack at range and stay out of harms way or sneak around to get surprise so they don't get injured as easily.

Or avoid extraneous enemy combat encounters altogether. That includes talking your way out of having to fight or looking for ways around enemies. Though my group is playing with a cleric, I could see if they were being more cautious, they wouldn't require a healer-type in the group.

The way 5E is structured, it is very, very difficult not to take a hit of some sort in combat. Even with a cleric, it's a bad idea to go guns blazing into every encounter. Some are simply best avoided, mitigated or circumvented or you WILL be worn down. From what I've seen of Lost Mine of Phandelver, the designers are rewarding "smart" play (secret paths to avoid one/several encounters, options other than fighting to the death, etc.) , not just tactical play. I hope they keep doing that.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Related to the general topic, does it seem odd to anyone else that Druids are the only class that can be proficient with herbalism kits and therefore the only ones that can craft healing potions?

Any other class has to take the Hermit background, take the Skilled feat, or take the better part of a year off from adventuring to gain that proficiency. Seems like the cleric, as the archtypical healer, ought to have easier access to it, especially if your playing basic rules only (no Druids, no hermits, no feats).

I actually like it -- brewing healing potions shouldn't be trivial, and the limited availability is a plus. Yes, druids should know herbs, and hermits fine. Clerics? Honestly, they're the last people who would learn healing potions since for them healing magic comes so naturally.

There is an option you don't list, though, and that's a customized background. p. 125 PHB, it's not even called out as a "with DM's permission"; any background can be tweaked to include an herbalism kit. But it's a specialization that I think should be rare.

GameDoc

Explorer
I actually like it -- brewing healing potions shouldn't be trivial, and the limited availability is a plus. Yes, druids should know herbs, and hermits fine. Clerics? Honestly, they're the last people who would learn healing potions since for them healing magic comes so naturally.

There is an option you don't list, though, and that's a customized background. p. 125 PHB, it's not even called out as a "with DM's permission"; any background can be tweaked to include an herbalism kit. But it's a specialization that I think should be rare.

D'oh! Forgot about passage on page 125. My brain is still having to get used to the era of DM empowerment and a system that does break when you tinker.

Andor

First Post
The bard is just as good healer as the cleric, except for the healing spec cleric. Druid is too.
The Paladin does not have the ability to heal as much as a Cleric, but he does have the ability to dole it out in penny packets. This is good because one point of healing is the difference between making death saves and swinging an axe.

The healer feat is amazing.

There is no need for a cleric in 5e. You need a healer, but that role can be filled by Bards, Druids, and Paladins as full healers. The healer feat is all you need to be a competent secondary healer.

And the Guild Artisan background also covers the Herbalism kit proficiency without needing to change anything. However as noted backgrounds are very flexible, and can be customized and refluffed at will.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases