Cloverfield - The Immortal's Handbook 4E to 3.5 Conversion

Ah, activity.

Given that it doesn't see very well, an argument I accept BTW, I'd think Darkvision 60 ft. is actually appropriate even if it ends up being somewhat ridiculous in context.

OK, sounds good.

Skill numbers look pretty good to me, though remember that its ground Speed adds a bonus to Jump (that's a pretty obscure rule that's easy to forget).Using Kerrick's suggestion (gleaned from the IH Bestiary suggestions for ground speed by size) of 80 feet, that would grant a Jump bonus of +20, for a total Jump mod of +73.

Thanks, I had forgotten.

Other feats: Improved Initiative, Dire Charge, Superior Initiative, Combat Reflexes, Improved Combat Reflexes, Penetrate Damage Reduction.

Then perhaps add a Divine Ability or two (or would Clover need Divine Traits for that?) If it's allowable, I'd say Exoskeleton, [Energy] Immunity or Self-hypnosis. That drops us to 36 feats, or 30 if we buy two Divine Abilities; split any leftovers between Armor Skin, Damage Reduction, and Epic Prowess. So I'd suggest:

Feats: Awesome Blow, Cleave, Combat Reflexes, Great Cleave, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Critical (bite, tail), Improved Initiative, Lightning Reflexes, Power Attack, Weapon Focus (bite, tail)
Epic Feats: Armor Skin (x5), Damage Reduction (x4), Devastating Critical (bite, tail), Epic Prowess (x4), Epic Reflexes, Improved Combat Reflexes, Overwhelming Critical (bite, tail), Penetrate Damage Reduction (adamantine, cold iron, silver), Perfect Health, Superior Initiative
Divine Abilities: Self-hypnosis (or Exoskeleton)

Attacks: The table in the Epic Bestiary says 4d8 for bites, 4d6 for claws, 4d6 for slams for a Titanic creature. But the tail is large (and very powerful, in the movie) so it should use either the "1/4 body length" or the "1/2 body length" column - 2 or 3 sizes larger, thus 8d6 or 8d8 base damage.

Hey guys! :)

Isn't there some monster feat from the 3.5 monster manual that lets you up the base damage by one step on the ladder? That would seem appropriate for the Cloverfield Monster.

So, assuming those feats are more or less good, here's what we'd have:

Titanic Magical Beast (Aquatic)
Hit Dice: 125d10+2375 (3062 hit points)
Initiative: +13 (+5 Dex, +8 Superior Initiative)
Speed: 80 ft. (16 squares), swim 80 ft.
Armor Class: 79 (-16 size, +5 Dex, +80 natural), touch -1, flat-footed 74
Base Attack/Grapple: +125/+166
Attack: Bite +136 melee (6d6+21/19-20)
Full Attack: Bite +136 melee (6d6+21/19-20), 2 claws +134 melee (4d6+10), tail slap +135 melee (8d8+10/19-20)
Space/Reach: ?
Special Attacks: ?
Special Qualities: Amphibious, darkvision 60 ft., DR 15/-, great leap, low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +83, Ref +75, Will +45
Abilities: Str 52, Dex 21, Con 49, Int 3, Wis 18, Cha 7
Skills: Jump +73, Listen +36, Spot +20, Survival +20, Swim +61
Feats: Awesome Blow, Cleave, Combat Reflexes, Great Cleave, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Critical (bite, tail), Improved Initiative, Improved Natural Attack (bite, tail), Lightning Reflexes, Multiattack, Power Attack, Weapon Focus (bite, tail)
Epic Feats: Armor Skin (x7), Damage Reduction (x5), Devastating Critical (bite, tail), Epic Prowess (x5), Epic Reflexes, Improved Combat Reflexes, Overwhelming Critical (bite, tail), Penetrate Damage Reduction (adamantine, cold iron, silver), Perfect Health, Superior Initiative
Environment: Temperate aquatic and land???
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating:]101 (target)
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Neutral
Advancement: ?
Level Adjustment: -

Combat
Great Leap (Ex):
The Cloverfield Monster's jumps are always made as though it had a running start, even if it jumps from a standstill. Its jumps are not limited by its height.

-Should the swim speed be the same as the land speed?
-It needs special attacks. We should convert the 4e disease attack over, but what else? Something with the feeding tubes - but what should they do? Con damage/drain? Swallow whole? I agree trample should be included.
-It needs more special qualities too, I think. It should have SR, but how much?
-I gave it Multiattack as well as the feats above, plus more Armor Skin. Does that look good.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I'm still concerned that the defenses on Cloverfield are too low. A 100th-level Fighter will have a BAB of +60. That's within a d20 roll of Cloverfield's AC, not even taking into account Strength bonuses, enhancement bonuses, and so much more. Similarly, DR 15/- isn't that great either. What sort of defensive special quality can we give it?

Spell resistance should be roughly equivalent to a creature's CR + 10 or 15, since a spellcaster equal to a creature's CR will have a roughly even chance of beating that. Also, energy resistances might not be out of line.

At this point, we should probably beef up the feeding tubes - they're likely to be Cloverfield's main attack form, and should be suitably deadly. I recommend swallow whole, and taking Con damage (drain?) while swallowed, in addition to the star chills disease. That sounds like a lot, but remember that this thing is going to be roughly between an Intermediate and Greater deity in how fearsome it should be.

And of course, a stomp-related power, perhaps some sort of tail-thrashing that attacks an area, and it's spawning power.

I'm still concerned that the defenses on Cloverfield are too low. A 100th-level Fighter will have a BAB of +60. That's within a d20 roll of Cloverfield's AC, not even taking into account Strength bonuses, enhancement bonuses, and so much more. Similarly, DR 15/- isn't that great either. What sort of defensive special quality can we give it?

Fast Healing, maybe, or even Regeneration. Is there any guideline for how much? I'd suggest 30-40 just off the top of my head, is that too high?

Spell resistance should be roughly equivalent to a creature's CR + 10 or 15, since a spellcaster equal to a creature's CR will have a roughly even chance of beating that. Also, energy resistances might not be out of line.
OK, so SR 112-117; 115 is nice and round.

Fire resistance sounds good for a deep sea creature, maybe 40 or 50? What other resistances make sense - cold, maybe, since it comes from a cold environment?

At this point, we should probably beef up the feeding tubes - they're likely to be Cloverfield's main attack form, and should be suitably deadly. I recommend swallow whole, and taking Con damage (drain?) while swallowed, in addition to the star chills disease. That sounds like a lot, but remember that this thing is going to be roughly between an Intermediate and Greater deity in how fearsome it should be.

How should the disease work? Maybe damage 2d6 or 2d8 Con (with half of it being permanent drain, maybe), and with a note that the victim explodes at 0 Con (preventing raise dead, though resurrection still works, and forcing all creatures within 5' to save against the disease). (The parasites would have a weaker version of the disease, presumably.)

Maybe in addition to the basic swallow whole acid and bludgeoning damage, deal something like 1d3 Str and Con drain per round (and save every round against contracting star chills, of course).

Just as suggestions:

Disease (Ex): Star chills, Fort DC 91, [effects uncertain]. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Feeding Tubes (Ex): Cloverfield may immediately make a grapple check against any creature three or more sizes smaller than itself which it tramples or which is in Clover's space, without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. If the grapple check succeeds, in the next round, Clover can make another grapple check to swallow the victim, or can expel the victim violently (causing the victim to fall 1d6+4x10 feet and take 1d6 damage per 10 feet fallen). Expelling a victim is automatic and requires no check. Clover can make up to four grapple checks per round via its feeding tubes. Any successful grapple check made via its feeding tubes forces the opponent to make a Fortitude save (DC 91) or contract star chills.
A swallowed creature takes 4d6+21 bludgeoning and 21 acid damage and suffers 1d3 Str drain per round, and must save (Fort DC 91) each round or contract star chills. A swallowed creature can escape only by cutting its way out, dealing 250 points of damage to the interior of Cloverfield's stomach (AC 50).

(OK, that writing looks clunky, but what do you think?)

Trample (Ex): 4d6+31 damage, Reflex half DC 93. The save DC is Strength-based. In addition, creatures of Huge or smaller size are also affected by feeding tubes when trampled, without requiring a touch attack.
[The damage is low here, but the SRD says it should be equivalent to slam damage...]

Tail Flail (Ex): As a standard action, Clover can whip its tail in frenzied motions, smashing everything nearby. All creatures and unattended objects within 60 feet of Clover take 5d10+21 damage (Reflex DC 93 half). The save DC is Strength-based.

Shed Parasites (Ex): When Clover takes damage, it releases one parasite for every X points of damage it takes (round down). Parasites appear in squares adjacent to Clover; if all these squares are full, the parasite appears in the nearest open square.

[X should probably be close to the hit point total of a parasite, or less.]

Last edited:

paradox42

First Post
Just as suggestions:

Disease (Ex): Star chills, Fort DC 91, [effects uncertain]. The save DC is Constitution-based.
One problem with 3.X disease- which we have to deal with here- is that by the rules it works on a daily basis and no faster. This obviously doesn't square with the movie, so we need to be sure it's written into the disease effects (whatever they are). Also, the one victim we see who dies of this disease during the movie seems mostly okay until a minute or two before The End, during which (of course) the body apparently explodes among other nasty effects. So I'm thinking the ability hit isn't CON, or at least isn't CON until some trigger-point is reached.

Feeding Tubes (Ex): Cloverfield may immediately make a grapple check against any creature three or more sizes smaller than itself which it tramples or which is in Clover's space, without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. If the grapple check succeeds, in the next round, Clover can make another grapple check to swallow the victim, or can expel the victim violently (causing the victim to fall 1d6+4x10 feet and take 1d6 damage per 10 feet fallen). Expelling a victim is automatic and requires no check. Clover can make up to four grapple checks per round via its feeding tubes. Any successful grapple check made via its feeding tubes forces the opponent to make a Fortitude save (DC 91) or contract star chills.
A swallowed creature takes 4d6+21 bludgeoning and 21 acid damage and suffers 1d3 Str drain per round, and must save (Fort DC 91) each round or contract star chills. A swallowed creature can escape only by cutting its way out, dealing 250 points of damage to the interior of Cloverfield's stomach (AC 50).

(OK, that writing looks clunky, but what do you think?)
Clunky, yes, but it's a difficult thing to describe anyway since the only scene in the movie that featured this was deleted/never finished in the first place. I have just one suggestion, that being: shouldn't it be able to hit adjacent targets as well as targets sharing its space?

Trample (Ex): 4d6+31 damage, Reflex half DC 93. The save DC is Strength-based. In addition, creatures of Huge or smaller size are also affected by feeding tubes when trampled, without requiring a touch attack.
[The damage is low here, but the SRD says it should be equivalent to slam damage...]

Tail Flail (Ex): As a standard action, Clover can whip its tail in frenzied motions, smashing everything nearby. All creatures and unattended objects within 60 feet of Clover take 5d10+21 damage (Reflex DC 93 half). The save DC is Strength-based.
These are fine. Damage looks low, yes, but damage isn't exactly huge on its base attacks either, compared with the hit points of a typical 100th-level character (particularly if we use Ascension since many if not most such characters would be Intermediate or Greater Gods with 20 hit points per HD regardless of class/race). The key here is that the monster is able to produce so many attacks, plus its nasty grappling abilities and disease, that the actual damage isn't what worries the opponents anyway.

Shed Parasites (Ex): When Clover takes damage, it releases one parasite for every X points of damage it takes (round down). Parasites appear in squares adjacent to Clover; if all these squares are full, the parasite appears in the nearest open square.

[X should probably be close to the hit point total of a parasite, or less.]
Better idea: balance this like the Goetic Blood ability. Figure out what CR a parasite is, then slot it into the Summon spell tables as if it were a valid Summon target. Voila- we have our hit point threshold. Goetic Blood is one of those underused, apparently-useless (to powergamers) abilities in Ascension that often goes overlooked. But the images it provides, if used properly, can't be beat for sheer coolness and nastiness. Sure, individual parasites are no threat at all to 100th-level characters (and this illustrates why players interested mainly in character power will never take Goetic Blood), but they get annoying real quick, and can suck up actions from characters getting rid of them- especially if the 100th-level characters have some lower-level followers or cohorts helping them in battle.

One problem with 3.X disease- which we have to deal with here- is that by the rules it works on a daily basis and no faster. This obviously doesn't square with the movie, so we need to be sure it's written into the disease effects (whatever they are). Also, the one victim we see who dies of this disease during the movie seems mostly okay until a minute or two before The End, during which (of course) the body apparently explodes among other nasty effects. So I'm thinking the ability hit isn't CON, or at least isn't CON until some trigger-point is reached.

I would think Con damage would be less noticeable externally than Str or Dex damage, but maybe so. Or perhaps it's simply accelerating- something like this:

Unlike normal diseases, star chills has an incubation period of 1 hour, and it deals damage every hour instead of every day. In addition, every time a Fortitude save against star chills fails by 5 or more (fails to beat DC 86), the period in which it deals damage decreases (to every 10 minutes, to every minute, and then to every round - star chills will never deal damage more than once per round.)
Better idea: balance this like the Goetic Blood ability. Figure out what CR a parasite is, then slot it into the Summon spell tables as if it were a valid Summon target.

Sure. What would a good target CR to shoot for with the Parasite be? They go down pretty easily...

Remove ads