Cocktails

R_J_K75

Legend
Ice spheres are too big to fit in a highball glass,
I don't drink mixed drinks too often anymore. If I do its usually a liquor and a mixer. I use the ice spheres in a rocks glass and drink quickly. I don't think I own a highball glass anymore, they all got broken IRC. I have 8 or 10 of the ice sphere molds as when I only had 2 I found that they take a long time to freeze. Funny my fridge freezes my beer but my freezer has trouble freezing water. I've been drinking a lot of Jose Cuervo pre-made margaritas, they're cheap, taste good, and has a decent ABV. I recommend the mango over the original. I wish I had the money to stock liquor, mixers, and garnishes to make a variety of drinks, but Im usually drink bottle, replace said bottle guy. As much as I'd like to, it's just expensive to start up a home bar, I'd like to make some margaritas from scratch but by the time you buy the ingredients and proper glasses, it'd cost at least $100 I'd guess.

R_J_K75

Legend
Ice spheres are too big to fit in a highball glass, but I always like to use them for my Old Fashioneds and Sazeracs. I have a nice square silicon mold for four I've been using for a couple of years that's a really good size. My girlfriend also got me a mold for eight this past Yule but they're a bit bigger and awkward to stir in a standard rocks/Old Fashioned glass.

I also recently picked up a few silicon trays to make tiny pebble sized cubes for Mai Tais, so I don't have to break ice in a lewis bag.
Wow just realized this was Valentines Day, I missed this notification, 1 month to the day 🤡

Old Fezziwig

a man builds a city with banks and cathedrals
Pondering what drinks I might like to try this on.
I was thinking that it might be particularly interesting with a Manhattan or something else that has a rye base. I'd like to try it with some mezcal, too, and see how that works, though I'll admit that I'm mostly using mezcal in place of gin in negroni variants, so that may be less interesting to me than it seems.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
I was thinking that it might be particularly interesting with a Manhattan or something else that has a rye base. I'd like to try it with some mezcal, too, and see how that works, though I'll admit that I'm mostly using mezcal in place of gin in negroni variants, so that may be less interesting to me than it seems.
Yeah, I haven't found a Manhattan recipe yet that I like, but that's probably a matter of finding the right vermouth pairing, since I like my Old Fashioneds (really 1860s-style Improved Whiskey Cocktails) with Rye. Maybe this would also work.

My go-to Mezcal cocktail is a Naked & Famous, but IMO that's got enough sweetness that it wouldn't need the softening.

A Negroni is usually fine for me but I do think it's a good candidate. As mentioned in the article, a Negroni Sbagliato may be an even better one.

If folks are fans of negronis, I'd highly recommend rice washing. Mrs Fezziwig and I just tried it, and it really opens up the drink and smooths out the flavors quite a bit.

I've never tried rice-washing before. I can think of a couple cocktails that might work well with the technique.

Discovered a new forgotten cocktail last night, the Zip Fastener:

1 oz dark rum (I upped this to 2 oz)
1 oz orange liqueur
.5 oz Kahlua
juice of half a lemon.
Shake with ice and strain

It's a lovely, balanced drink. Tart, but not too tart, the orange notes are almost tangerine-y, the coffee playing bass to the rum's drums.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads