Cocktails

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Been drinking a lot of spiked eggnog the past few months.

Part of that is due to my ongoing search to find replacements for certain spirits that are no longer in production, that coincidentally happened to make great eggnog mixers.

It’s tough work, but SOMEBODY has to do it.

I don’t recall if I’ve mentioned this already (mea culpa if I have), but the spirits in question are Art in the Age Root and Snap. I have one full bottle of each left, plus the last few sips of an open bottle of Root. (I also have a mostly unfinished bottle of Sage, which I suspect is NOT a good eggnog mixer.)

I found a reasonable substitute for Snap (see below):

But Root is MUCH more elusive. The potential replacements are all much sweeter than what I’m seeking.

Last edited:

Old Fezziwig

What this book presupposes is -- maybe he didn't?
PXL_20240101_024905300.jpg

Chewie's back in the liquor cabinet again. Ruhlman's Book of Cocktail Ratios suggested a mezcal negroni, and here we are. Happy New Year!

Old Fezziwig

What this book presupposes is -- maybe he didn't?
Chewie's back in the liquor cabinet again. Ruhlman's Book of Cocktail Ratios suggested a mezcal negroni, and here we are. Happy New Year!
No picture this time, but I'm four days from vacation, so Chewie and I tried something new with the mezcal negroni. We were short on sweet vermouth suitable for mixing, so we tried the following: 1 part negroni, 1 part mezcal, 1/2 part dry vermouth, 1/2 part Grand Marnier, and a lime wedge. A little brighter and more subtle, which really let the smokiness of the mezcal come through. I'm not sure that I'm settled on the recipe, but it worked pretty well.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
One I've been making for my girlfriend lately is to take a highball glass, add two full size ice cubes, a shot of vodka, a dram (maybe 1/4oz) of Cointreau, fill the glass half and half with lemon seltzer and Newman's Own lemonade, roll glass to glass a couple of times to combine without killing all the bubbles, and serve. Super light and refreshing.

R_J_K75

Legend
One I've been making for my girlfriend lately is to take a highball glass, add two full size ice cubes
I bought these and for the price they are nice and don't take up too much room in the freezer as they stack. Only thing is if you don't let them freeze completely, they just form an outer shell and melt in your drink quickly but if they are fully frozen, they last quite a long time.

ICE Monster Ice Spheres

R_J_K75

Legend
Picked this up last Friday, for premixed margaritas. it was pretty good and only $21. Of course me and my neighbor drank it in about an hour.
Altos.jpg

Remove ads