Cocktails

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Having finished Ruhlman's Book of Cocktail Ratios (I'm saving trying the hot toddy for when it's actually cold in Southern California), tonight I started on Beachbum Berry's Potions of the Caribbean. The first recipe I landed on (deciding I wasn't in the mood for an egg yolk tonight in Captain Kidd's Punch), was a Planter's Punch, which is made with similar ingredients to a daiquiri, but with a different ratio and preparation:

• 1 part dark rum (I used Plantation Dark)
  • 1 part simple syrup
  • 1 part lime juice
Pour over cracked or crushed ice, and stir, defying the modern cocktail conventional wisdom of shaking any drink that has non-alcoholic ingredients, especially citrus or egg, in it.

Very tasty and the end result isn't a daiquiri (which is still my wife's favorite drink). Highly recommended.

Old Fezziwig

What this book presupposes is -- maybe he didn't?
PXL_20231226_020253949.jpg

Chewie and I are having negronis tonight. If you're celebrating, hope you've had/have a good Christmas. If not, I hope your Monday's going/gone well. Cheers!

Having finished Ruhlman's Book of Cocktail Ratios (I'm saving trying the hot toddy for when it's actually cold in Southern California), tonight I started on Beachbum Berry's Potions of the Caribbean. The first recipe I landed on (deciding I wasn't in the mood for an egg yolk tonight in Captain Kidd's Punch), was a Planter's Punch, which is made with similar ingredients to a daiquiri, but with a different ratio and preparation:

• 1 part dark rum (I used Plantation Dark)
  • 1 part simple syrup
  • 1 part lime juice
Pour over cracked or crushed ice, and stir, defying the modern cocktail conventional wisdom of shaking any drink that has non-alcoholic ingredients, especially citrus or egg, in it.

Very tasty and the end result isn't a daiquiri (which is still my wife's favorite drink). Highly recommended.
The rule of thumb I learned for Caribbean punch was 1 sour, 2 sweet, 3 strong, 4 weak and It seems to work with pretty much everything. Eg:

1 lime juice: 2 simple syrup: 3 rum: 4 pineapple juice or
1 lemon juice: 2 honey: 3 whiskey: 4 apple cider

Etc, etc,,,

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
I made this multiple times over the holidays and it is spectacular. It's 90% a mai tai, but the spiced rum, applejack brandy and pineapple juice change it up just enough to make something new and, yeah, kind of festive.

Ah, I recognized the Liber Orgeat (I've used that before, and it's good) but didn't realize the recipe was from them until the end. :)

This looks good, although I'm not usually one for spiced rum, or for pineapple in my Mai Tais. Neat!

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Ah, I recognized the Liber Orgeat (I've used that before, and it's good) but didn't realize the recipe was from them until the end. :)

This looks good, although I'm not usually one for spiced rum, or for pineapple in my Mai Tais. Neat!
Yeah, it's been years since we've had spiced rum in the house, but my wife was happy to have a small bottle of it to use in her Diet Pepsi again.

Remove ads