Cocktails

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I like hooch enough to have been at risk for being an alcoholic. (Long story.) In college, my taste in boozy beverages tended to favor “girl drinks”, a la the Kids in the Hall sketch. The more fruit, umbrella and funky straw, the better.

I also consciously have been trying to sample a lot of the classics. The Negroni has been eluding me for several months now.

Setting aside spirits normally served unmixed neat or on the rocks, some that have stood out for me:

Bloody Mary
Café Oscar
Cosmopolitan
Whiskey Sour
Amaretto Sour
June Bug
Piña Colada
Margarita
Caipirinha
Icepick
Rum & Coke
Gin & Tonic
Screwdriver
Fuzzy Navel
Electric Lemonade
Long Island Iced Tea
Daiquiri
Spiked Egg Nog
Kahlua Milk Shake

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
My go to are Cognac Sezeracs;

Ingredients​

• Absinthe, to rinse
  • 2 ounces cognac
  • 1/2 ounce simple syrup
  • 3 dashes bitters
  • Garnish: lemon peel

Some folks will use Bourbon or Brandy, and its an ok substitute if you lack the proper ingredients.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
For me, a Sazerac is a rye drink; a variation on my usual 1860s, 1870s-style Old Fashioned. But you've got me curious about the cognac one.

My preferred recipe for an Old Fashioned:

In a rocks glass:
  • Splash of simple syrup (I like the one with a bit of orange flavor which Master of Mixes mis-labels "triple sec")
  • Add two good dashes each of angostura bitters and peychaud's bitters.
  • Add one large whiskey ice cube/ball (or 2-3 regular cubes if you lack the large one)
  • Just a drop, no more than half a bar spoon each, of absinthe and luxardo maraschino liqueur
  • 2 oz rye whisky (you can go bourbon if you want it sweeter, but I prefer the spice of rye). You can go pretty cheap on the rye; Old Overholt or Rittenhouse are fine. I prefer the 100 proof bottled in bond of either, but 80 proof is ok in a pinch.
  • Stir to chill and dilute until you see the walls of the glass start to fog up. Then you know it's properly chilled.
  • Cut a lemon peel, squeeze to express the lemon oil over the drink and rub the sides/rim of the glass, drop in as garnish.
If you want a less fancy version you can skip the liqueurs, and it's still a great drink. I don't even bother making it if I don't have a fresh lemon, though. The candy-like nose of the lemon oil really puts the drink over the top.

Unfortunately loving this style of Old Fashioned usually makes it impossible for me to order one out, since they're almost always a Mid Century style, thanks in part to Mad Men, and those are junk by comparison.

Dioltach

Legend
Not quite a cocktail, but around this time of year I'm quite partial to mulled wine. Heat up wine (white or red, both work) with fruit juice (not made from concentrate, which will turn your drink into a murky mess), add a good shot of brandy or triple sec, and as much ginger as you can stand.

Any bits of fruit, cinnamon sticks and cloves you toss in will only make it better.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Not quite a cocktail, but around this time of year I'm quite partial to mulled wine. Heat up wine (white or red, both work) with fruit juice (not made from concentrate, which will turn your drink into a murky mess), add a good shot of brandy or triple sec, and as much ginger as you can stand.

Any bits of fruit, cinnamon sticks and cloves you toss in will only make it better.
I was just talking about mulled wine last night with the fam. Looking forward to making some later this year.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)

Star anise, too. Sliced orange wheels floating in the pot with the cinnamon sticks, cloves and anise stars are a vivid holiday memory going back to my childhood.

Hades#2

Explorer
During the holidays my brother in-law makes Jack Daniels honey whiskey or apple whiskey mixed with apple cider and warmed in the microwave. Rum and eggnog is always good as well.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
For those who like to spike their eggnog, I’ve been experimenting for years with different spirits for that task.

Bourbon is my usual go-to. I’ve had good results with flavored whiskeys, usually honey, cherry, vanilla, or praline. If you can find a good root tea*, that’s a good option as well. Amaretto is a solid option, and coffee liqueurs are excellent as well.

But the best of all are ginger-flavored spirits. I used to get Art in the Age’s SNAP, which tasted like a good ginger snap cookie. Mixed with eggnog, it was like Liquid Christmas!** Alas, SNAP is no longer available near me (if at all), so I have had to find substitutes. The cheaper, more easily found one is Captain Morgan’s ginger rum. Its flavor is not nearly as good as AitA’s product was, though. The best substitute I’ve found is The King’s Ginger. It’s pricier than either the CM or AitA products, but the flavor is perfect for this mix.

* I used to buy Art in the Age’s ROOT, but either its no longer for sale in Texas or production has ceased altogether.

** might be a good name for that specific combination!

Remove ads