coming at some point to a theater near you

God help us all

Tl,DR

Polly Pocket
action-heist comedy about the card game Uno
a "surrealistic" ""A24-type" film for Barney
Major Matt Mason movie staring tom hanks
Magic 8 Ball is getting the horror treatment. (but not R-rated)
a new live-action "Masters of the Universe" movie.
"Star Wars" director J.J. Abrams is producing a "gritty" Hot Wheels film.
Thomas the Tank Engine is also getting the live-action treatment at Mattel.
"Fast & Furious" star Vin Diesel has been pegged to star in and produce a movie based on the Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots. (plot: the story will follow a father and son who bond with an advanced war machine. ((Wasn't this Real Steel?))
American Girl is another doll getting the movie treatment.
"Borat" cowriter Dan Mazer is working on a Big Jim movie.
Jason Bateman's production company is creating a movie based on the Chatty Cathy and Betsy Wetsy dolls.
Matchbox is another toy car brand that Mattel intends to turn into a live-action movie.
MGM and Mattel are also creating a movie about View-Master.
"Wishbone," a '90s PBS TV series, is also being turned into a movie.
Mattel is also turning Boglins into a "Gremlins"-like movie.

Mad_Jack

Legend
God help us all

Anything about the dolls and action figures is going to depend entirely on the script, the quality of the animation for the cartoons, and the casting choices for the live action stuff.
I honestly think they could do a decent live-action He-Man if they really put the work into it.

Hotwheels and Matchbox films will be tough - the FF series has pretty much killed the car-chase film for the next decade.

Rock'em Sock'em Robots will probably tank unless they get a wildly different plotline than Real Steel.

Viewmaster might make a decent horror film, just like the Magic 8-Ball, but I can't see much of a plot in any other genre unless they're planning to redo National Treasure with all the clues hidden in Viewmaster discs.

The Uno movie has me stumped. I don't know how you'd make that film.

I had to double-check that article to make sure it wasn't satire!

I'd say that I kinda want Hot Wheels to just be Fast & Furious (with the same cast) in tiny cars, but that implies I want it as a movie at all.

That Boglins movie on the other hand...as long as it's not CGI, but traditional puppetry, I'd love to see. Though, really, the time for a Boglins movie was decades ago, when they first hit the shelves.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Magic 8-Ball is really simple. Start it off looking like Yes Day (an extremely dopey family film in which parents say yes to everything their kids say for a day) and have someone just be guided by their Magic 8-Ball on the advice of their therapist/editor/former college roommate to help them become more spontaneous/for an article/to find love.

Probably a romcom.

R_J_K75

Legend
a new live-action "Masters of the Universe" movie.
This is the only movie here that might have promise, everything else just seems vapid to me. I'm sure they are probably out there and I just don't search them out but I cant remember the last time there was a mainstream movie that was an original idea/story and not based on a sequel, reboot or an existing product line.

Remove ads