Coming in May: Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes! [UPDATED!]

So they just gave the title and showed the cover mock-ups; no specific info till Monday?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I'm thinking Eberron doesn't get much attention in this book. I think Mike was hinting strongly at that in the stream when he said that Mordenkainen would probably tell you that Eberron was a myth. He went on for a bit about how hard it is to get to Eberron, that not everyone is sure it really exists.

But I also think this is because they are going to announce an Eberron book this summer. They hinted at it. Stewart even went as far as to say 'I'm not going to talk about that right now' when he saw an Eberron question on the chat.

Now, could be I'm wrong and Eberron isn't planned for a year. But it would seem odd that they would basically tease Eberron only to say "you're not getting any Eberron". More likely that we're not getting it now but we'll get our fill before the end of the year.

Mind you, I'm totally just speculating wildly. Because they also both said that they are really excited about this year and that they would be announcing things that we wouldn't expect.

So. We'll see. All in good fun regardless!

AD
Ahh, I didn’t watch the stream, but what you say makes sense.

When Volo's came out, I was amused by the notion of unreliable narrators and deniability (if they later decided to do something at odds with the text in Volo's, well obviously Volo was wrong). The Big M isn't as unreliable as Volo, but he also isn't omniscient either, so they can do the same here; it fits the "rulings over rules" ideal--it isn't WotC saying this is the only way to do it, but one NPC saying it.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
"Not monster manual 3" is good. I hope it functions for both players and DMs...a sort of "Mordenkainen's Guide to Planehopping" (which would be a better and more whimsical title)
By "not MM3," pretty sure they meant "this is the MM3, but we don't use names like that."

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Biggest surprise to me is the mention of the Duereger. Wonder if other Dwarves get some love, too...?

I wish that, if the Nentir Vale got some coverage in this book, we may receive the Forgeborn dwarves. They are a bloodline of dwarves who stayed prisoner of the giants (which are servant to the primordial/elemental lords) for too long and are tainted by chaos energy.
Maybe we'll have Urdunnir, Azer and Eisk Jaat.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Looks cool. Tip to EGG is nice.

Of course, it would be natural to follow this up with a true (multi) planar AP. That doesn't mean we will get it.

Remove ads

Remove ads