D&D 5E Comments on the 5e

Sadrik

First Post
Overall I am very excited about the prospect of playing D&D again so good job. Below are some specific comments:

Contest mechanic: meh opposed rolls are not needed just make the person whose turn it is roll against the opponent who is taking a '10'. Much cleaner.

Missing in this section are rules for or at least mentioning that some tasks could require multiple successes to complete. Another thing that should be mentioned is the ability to retry actions/tasks which boils into taking a '20' or whatever the mechanic is on this.

Advantage and Disadvantage are solid mechanics.

Strength and carrying capacity: encumbered should be made a condition and moved to later in the book. It could also be mentioned under movement as well and even under armor and weight. Also encumbered "condition" does not gel with the Hustle action. It should probably be the same move penalty as swimming or climbing.

Wisdom: I am mostly in line with the take on wisdom. It is always a problem stat in D&D either does too much or not enough. Usually it is a catchall mess. Wisdom here is perception both internal and external. I am good with that. However, I would split the save. Move the resist charms portion to the "force of will" stat: Charisma and move the figure out illusions to the INT stat (hearkening back to 1e and 2e). Leaving perception saves used in surprise and passive notice rolls etc. Bottom line is delineate these so that there are no grey areas.

Wisdom and Charisma Magic ability: Since Wisdom is now perception, I would totally be ok swapping these two so that clerics function off of charisma and whatever the charisma magic classes are that use wisdom (sorcerer/warlock/psion).

Stealth/Perception other than using the contest mechanic I mention above, integrate the invisible condition into the "conditions for stealth" text.

Surprise: nope don't like the -20 to rolls just give them a free round and go with it. Also integrate perception (Wisdom) into determining surprise, do not make it automatic.

Under attacks integrate the "Attacking an Unseen target" text into the Stealth/Perception text, I think all this should be in one spot to reference.

Conditions: again add the encumbered condition here.

Armor table is a bit messed up and it perhaps has to do with the DEX mod, if there are feats that can improve your DEX mod to your armor then these may be appropriate otherwise they are not.

Unarmed strike deals 1d4, so does a dagger. Perhaps the unarmed strike could assume a gauntlet/cestus/katar at least?

Acid and Alchemist fire do 1d4 damage rather than 1d6, not sure if that is a big deal or not.

Caltrops also have a -10 speed similar to encumbered, should probably be written like the other pay in 5' segments bla bla bla.

Spells aaaah really like it. One minor thing I never liked when healing was necromancy (1e and 2e) and I don't like it as conjuration (3e), it should be abjuration. So CLW and Healing Word abjuration. The same goes with turn undead it should also be abjuration however the evil cleric version command undead should be necromancy.

About the Turn undead I really like that it is a spell I have always felt like it should be a spell. Make wild shape a spell for the druid and we are in business.

For the characters only one comment, cantrips should not be infinite. Set it at some number per day, even a huge number. For instance, caster stat or whatever just not infinite.

Good job and keep it up.

Remove ads