D&D 5E Common mistakes I keep making

Voadam

Legend
I've been playing and DMing since the 80s. I've been DMing and playing 5e for a number of years now. I have read the 5e core books cover to cover. I have authored published D&D (OGL) material. I am more than a year into my latest 5e weekly campaign as a DM.

There are 5e mistakes I find myself making again and again.

I realized after my last game session that I keep taking zombies off the combat tracker in fantasy grounds immediately after they go down. I do this with most monsters when they die to keep things less cluttered and distracting and to make things more manageable, but with zombies this means one of their 5e signature features, saving to pop back up the round after dying, does not come into play. I kept forgetting this zombie power in the moment in face to face games as well. Zombies showed up a bunch when running the gothic horror Carrion Crown adventure path converted to 5e, including an add on zombie apocalypse scenario adventure. I have yet to remember to check whether a 5e zombie pops up.

Multiattack. I keep forgetting to look and see if there is a separate entry in actions for multiattack. Thugs having half their normal attacks are about half the mechanical threat they normally would be.

What the warforged PC is and is not immune/resistant to. Ghoul paralysis works on robots? They are half damage resistant not immune to poison?

Most of this works fine in the moment and is mostly invisible to the PC side, but I see it and missed opportunities on cool things like evocative monster mechanics is a bit disappointing.

As a player, my last wizard PC I kept forgetting I had shield. A great reaction spell to block a hit, if you remember to use it.

Any small things that seem to keep tripping you up?

Last edited:

Mort

Legend
Supporter
The last time I DM'd it was for a group that REALLY wanted to try out high level play. So I let them build 15th level characters.

None of them had any experience with high level PCs. So I spent much of the session informing/reminding them what they could do.

Problem was, this means I kept forgetting what the BAD GUYS could do and as a result the combats and even the exploration challenge was quite a bit easier than it should have been (for example, in hindsight, the enemy mage should have countered at least 2 of the spells that were key the PCs winning the encounter).

pukunui

Legend
I realized after my last game session that I keep taking zombies off the combat tracker in fantasy grounds immediately after they go down. I do this with most monsters when they die to keep things less cluttered and distracting and to make things more manageable, but with zombies this means one of their 5e signature features, saving to pop back up the round after dying, does not come into play. I kept forgetting this zombie power in the moment in face to face games as well. Zombies showed up a bunch when running the gothic horror Carrion Crown adventure path converted to 5e, including an add on zombie apocalypse scenario adventure. I have yet to remember to check whether a 5e zombie pops up.
Technically zombies don’t drop and then pop up again because their Undead Fortitude trait prevents them from going to 0 hp. It keeps them at 1 hp if the save is successful.

I usually pull out the old “weebles wobble but they don’t fall down” chestnut when the players are fighting zombies.

Voadam

Legend
Just pacing in general. It's my eternal nemesis. Even when I have decent pacing, I feel like I could pace things out better, and I always feel like I linger too long on scenes before moving things along. My players are happy with the game, but pacing is the mental demon that keeps gnawing at my self-analysis.
Switching from four- to five-hour in person games to three-hour online Fantasy Grounds games took a lot of adjustments for my pacing as a DM as well.

Shiroiken

Legend
Remembering my battleplan! With every encounter I have a generalized plan creatures will take. Most creatures only need a vague plan, usually involving when to flee, but some need more. Leadership creatures usually need a 2-3 round layout. Casters potentially require up to 5 rounds, depending on how powerful they are. The problem is that occasionally I'll forget something in the heat of battle that skews it for the players, sometimes drastically so (forgetting about Counterspell can end an encounter).

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Remembering my battleplan! With every encounter I have a generalized plan creatures will take. Most creatures only need a vague plan, usually involving when to flee, but some need more. Leadership creatures usually need a 2-3 round layout. Casters potentially require up to 5 rounds, depending on how powerful they are. The problem is that occasionally I'll forget something in the heat of battle that skews it for the players, sometimes drastically so (forgetting about Counterspell can end an encounter).

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases