D&D 5E Companion Thread to 5E Survivor - Adventures

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
And even more so that Light of Xaryxis is still there, and doing quite well, given how negative the reception to the Spelljammer book seemed to be at the time.
Just after I voted a moment ago, I was thinking this exact thing. ENWorld survival thread voters are a unique cohort of D&D'ers I guess!

Vael

Legend
I've run Light of Xaryxis now twice and while it has problems, I found that I still enjoyed it. First, any adventure that says "Watch Flash Gordon for inspiration" kinda just gets a point from me. Second, the episodic, end each chapter with a cliffhanger really kinda works at the table. Love ending a session with a "Dun Dun Duuuunnnn". Sure, a bunch were non-entities next chapter, and I think the Reigar comes out of nowhere, but it was a fun light adventure that worked well both in a store with strangers and with my home group.

ETA: Thinking about high level support, I checked and realized Tyranny of Dragons only goes to level 15 ... what's the highest level among these official adventures?

Vraal

you can scroll on down, the abyss is massive
ETA: Thinking about high level support, I checked and realized Tyranny of Dragons only goes to level 15 ... what's the highest level among these official adventures?

I think it's Dungeon of the Mad Mage, you're supposed to be "17th to 20th" level by the time you hit the final level of the dungeon.

I wasn't there obviously, but I bet you are being hard on yourself...

That said, you are making it sound like a really cool adventure
It is an excellent adventure and the source material is A+.
There is also a free pdf online for 10 or so more city encounters and some great ideas online by other D&Ders.

But you got to do the prep by reading how the adventure plays out or should play out depending on the PCs choices because they matter, otherwise you will kick yourself as a DM for ruining an excellent city adventure or running it sub-par.
WotC's video clips for MiBG and LotCS are great as well.

I don't vote either way for any adventure I haven't read or played. And I don't buy adventures just to read. So Light of Xaryxis, for example, gets no votes from me in either direction.

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
It is an excellent adventure and the source material is A+.
There is also a free pdf online for 10 or so more city encounters and some great ideas online by other D&Ders.

But you got to do the prep by reading how the adventure plays out or should play out depending on the PCs choices because they matter, otherwise you will kick yourself as a DM for ruining an excellent city adventure or running it sub-par.
On the old Gleemax forums, there were subforums for each of the playtest-era modules. We came up with a bunch of great additional material for MiBG, including additional events. I saved one of the threads here, but I know there was more material I missed.

Copying my comments over from the voting thread, thanks for the link Eyes of Nine.

Putting Phandelver on this list is an odd choice given the book isn't out yet. Or are we judging it on the Lost Mine portion?

Yawning Portal is overrated. One or two of the dungeons are good, but many of them are slogs, poorly designed, or pointless. The Tomb of Horrors is especially bad (and I know, the point of it is to be incredibly deadly even for high level characters, but that doesn't make it good or fun). And the book also suffers from a common early 5e adventure issue where it buries important information in the description of a dungeon room rather than provide the DM with the most relevant information up front.

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
Copying my comments over from the voting thread, thanks for the link Eyes of Nine.

Putting Phandelver on this list is an odd choice given the book isn't out yet. Or are we judging it on the Lost Mine portion?

Yawning Portal is overrated. One or two of the dungeons are good, but many of them are slogs, poorly designed, or pointless. The Tomb of Horrors is especially bad (and I know, the point of it is to be incredibly deadly even for high level characters, but that doesn't make it good or fun). And the book also suffers from a common early 5e adventure issue where it buries important information in the description of a dungeon room rather than provide the DM with the most relevant information up front.
Yeah, I screwed up this particular vote.

I think Yawning Portal gets the love it does because it allows players of the new edition to play adventures from previous ones, and a couple of famous ones to boot. By picking and choosing adventures that have already been playtested, they also avoid some of the pitfalls of the newer books where some of the scenarios have big logic or plot holes (Candlekeep Mysteries, I'm looking at you!)

Remove ads