D&D 5E Companion Thread to 5E Survivor - Adventures

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I don't understand why this one is so beloved? I've run the first part (actually several times over the decades) and quickly fell off it.
I feel like the only great adventure in the Saltmarsh trilogy is "Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh." "Dunwater" is VERY weak - like it's barely an adventure at all, and "Final Enemy" is barely connected to anything.
Of the rest of the Saltmarsh book, there's hardly any connective tissue between any of the adventures. "Isle of the Abbey" looks terrible.
Not saying anyone's wrong for liking this one, I just don't understand the appeal.
The Saltmarsh setting is great even if Dunwater and Final Enemy are mediocre at best. It lends itself to the maritime campaign that can easily be expanded and linked to the whole slew of Smugglers, Pirates and Navy themed adventures (of which there are a lot that remain popular)

Yawning Citadel is an Anthology of Old games. The framing device is meh but it allows selective dipping to try stuff. Not all the stuff is good but they dont have to be

I think Radiant Citadel had some good adventures but the Citadel itself failed as a framing device- I for one dont want a settled Ethereal plane and the citadel just didnt catch my attention much

Last edited:

Yeah, I screwed up this particular vote.

I think Yawning Portal gets the love it does because it allows players of the new edition to play adventures from previous ones, and a couple of famous ones to boot. By picking and choosing adventures that have already been playtested, they also avoid some of the pitfalls of the newer books where some of the scenarios have big logic or plot holes (Candlekeep Mysteries, I'm looking at you!)

I'd rather take a book full of adventures with plot holes that I can mend rather than adventures devoid of plot. I'd heard such good things about Against the Giants, so I was disappointed to find it's just three big dungeons in a row topped off with "surprise, it was drow the whole time!" I can see why the adventure (and the rest of Yawning Portal) appeals to people who really enjoy difficult, technical dungeon crawls, but in my opinion the book has a complete lack of interesting NPCs and engaging stories, and that ruins it for me.

I like the first two adventure in Yawning Portal. We actually just finished Sunless Citadel. I thought it had a cool idea with the creation of the tree. I'd like to run Tomb of Horrors a one shot one day just because it's so infamous. I'm hoping they put out another anthology of older material. I'd throw money at WotC if they made a Vecna book with the old 2e trilogy. I'm really hoping the future Vecna adventure is good.

I'd rather take a book full of adventures with plot holes that I can mend rather than adventures devoid of plot. I'd heard such good things about Against the Giants, so I was disappointed to find it's just three big dungeons in a row topped off with "surprise, it was drow the whole time!"
It's supposed to lead into Decent into The Depths (etc). Odd choice to include the prequel without the meat. And I agree, I thought those adventures where uninteresting when they where current. On the other hand Hidden Shrine and White Plume Mountain have significant nostalgia vibes for me. But it was an odd decision to omit the score sheet from Hidden Shrine, since it reveals the intent of the designer. Without it, is suffers from "why is it like this?!"

I guess Fallen Fortress/Sunken Citadel have high nostalgia for players slightly younger than me.
I can see why the adventure (and the rest of Yawning Portal) appeals to people who really enjoy difficult, technical dungeon crawls, but in my opinion the book has a complete lack of interesting NPCs and engaging stories, and that ruins it for me.
Tended to be the case for TSR publications up until Dragonlance*, although TSR UK and 3PP where starting to produce more story/character driven stuff by the early 80s.

*Aside from Castle Amber, that should really have been in.

MiBG should definitely be within the top 5 for me.
At some point I may stop voting once we get to APs I'm unfamiliar with.

What this poll has highlighted is that I should definitely get Ghosts of Saltmarsh.

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
I'd like to run Tomb of Horrors a one shot one day just because it's so infamous.
If you want to run a ToH-style scenario as a one-shot, I recommend "The Mud Sorcerer's Tomb", from Dungeon #37, and later released during the Next Playtest as a scenario. I mean, I wouldn't run it (I generally play with friends), but if you're looking to do this sort of thing that's probably the one I'd go with...

Last edited:

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
Murder in Baldur's Gate 2 - 2 = 0
meme Look how they massacred my boy.gif

Welp, I feel bad, but most of the downvotes for MiBG were upvotes for Ghosts of Saltmarsh. I actually liked GoS, but Le regole della Famiglia demands adherence! Guess Saltmarsh sleeps with the fishes!

Remove ads