D&D 5E Comparing Monk DPR

auburn2

Adventurer
You know, this whole 5 weeks thing has been bothering me, I wasn't quite sure where you are getting it from, but I didn't bother to look it up.

Just read through the DMG and Xanathars... and it looks like it takes a single week. So, maybe two or two and a half if you combine the selling and the buying into two seperate rolls. So, I have no idea where you got this 5 week number from it seems to be another homebrew rule of your table.
Read more closely. XGE page 126 looking for a specific item - you get to make a persuasion check after 1 week of searching. For +1 studded (a rare item) that check is made with a DC of 20 (very last paragraph, lesft side of the page). If you don't have a negative persuasion, it is possible you find it in 1 week, it is also possible it takes you 20 weeks of searching. RAW it will take an average (median) of 5 weeks to locate studded leather if you have average charisma and no proficiency in persuasion. With proficiency or high charisma it is less, but unless you have a +9 it will always average more than 1 week to find studded leather +1.

And a Comfortable lifestyle involves rent and a lot more than just meals per day. That's why meals are listed seperately, because buying food (the thing you were accusing us of not doing) is not the only thing you do under a lifestyle expense.
The bottom line is you need to spend more money that you were implying.

Also, why be such a big spender? There is nothing wrong with modest which doubles the time you just listed if I wanted to go with lifestyle. Which I didn't. I was talking solely about meals.
Sure and you coul live in squalid conditions for 1sp a day but that is not really role playing very well IMO, especially when by your own admission you are rolling around in thousands of gold.

Yes, I understand how wizards work. Most of our DMs don't go around ruining primary features of our player characters.
Well, I lost my spellbook 3 sessions ago and it made total sense. Sure my DM could have had some miracle where I didn't lose it, just like he could fudge a roll when an enemy kills you outright, but doing that kind of thing kind of ruins the game.

Sure, they could destroy the wizard's spellbook, and therefore they should spend massive amounts of money to make multiple copies to hide in various bolt holes around the world... but we don't, because it isn't exactly fun to make them lose everything. Because, even if you get a new spellbook, it won't have all of your spells you didn't have prepared in it, because you have to copy those down, and you don't have the spell formula to copy.
The best thing to do is prepare a spare ahead of time and put it somewhere, if you have to prepare one after the fact you will lose spells that are not prepared, but it is not like your character is dead.

I also note that you didn't mention the Rollex :p
Because I wear an inexpensive watch my wife bought me for our 10th anniversary, 15 years ago .... and that doesn't sound nearly as cool ;)

In seriousness, I collect cars and guns, so I have quite a lot of both of those things and you hit on a passion of mine.

And yet, you only call for a roll when the situation is in doubt. The players could obviously open the door, there is no doubt, so why force them to roll?
I think kicking the door in, which in truth is usually done when it is locked, but I don't really see a difference either way.

20/16 is a total AC of 18. AC 18 is the AC of Full Plate, a completely non-magical item. You claimed, to remind you, that with an ASI and a half-feat "By 12th level they have the heavy armor guy beat and he will never catch back up without magic" By level 12, the Monk without any magical items can at best have an AC of 19. A fighter with plate and shield is still at 20.

20/16 with BOD is 20. That was your point wasn't it? 20/16 with BOD is the same as a fighter with normal plate and a shield.

As you stated earlier BOD are the same as a 50gp non-magical shield.

So at 8th level the monk with BOD has matched the plate and shield fighter and at 12th he has beat him and the fighter will never catch up without magic. That non-magic shield no longer can "keep up" with BOD

Did I understand your position wrong?

Are you seeing the discrepancy?
No I am not. Either the BOD are better than the shield (and deserve more restrictions to using) or they aren't

And keep in mind in saying they are the same we are looking at AC only and completely ignoring the bonus you get to encumberance and stealth and a free hand that the bracers give that Monk.

And, generally, if you are going to compare a character with a magical item to one without, the character with the magical item should be better off.
Unless your whole argument is that the magic item is no better than a mundane item.

Ideally they aren't. Things shouldn't cost more than they are worth. And something that can't be sold isn't given a value. Sure, I guess an insurance investor might give it a value, but concept is still "if I sell this
RAW you roll to get cost and it will typically be more than the value, and that is after you spent money and time searching for it.

Which isn't RAW. Sure, you can, but you can also just choose to put things in. Randomly rolled magic items are a bit of a blight in my opinion.
It is RAW, that is why there are tables. The DM choosing to give characters cool magic items to fit their build is a bit silly IMO. If you are going to do that, just give a sunblade and plate +3 to the first Goblins you encounter at 1st level.

(We had a game once where we had saved a celestial realm, and the magic angel dwarves brought us to their forge to give us items. DM rolled. One player got an Oathbow, one player got a Vorpal Sword, one player got a Defender.... I got a shield of Expression. A common magical item that was worse than the magical shield I was already using.)
Why are you complaining? Sounds a lot better than just handing you something - Oh I just happened to stumble on exactly what my player needs to be uber powerful.

IT was your example that you needed AC while sleeping. Presumably you are worried about being attacked at night. Light Armor can be slept in with no penalty.
With no penalty to AC. It is a huge penalty to role playing, just like living modestly when you are walking around with tens of thousands of gold in your purse (unless you have some religious or other reason to live modestly)

If I had to be attuned to an item that was just a glorified prop I wouldn't attune to it.
My pipe is a hell of a lot more fun than a magic shield, and that is what d&d is supposed to be about.

Attunement slots run out fast. I'm not saying I would never use any magical item that didn't have a defined use. Sure, if I had that pipe my character might use it too, sounds like a fun toy. But attunement? Nope, I would never attune to it. It simply isn't worth the cost.
It is worth the cost. It is probably worth it even if you have something that gives bonuses that you will lose out on. Honestly if I had to attune to it and I got 3 other items I could attune to, I would attune to 2 of them when I was in town and in the tavern etc and then maybe swap out in the rest right before I entered the dungeon or journeyed into the badlands.

Just playing a numbers or power game is really not my thing. That is what 3E was and I did not liek that edition very much.

Well, sure, if I was a shield wearing character with three attuned items. Then again, I'd also be fairly high level... so, good bet that that enemy might also have some magical gear.

But again, I don't even see why I would need to drop the weapon in the first place. I just mentioned it because you seem to insist that you must always have a free hand during combat, but you have never once supported that. I've made some guesses, but then showed that those aren't things that come up. So, how about you tell me why I would attack an enemy and then drop my weapon? What is the situation where that free hand is that important?
You are the one who said you could do it every turn, not me.

As for an example - you want to throw a javelin, but you are holding a shield and a sword, if you sheath the sword you waste a turn and can't attack. So you drop it (free), draw your Javelin (interact), throw it (action). Now your sword is on the ground and the enemy can pick it up.

Alternatively you can sheath your sword (interact) and draw your javelin (action), but then you can't attack this turn.

There are fighting styles and feats that could change this, but without them that is where you are if both hands are full. If you did not have a shield, you just draw the javelin and attack with one hand while still holding the sword with the other.

That is one example.

You would be right about the game with the one DM, but the other is 90% roleplaying with quite limited combat.

And, Charisma is something that you need to invest it pretty heavily for it to be worth it. And since we usually have a bard, warlock or paladin, or a rogue with expertise the Cleric isn't usually called on as the face of the party to make the big rolls.

Then again, you seem like your game involves a lot of unneccesary die rolling, so you might be reacting to that. Funny how you never seem to need athletics though.
Actually I play Rogues more than any other class and I always get expertise in athletics when I play a Rogue, even though I usually dump strength. I use Grapple or Shove quite often with a Rogue and the expertise makes me decent at 1st level, good at 5th level and really good at high level despite a low strength. FWIW my Rogues typically take the other expertise at 1st level in a charisma skill.

If we are using point buy I usually dump strength unless I am playing a Barbarian. Also, if I have a Paladin and I want to multiclass I will give them a 12 or 13 Strength to start. Because of that I rarely get athletics on non-Rogues unless we roll abilities and I happen to roll a good strength. I usually do have a good dexterity though and I do get acrobatics proficiency somewhat regularly on non-Rogues. Not all the time, but a fair amount.

Last edited:

Chaosmancer

Legend
Read more closely. XGE page 126 looking for a specific item - you get to make a persuasion check after 1 week of searching. For +1 studded (a rare item) that check is made with a DC of 20 (very last paragraph, lesft side of the page). If you don't have a negative persuasion, it is possible you find it in 1 week, it is also possible it takes you 20 weeks of searching. RAW it will take an average (median) of 5 weeks to locate studded leather if you have average charisma and no proficiency in persuasion. With proficiency or high charisma it is less, but unless you have a +9 it will always average more than 1 week to find studded leather +1.

So, in other words, you are making assumptions with little base. For example, there is no reason that two character's couldn't go looking, counting as the Help Action. That gives the character advantage. If the group is working together to ensure that the character is getting what they need, they are likely putting the face towards this challenge. That means you are likely looking at someone with a +6 minimum, and advantage which gives them approximately (for ease of math sake) another +5, for a +11 total.

So, a week. Not five. Players leveraging their abilities to be effective is a thing after all.

The bottom line is you need to spend more money that you were implying.

No, the bottom line is that I was talking about meals, and you wanted to talk about Living Expenses. Meals are a part of living Expenses, but you can have them separately.

I was also talking about Modest (and you could scrimp and choose to go Poor) and you wanted to talk about Comfortable.

So, you are trying to say I was wrong by insisting on changing the value and item to make me wrong.

Sure and you coul live in squalid conditions for 1sp a day but that is not really role playing very well IMO, especially when by your own admission you are rolling around in thousands of gold.

Who says that isn't roleplaying well? Look up famous misers. There were people who were worth hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars who never changed out of the same set of clothes and dug through the trash to eat moldy food all in the desire to save money.

If I'm saving my money to buy something important, I might eat a less fancy dinner. It is a thing people do all the time.

Well, I lost my spellbook 3 sessions ago and it made total sense. Sure my DM could have had some miracle where I didn't lose it, just like he could fudge a roll when an enemy kills you outright, but doing that kind of thing kind of ruins the game.

I'm sorry you put yourself in that situation then, but since most wizards don't hold their books between themselves and incoming weapons, and most fire and acid attacks specify they don't harm items that are being worn or carried, the only time we really could find ourselves in that situation is if the DM specifically set out to have an NPC steal or destroy a spell book.

And that just isn't something DMs have tended to do,

The best thing to do is prepare a spare ahead of time and put it somewhere, if you have to prepare one after the fact you will lose spells that are not prepared, but it is not like your character is dead.

Sure, that is the "best" thing, but since it has never come up we don't have our wizards spending hundreds or thousands of gold and time to copy their spells into a new spell book that they also put somewhere that we will have to backtrack to.

I think kicking the door in, which in truth is usually done when it is locked, but I don't really see a difference either way.

That doesn't answer the question.

If the players know the door is unlocked, and they could trivially have someone just turn the handle and open it, why force them to roll if they decide to kick it? What is in doubt? The door is definitely going to end up opened no matter what they roll.

20/16 with BOD is 20. That was your point wasn't it? 20/16 with BOD is the same as a fighter with normal plate and a shield.

As you stated earlier BOD are the same as a 50gp non-magical shield.

So at 8th level the monk with BOD has matched the plate and shield fighter and at 12th he has beat him and the fighter will never catch up without magic. That non-magic shield no longer can "keep up" with BOD

Did I understand your position wrong?

No I am not. Either the BOD are better than the shield (and deserve more restrictions to using) or they aren't

And keep in mind in saying they are the same we are looking at AC only and completely ignoring the bonus you get to encumberance and stealth and a free hand that the bracers give that Monk.

Unless your whole argument is that the magic item is no better than a mundane item.

Sure, at 8th level with an ASI and a half and a rare magical item taking up an attunement slot, the Monk can match the AC of a fighter who is wearing full plate and carrying a shield (something they have likely had for multiple levels) who has not invested completely into defense.

But, again, you are dead wrong about the bolded part. Because all the Fighter needs to "catch up" is to actually be beating the Monk at level 8 by having the Defensive Fighting Style, which gives them +1 to AC.

And, while you are crowing a victory over here, remember, it took until 12th level, with all ASIs going into improving the Monks ability scores to raise their AC, to let their magical item be equal to a fighter or paladin in mundane equipment with a level 1 ability. And, if the Fighter or Paladin had a single source of magic that gives them any AC? The Monk is no longer winning in AC. If the Monk wants to get a feat instead of a half feat? They are no longer beating the AC.

BoD isn't better than the shield, a Monk can just naturally end up with better AC through their abilities. Which hey, that's great, and important to remember, but then we have to make sure that we answer the question "What if other people have magical items?" And then we find out that other magical items are better than the BoD. Why are they better? Because they required proficiency? That is not a good answer. +1 Armor and Shields are better armor than an item designed to give an AC bonus to people who can't use armor and Shields. A +1 shield is only uncommon, it isn't even Rare, and it is all that is needed to again match or beat the Monk with BoD wh is spending attunement and has a more powerful, rare, item.

The point isn't solely that the BoD isn't better than mundane equipment (because it isn't. A Monk with all of their monk abilities but the ability to have shield proficiency gets the exact same benefits) but that ALSO it is a poorly designed item when compared to other similar magical items.

RAW you roll to get cost and it will typically be more than the value, and that is after you spent money and time searching for it.

I'm sure you are aware of the concept of mark-ups and how this doesn't invalidate my point at all.

It is RAW, that is why there are tables. The DM choosing to give characters cool magic items to fit their build is a bit silly IMO. If you are going to do that, just give a sunblade and plate +3 to the first Goblins you encounter at 1st level.

Useless hyperbole and I'm pretty sure that RAW doesn't state one way or the other about whether or not you should roll for treasure. It exists as an option, not the default.

Why are you complaining? Sounds a lot better than just handing you something - Oh I just happened to stumble on exactly what my player needs to be uber powerful.

How does getting cheated out of any possible reward for the adventure sound better?

I was literally getting nothing. It was a shield that could make a funny face, and I already had a shield given to us randomly and with no importance that increased my initiative, back like 10 levels before this adventure. And this funny-face shield was being given to me by the greatest craftsmen in the multiverse as a reward for saving an entire plane of existence.

If other people had gotten dummy items, maybe it would have been different, but I was literally the only person who got a poor roll. Literally everyone else got powerful items, whether they could use them or not.

The only possible comparison I can think of is going to receive the Medal of Honor for service in the military, and standing in line alongside your comrades, watching them get the medals, then you get handed some pocket lint. It was utterly jarring, made zero sense, and made everything we had done seem like a joke.

With no penalty to AC. It is a huge penalty to role playing, just like living modestly when you are walking around with tens of thousands of gold in your purse (unless you have some religious or other reason to live modestly)

There is no RP penalty if you are that paranoid. Heck, it seems to me like that is a great RP element. (In fact, I know this rule because I have a character who is constantly in their armor, even when sleeping. They were trained to always be prepared for deadly combat and they being twitchy and nervous like that is a big part of their character)

My pipe is a hell of a lot more fun than a magic shield, and that is what d&d is supposed to be about.

You know, you are right. DnD is about having fun. So, why would I accept having less fun by having items that are meant only for being goofy and flavorful take up actual resources? That doesn't sound fun, that sounds like wasting time.

It is worth the cost. It is probably worth it even if you have something that gives bonuses that you will lose out on. Honestly if I had to attune to it and I got 3 other items I could attune to, I would attune to 2 of them when I was in town and in the tavern etc and then maybe swap out in the rest right before I entered the dungeon or journeyed into the badlands.

Just playing a numbers or power game is really not my thing. That is what 3E was and I did not liek that edition very much.

This isn't even power gaming. Your pipe sounds like a fun magic item, and as a fun magic item that is meant to simply be a weird character detail I'd probably enjoy it.

But if you tried to make me attune to it, losing out on bonus I might need when the DM "suddenly" causes us to be ambushed and attacked in town, I'm not going to do it. I want to be ready for when the adventure starts, and something playful like that that serves no purpose isn't worth that risk.

You are the one who said you could do it every turn, not me.

As for an example - you want to throw a javelin, but you are holding a shield and a sword, if you sheath the sword you waste a turn and can't attack. So you drop it (free), draw your Javelin (interact), throw it (action). Now your sword is on the ground and the enemy can pick it up.

Alternatively you can sheath your sword (interact) and draw your javelin (action), but then you can't attack this turn.

There are fighting styles and feats that could change this, but without them that is where you are if both hands are full. If you did not have a shield, you just draw the javelin and attack with one hand while still holding the sword with the other.

That is one example.

If the enemy is close enough to grab my sword, why am I throwing a javelin? Even if I ran towards them and couldn't make it, I would likely be just as good taking the dodge action or readying an attack to hit them when they came into range.

And sure, if I didn't have a shield, I could throw that javelin with no problem. But I also have a near constant -2 AC from what I could have, and that makes me easier to hit, which means I lose more HP, and either cost the healers more spell slots or am more likely to get KO'd in battle.

That sounds like a poor trade for just the occasional Javelin toss.

Actually I play Rogues more than any other class and I always get expertise in athletics when I play a Rogue, even though I usually dump strength. I use Grapple or Shove quite often with a Rogue and the expertise makes me decent at 1st level, good at 5th level and really good at high level despite a low strength. FWIW my Rogues typically take the other expertise at 1st level in a charisma skill.

If we are using point buy I usually dump strength unless I am playing a Barbarian. Also, if I have a Paladin and I want to multiclass I will give them a 12 or 13 Strength to start. Because of that I rarely get athletics on non-Rogues unless we roll abilities and I happen to roll a good strength. I usually do have a good dexterity though and I do get acrobatics proficiency somewhat regularly on non-Rogues. Not all the time, but a fair amount.

You do you man, but giving up your entire attack and sneak attack to push someone 5 ft, or end up next to them with them unable to move (because that is all Grapple does, it imposes no other penalties) is not something I have literally ever seen a rogue do.

And none of this applies to Clerics. I played a cleric who dumped their dex to an 8 and focused on strength and Wisdom. A generally solid build, if I had chosen a better race for the mechanical side of things. And, this cleric had one thing over the rest of the party. The best AC. He was a walking tank, and incredibly hard to hit. Because Plate and Shield.

auburn2

Adventurer
Who says that isn't roleplaying well? Look up famous misers. There were people who were worth hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars who never changed out of the same set of clothes and dug through the trash to eat moldy food all in the desire to save money.
And they are not going around looking to spend thousands either. To use your previous example, there are not people that go shopping for Ferraris and Rolex's while also eating Ramen noodles and living in the projects. Misers are not going to be in the part of town where magic studded leather is sold, let alone be shopping for it.

I'm sorry you put yourself in that situation then, but since most wizards don't hold their books between themselves and incoming weapons, and most fire and acid attacks specify they don't harm items that are being worn or carried, the only time we really could find ourselves in that situation is if the DM specifically set out to have an NPC steal or destroy a spell book.
No need to be sorry. The book was stolen from me, along with a lot of stuff. I am having fun in the game.

Sure, that is the "best" thing, but since it has never come up we don't have our wizards spending hundreds or thousands of gold and time to copy their spells into a new spell book that they also put somewhere that we will have to backtrack to.
Lemunds chest is one place to put a spare. You can also give a spare to another PC, leave it with an inkeeper (and pay him), leave it at your camp ..... but other than those things, yes you will have to backtrack
If the players know the door is unlocked, and they could trivially have someone just turn the handle and open it, why force them to roll if they decide to kick it? What is in doubt? The door is definitely going to end up opened no matter what they roll.
IF they are not in combat already sure. Opening a door, throwing a lever, picking up an object, getting a potion out of your pack - I think these are all examples in the PHB, in the combat section of the PHB to boot, and you can not do any of them with an item in both hands. If you start the turn with an item in both hands you need to drop it or use an action to do any of these things.

How about this as an example - you are holding your sword and shield and you want to drink a potion of healing. Just like the door example, you have to drop your sword on the ground to do that this turn. Are you going to tell me you never drink potions in combat either? Or maybe you use your foot to kick your potion out of your pack and open it.

But, again, you are dead wrong about the bolded part. Because all the Fighter needs to "catch up" is to actually be beating the Monk at level 8 by having the Defensive Fighting Style, which gives them +1 to AC.
Maybe, but now you are counting a fighting style in there and one he chose over others. When you start looking at that you need to start considering monk abilities too, like BA dodge for example.

In combat a fighter with a 21 AC is going to get hit by attacks more often than a monk with a 21 AC, so equal is not really equal.

BoD isn't better than the shield, a Monk can just naturally end up with better AC through their abilities. Which hey, that's great, and important to remember, but then we have to make sure that we answer the question "What if other people have magical items?"
What if they do? It doesn't have any effect on the central hypothesis - BOD is no better than a mundane, 50gp shield.

And then we find out that other magical items are better than the BoD. Why are they better? Because they required proficiency? That is not a good answer. +1 Armor and Shields are better armor than an item designed to give an AC bonus to people who can't use armor and Shields. A +1 shield is only uncommon, it isn't even Rare, and it is all that is needed to again match or beat the Monk with BoD wh is spending attunement and has a more powerful, rare, it
Like I said, we had a magic shield no one in the party wanted. Armor and shields provide AC? Good job stating the obvious.

Yeah it will match or beat the Monk in AC .... but so will taking dodge every turn, or using your concentration on shield of faith or a dozen other things. AC isn't everything though and a shield +1 is uncommon because it isn't that great.

The point isn't solely that the BoD isn't better than mundane equipment (because it isn't. A Monk with all of their monk abilities but the ability to have shield proficiency gets the exact same benefits) but that ALSO it is a poorly designed item when compared to other similar magical items.
Unarmored defense does not work with shields, so shield proficiency would be irrelevant unless his wisdom is below 14. Further he would lose his martial arts attack and flurry of blows ability if he is holding a weapon in the other hand (unless he dropped it after attacking).

How does getting cheated out of any possible reward for the adventure sound better?
How does it matter at all?

I was literally getting nothing. It was a shield that could make a funny face, and I already had a shield given to us randomly and with no importance that increased my initiative, back like 10 levels before this adventure. And this funny-face shield was being given to me by the greatest craftsmen in the multiverse as a reward for saving an entire plane of existence.
You (player) were getting to play. Your character could spend the next year of game time complaining and joking with the others about how you were screwed.

If other people had gotten dummy items, maybe it would have been different, but I was literally the only person who got a poor roll. Literally everyone else got powerful items, whether they could use them or not.
Rolls are rolls, it is part of the game.

There is no RP penalty if you are that paranoid. Heck, it seems to me like that is a great RP element. (In fact, I know this rule because I have a character who is constantly in their armor, even when sleeping. They were trained to always be prepared for deadly combat and they being twitchy and nervous like that is a big part of their character)
Ok, I guess, but how many players are that guy? Do you wear armor into the bathtub too?

You know, you are right. DnD is about having fun. So, why would I accept having less fun by having items that are meant only for being goofy and flavorful take up actual resources? That doesn't sound fun, that sounds like wasting time.
Flavor is the whole point

This isn't even power gaming. Your pipe sounds like a fun magic item, and as a fun magic item that is meant to simply be a weird character detail I'd probably enjoy it.

But if you tried to make me attune to it, losing out on bonus I might need when the DM "suddenly" causes us to be ambushed and attacked in town, I'm not going to do it. I want to be ready for when the adventure starts, and something playful like that that serves no purpose isn't worth that risk.
I guess if your character is that stuffy and serious it makes sense. Most characters I play with do things like drink and gamble and joke around and do all sorts of stuff they would not do if the were constantly looking over their shoulder waiting to be ambushed.

If the enemy is close enough to grab my sword, why am I throwing a javelin? Even if I ran towards them and couldn't make it, I would likely be just as good taking the dodge action or readying an attack to hit them when they came into range.
Maybe, or maybe you used all your movement and killed one enemy with your first attack, now you have a second attack. Maybe are throwing it at the guy trying to flee and raise the alarm, while the guy who is going to pick it up is 10 feet away from you.

Can you honestly say you have never had a character with extra attack mix a range and melee attack ... or like I said above wanted to drink a potion, or use a scroll, or light a torch or anything else that requires a free hand in combat?

And sure, if I didn't have a shield, I could throw that javelin with no problem. But I also have a near constant -2 AC from what I could have, and that makes me easier to hit, which means I lose more HP, and either cost the healers more spell slots or am more likely to get KO'd in battle.
Not really. The difference is small unless you are a caster with the shield spell or you can use or you have defensive duelist or some other way of imposing a penalty or disadvantage after the attack roll.

Against a foe with a +10 attack a person with an 18AC is going to get hit 18% more often than a person with a 20AC (assuming they can't do the things above). If you get attacked 50 times in an adventuring day it is about 32 hits vs 27 hits. In terms of damage it is less than 18% difference because of the criticals.

Now if you can cast shield or blur or you are a defensive duelist, or war magic wizard or something, you can make substantially more mileage out of that difference.

You do you man, but giving up your entire attack and sneak attack to push someone 5 ft, or end up next to them with them unable to move (because that is all Grapple does, it imposes no other penalties) is not something I have literally ever seen a rogue do.
Do it all the time, usually I usually knock the enemy prone though, not back 5 feet (unless I am knocking him off a bridge or a ledge or something). knock a melee enemy prone also uses up half his movement when he gets back up, severely restricting his mobility and options. Knock him prone, use fast hands to throw down some caltrops and then move your full movement and you have cost him two to three turns before he can get to you or really anyone else if the party plays it smart. IT is more than two or three if he actually tries to move through the caltrops at a normal pace and fails his save.

Enemy goes invisible and ready action to grapple when he makes his attack, then you can grab him and he can't get away and hide again and your allies pound him. Use shove to push a guy away then use bonus action dash to move across the battlefield (or flee).

Also you can move wherever you want with the grappled guy. he can't move but you can move him, that is the main point of it. He can attack the Rogue but only the Rogue or someone else within 5 feet unless he makes a missile attack (with disadvantage) or a spell attack. Drag him into a web, or into a cloud of daggers or really anywhere you want to put him and you get to keep attacking him every turn while he is grappled.

The other thing it is great for is flying enemies. As long as they are not 2 sizes larger than you, you can grapple them and force them to stay on the ground while your buddies (and in future turns you) pound them. They have to waste an action to try to escape.

And none of this applies to Clerics. I played a cleric who dumped their dex to an 8 and focused on strength and Wisdom. A generally solid build, if I had chosen a better race for the mechanical side of things. And, this cleric had one thing over the rest of the party. The best AC. He was a walking tank, and incredibly hard to hit. Because Plate and Shield.
The thing that kills that character for me is the low dexterity and the disadvantagee on stealth. I just think it creates a tough time trying to sneak anywhere unless you leave him behind.

The best melee tanks I have seen played are bladesingers and really I have never seen anything else close. Save for half spells kill them pretty easily (until 10th level) but they are the most difficult players to hit in my experience both as a DM and as a player. Bladesong and blur (or protection from good and evil) in round 1 and you will often need to roll a double 20 (20 with disadvantage) to hit them. I played one that did not get hit by an attack in combat a single time for several entire levels (from level 6 to 8 if I remember correctly).

Note: an EK in plate and shield with shield spell and blur can match a BS for a little while, but they don't have enough spell slots to keep up for very long.

Last edited:

Chaosmancer

Legend
And they are not going around looking to spend thousands either. To use your previous example, there are not people that go shopping for Ferraris and Rolex's while also eating Ramen noodles and living in the projects. Misers are not going to be in the part of town where magic studded leather is sold, let alone be shopping for it.

So, I can't have a person who is saving their money for a magical item, because people with money either never spend it on anything and thus wouldn't seek magical protection, or they could never have enough self-control to spend simply on food to save the money in the first place.

I'm not sure I am the one with the Roleplaying problem here.

Lemunds chest is one place to put a spare. You can also give a spare to another PC, leave it with an inkeeper (and pay him), leave it at your camp ..... but other than those things, yes you will have to backtrack

So, now we are making sure to have a specific spell, with an expensive material component. Or hoping that whoever is targeting the wizard isn't smart enough to look for other copies in the party's gear.

Look, I get that wizards can make copies of their spellbook, and that in certain campaigns that is smart. But it isn't how we play, we don't target the class's abilities to nerf them. Could it possibly happen emergently? I guess, but it has never come up before, and none of us expect it to.

IF they are not in combat already sure. Opening a door, throwing a lever, picking up an object, getting a potion out of your pack - I think these are all examples in the PHB, in the combat section of the PHB to boot, and you can not do any of them with an item in both hands. If you start the turn with an item in both hands you need to drop it or use an action to do any of these things.

How about this as an example - you are holding your sword and shield and you want to drink a potion of healing. Just like the door example, you have to drop your sword on the ground to do that this turn. Are you going to tell me you never drink potions in combat either? Or maybe you use your foot to kick your potion out of your pack and open it.

If we are playing RAW? No, we don't use potions of healing in combat except to give them to another player who is making death saves. A full action to heal less than a full round of combat's damage? That is wasting our time on hoping they miss us.

Now, we have homebrewed to allow a person to use a potion as a bonus action, so they see a little bit more use, but honestly, still not much. We do a lot more with magical healing or various abilities in the thick of combat and save the potions for later.

And as for the other actions you listed. We don't open and close doors after combat starts, we don't mess with levers after combat starts (and you could totally through a lever with a shield or sword hand). None of this has ever come up in 7 years of 5e game play. And if it did, there are people who aren't using the shield, who can do the thing.

Maybe, but now you are counting a fighting style in there and one he chose over others. When you start looking at that you need to start considering monk abilities too, like BA dodge for example.

In combat a fighter with a 21 AC is going to get hit by attacks more often than a monk with a 21 AC, so equal is not really equal.

1) "He cannot catch up without magic" was your claim. Fighting Styles are not magic, and they let him catch up.

2) An entirely passive ability that is always on versus one that requires a resource and a bonus action and the choice to lower their damage specifically. That is very hard to directly compare.

And, I want to take a moment here, because we've been getting some side-tracks and some rabbit holes. I assume that the classes are (roughly) balanced. If you take the fighter out of the PHB and the Monk out of the PHB, they are roughly equivalent in what they can do. However, classes were not balanced with feats and magic items in mind.

And this is where the monk has been suffering I think. There are very few feats and very few magical items designed for them. But also, ideally, magical items should be balanced against magical items. And the Monk getting BoD is getting a boost as is, which they should be getting, because Magical Items are a boost to the class. But, all that boost is is +2 AC on a Rare item. And, if we look +2 AC on a Rare item for the Fighter doesn't require attunement, even though it puts them potentially higher than the monk, and it can stack with other AC boosting items like Armor.

That is the complaint. That is the disconnect. That +2 AC on the Monk is somehow considered more valuable and needing to be regulated compared to the Fighter getting anywhere between a +1 and a +6 depending on the number and rarity of items. Even though, with completely non-magical set-ups, the fighter has easier access and ultimately higher AC than the monk. The balance of the Magical Items is not right.

What if they do? It doesn't have any effect on the central hypothesis - BOD is no better than a mundane, 50gp shield.

Which, in raw AC numbers, it isn't. It is +2 AC, a shield is +2 AC. BoD means that you have a free hand, but also that you use an attunment slot and that you cannot wear any armor to gain the benefit. Shield means that you don't have a free hand, but it stacks with literally anything except BoD.

For a person who can use armor and a shield, the shield is just flat better 90% of the time.

Like I said, we had a magic shield no one in the party wanted. Armor and shields provide AC? Good job stating the obvious.

Yeah it will match or beat the Monk in AC .... but so will taking dodge every turn, or using your concentration on shield of faith or a dozen other things. AC isn't everything though and a shield +1 is uncommon because it isn't that great.

Again, magical items should be balanced against magical items. +2 AC from a Rare item should be equivalent. You want to bring in spells and dodging and all of this other stuff to muddy the waters, but at the end of the day you can't obscure this fact.

A +2 shield gives a +2 magical AC bonus, and does not require attunement, and can stack with any armor, even magical armor. BoD gives a +2 magical AC bonus, requires attunement and requires wearing no armor and not using a shield. These items are supposed to be equivalent, but they clearly are not.

Unarmored defense does not work with shields, so shield proficiency would be irrelevant unless his wisdom is below 14. Further he would lose his martial arts attack and flurry of blows ability if he is holding a weapon in the other hand (unless he dropped it after attacking).

Yes, I know how the rules work. However, if there was a monk released that could use a shield without losing all that stuff, hypothetically, then the mundane shield is offering pretty much all of the benefits of BoD. That is the point. That is why I don't understand why this item requires attunement, it is only going to be used by one or two classes, and it's benefit doesn't reach beyond other similar items.

How does it matter at all?

Because if I get told "and you will all be rewarded for your service" and all of my companions get rewarded, and I get NOTHING then that saps the fun out of it, doesn't it? My character is being cheated, for literally no reason.

You (player) were getting to play. Your character could spend the next year of game time complaining and joking with the others about how you were screwed.

Oh yes, so funny. "Hey guys, remember that time you all got really cool magical items for saving that dimension, and I got nothing? Wasn't that so funny how you guys got the reward they promised, but a random quirk of fate means I got nothing at all. So amusing, hey, do you think I'll get anything for this next adventure?"

By the way, no, that isn't fun, that isn't something I'm going to joke about.

And acting like "you were given the gift of playing the game" comes into this at all is insulting. I'd have been fine if no one got a reward for this. We didn't expect a reward for this. But the DM said we were getting a reward, he said it was coming from a place of giving us incredibly magical items, and then because he rolled the dice I got nothing.

Being cheated isn't fun. It isn't amusing. It isn't just part of the game.

Rolls are rolls, it is part of the game.

So is taking hp damage. I would have complained if my reward was 8d6 fire damage to the face too.

And my entire point was that this was an inappropriate time to roll. I guess you have no problem with the potential of being screwed over by good aligned master craftsmen who are thanking you for doing massively heroic things, but that does bother me. The DM just didn't want to bother looking through the book for rewards, so he rolled on a spreadsheet. We could have gotten cursed items that harmed our characters as a "reward"

I don't understand how you can't see that that is detrimental to the game.

Ok, I guess, but how many players are that guy? Do you wear armor into the bathtub too?

He doesn't get in the bathtub. Bathtubs aren't invented.

And, who cares how many players are that guy? You said it was a roleplaying problem. It isn't. It is roleplaying.

Flavor is the whole point

When flavor gets in the way of fun, then there are problems.

I guess if your character is that stuffy and serious it makes sense. Most characters I play with do things like drink and gamble and joke around and do all sorts of stuff they would not do if the were constantly looking over their shoulder waiting to be ambushed.

Nothing wrong with being prepared for trouble. It just means we can transition smoothly from doing other things to danger. And in the worlds of DnD that sort of preparedness makes sense.

Maybe, or maybe you used all your movement and killed one enemy with your first attack, now you have a second attack. Maybe are throwing it at the guy trying to flee and raise the alarm, while the guy who is going to pick it up is 10 feet away from you.

Can you honestly say you have never had a character with extra attack mix a range and melee attack ... or like I said above wanted to drink a potion, or use a scroll, or light a torch or anything else that requires a free hand in combat?

Only clerics, druids, and paladins can use scrolls while using shields, to me knowledge, and no, we rarely ever use scrolls. We tend to get stuff that just isn't very useful in scroll form and save them for RP moments.

Covered potions

Lighting a torch should not be done in combat, and we rarely bother with torches. Between lanterns, the light cantrips, and darkvision, there is rarely a need for torches. And there is no reason you can't have a lantern strapped to you, and we generally light those before combat.

So, again, no. It doesn't come up.

And, as for your other example, yeah, sometimes it sucks that you miss out on an attack. Happens. But, if that were the situation, that you killed a guy, and even if you used all your movement you couldn't reach melee with a second, then you have to consider the options. If you stay where you are at, can he reach you? If no, he can't pick up your weapon and attack you with it. If yes, then don't drop your weapon, in fact, fall back a little, see if you can't get him to overextend.

One guy is running to raise the alarm, but a second is standing there? Lots wrong with that scenario. Even if you kill the first guy, why isn't the second running to raise the alarm? But, let us say you are right, throwing a javelin would kill one guy, but cause a second to run up to me, grab my own weapon and hit me with it. Great. Let's do that. Because the alarm being raised is worse, right?

It is all about calculating what you want, and what is likely to happen. If dropping your weapon allows you to be more likely to reach your goal, that is what you do. This isn't that hard to wrap your mind around.

Not really. The difference is small unless you are a caster with the shield spell or you can use or you have defensive duelist or some other way of imposing a penalty or disadvantage after the attack roll.

Against a foe with a +10 attack a person with an 18AC is going to get hit 18% more often than a person with a 20AC (assuming they can't do the things above). If you get attacked 50 times in an adventuring day it is about 32 hits vs 27 hits. In terms of damage it is less than 18% difference because of the criticals.

Now if you can cast shield or blur or you are a defensive duelist, or war magic wizard or something, you can make substantially more mileage out of that difference.

If the difference is that small, why is it a problem to have BoD take no attunement?

Do it all the time, usually I usually knock the enemy prone though, not back 5 feet (unless I am knocking him off a bridge or a ledge or something). knock a melee enemy prone also uses up half his movement when he gets back up, severely restricting his mobility and options. Knock him prone, use fast hands to throw down some caltrops and then move your full movement and you have cost him two to three turns before he can get to you or really anyone else if the party plays it smart. IT is more than two or three if he actually tries to move through the caltrops at a normal pace and fails his save.

Enemy goes invisible and ready action to grapple when he makes his attack, then you can grab him and he can't get away and hide again and your allies pound him. Use shove to push a guy away then use bonus action dash to move across the battlefield (or flee).

Also you can move wherever you want with the grappled guy. he can't move but you can move him, that is the main point of it. He can attack the Rogue but only the Rogue or someone else within 5 feet unless he makes a missile attack (with disadvantage) or a spell attack. Drag him into a web, or into a cloud of daggers or really anywhere you want to put him and you get to keep attacking him every turn while he is grappled.

The other thing it is great for is flying enemies. As long as they are not 2 sizes larger than you, you can grapple them and force them to stay on the ground while your buddies (and in future turns you) pound them. They have to waste an action to try to escape.

I don't want to get even further into the weeds with all of this, but I will say that quite often the fact that people need to be in melee to deal damage makes limiting mobility a poor choice.

The rogue is not a character who is particularly good at being the focus of attention. You can, with uncanny dodge taking your reaction, but they were not designed for locking down enemies and forcing them to focus on you. I'm glad it works for you, but we take other approaches.

The thing that kills that character for me is the low dexterity and the disadvantagee on stealth. I just think it creates a tough time trying to sneak anywhere unless you leave him behind.

Sure, it can be a problem, but it is something you can work around. Plus, it is kind of hard to sneak anyways when no one is bothering to sneak. That group was very head-on with challenges. The only time the negative dex was an issue was actually another rolled magical item. I was given a crossbow that could heal people when shot with it. Seems great for a doctor, until I pointed out to the DM that with no proficiency, and a -1, I'd just be wasting my time trying to use it.

That was a box that gave random items though, so not as bad as the reward situation.

auburn2

Adventurer
So, I can't have a person who is saving their money for a magical item, because people with money either never spend it on anything and

If we are playing RAW? No, we don't use potions of healing in combat except to give them to another player who is making death saves. A full action to heal less than a full round of combat's damage? That is wasting our time on hoping they miss us.
Well there is a specific part in the PHB about using potions, so most people do. There are other potions besides heaqling too, how about flying so you can attack the flying enemy with your strength-based melee character .... or even in the example you gave, you must drop your weapon (leaving it on the floor) to administer person to a downed ally.

Now, we have homebrewed to allow a person to use a potion as a bonus action, so they see a little bit more use, but honestly, still not much. We do a lot more with magical healing or various abilities in the thick of combat and save the potions for later.
Well that explains one reason why having a hand free is not a big deal and is also not RAW. Sure if you bend the rules so you can take more actions in combat then not having an intract available to pull out your potion (or do anythgin else with a free hand) is not a big deal.

To use some examples from the PHB; if you allow people to do other interact with objects including "throw a lever .... open or close a door ....withrdraw a potion from a backpack .... pull a torch from a scone, don a mask" without using an action, in addition to also sheathing a sword without using an action, or allowing new things to be done with a BA, then you are fundamentally changing the action economy and doing it in a way which offers substantial advantageous to characters doing sword and board or TWF because they will have fewer turns with "wasted" actions reconfiguring what they are holding.

This explains why shields are so popular in your game, you are eliminating one of the biggest (arguably the biggest) negative to using one.

I am not saying this is wrong, if it works in your game do it, but it does change this discussion substantially

And as for the other actions you listed. We don't open and close doors after combat starts, we don't mess with levers after combat starts (and you could totally through a lever with a shield or sword hand). None of this has ever come up in 7 years of 5e game play. And if it did, there are people who aren't using the shield, who can do the thing.
So you only do one of 21 things called out in the players handbook under interact with an object?

Let's say for the sake of discussion, the enemy wizard fires a spell and then goes through a door and closes it behind him. You just stand there and do not do anything? You don't open the door to follow/attack him?

If your ally is behind a porticulus, and you need to pull a lever to open it so he can join the fight, you don't bother

An enemy drops a weapon at his feet (or maybe he dies and is holding an item you are looking for), you don't bother to pick it up?

You never grab the horses reins to control the wagon while you are in the middle of a fight?

You never drink a potion of cold resistance, THAT IS IN YOUR PACK, if you stumble apon a white dragon ... or a pack of winter wolves?

All of these things can be done without using an action if you have a free hand. Something like this is done about 50% of fights I am in and I would think it is similar in others.

That is the complaint. That is the disconnect. That +2 AC on the Monk is somehow considered more valuable and needing to be regulated compared to the Fighter getting anywhere between a +1 and a +6 depending on the number and rarity of items. Even though, with completely non-magical set-ups, the fighter has easier access and ultimately higher AC than the monk. The balance of the Magical Items is not right.
A fighter has easier access to a static AC then any class. That is balanced by the spells, abilities etc of other classes. What you are missing is BOD give Monks access to the equivalent AC of a fighter who is optimized for AC while still having all the other abilities that made them equivalent without those BOD,.

Also if AC is that big of a concern, if it is the only thing you are worried about, a Dwarven Monk can take a feat and wear half plate and shield if he wanted to. Further if you ignore action economy on interact with an object (like your table does) at level 3 said character can get "always on" AC which is 2 points better than a fighter (or 1 better than a fighter using defense). Further if you ignore the action economy for sheathing and drawing weapons he can still use every single Monk ability (or at least every one I can think of) except for unarmored movement.

Which, in raw AC numbers, it isn't. It is +2 AC, a shield is +2 AC. BoD means that you have a free hand, but also that you use an attunment slot and that you cannot wear any armor to gain the benefit. Shield means that you don't have a free hand, but it stacks with literally anything except BoD.
It does not stack with Monk unarmored defense or bladeson, also if your DM considers it "armor" it does not stack with mage armor, there is no sage advice ruling on the last that I know of. Shields are also not generally not compatible with the shield spell without warcaster feat, because of the somatic component (unless you modify the action economy as you have done).

For a person who can use armor and a shield, the shield is just flat better 90% of the time.
It gives you a higher AC probably more than 90% even (the 10% accounting for the exceptions noted above). That is a lot different than being "better" though.

Using your action to dodge will make you even harder to hit than a shield +2, it is usable by any character at all in any kind of armor as long as he can see his foe and it will stack with the sheild +2 to boot! Is taking dodge action every turn "flat better" than not taking it?

A +2 shield gives a +2 magical AC bonus, and does not require attunement, and can stack with any armor, even magical armor. BoD gives a +2 magical AC bonus, requires attunement and requires wearing no armor and not using a shield. These items are supposed to be equivalent, but they clearly are not.
BOD are more useful, in part because more characters (literally all characters) can use them and other than the attunement, there are no negatives to using them.

Yes, I know how the rules work. However, if there was a monk released that could use a shield without losing all that stuff, hypothetically, then the mundane shield is offering pretty much all of the benefits of BoD. That is the point. That is why I don't understand why this item requires attunement, it is only going to be used by one or two classes, and it's benefit doesn't reach beyond other similar items.
As noted above Monks can use shields and armor with a feat, and they don't lost the vast majority of their abilities. Doing this they can get a better AC than a fighter in plate and shield. If it is a big deal you can build your Monks to do this.

The way your table plays action economy the only thing this Monk would lose is unarmored movement.

I don't understand how you can't see that that is detrimental to the game.
Maybe I don't understand because I wasn't there, but as it is a world of make believe, I really don't get your point.

He doesn't get in the bathtub. Bathtubs aren't invented.
The Romans had baths. The modern bathtub wasn't invented, baths were absolutely used in the middle ages and long before.

When flavor gets in the way of fun, then there are problems.
Flavor is the fun in my games. Counting up all your bonuses isn't part of it.
Only clerics, druids, and paladins can use scrolls while using shields, to me knowledge, and no, we rarely ever use scrolls. We tend to get stuff that just isn't very useful in scroll form and save them for RP moments.
Any character can use scrolls. Characters can use spell scrolls if the spells appear on their spell list, which would include some fighters and other spell casting classes that have shield proficiency.

If you never use them though, that explains why having a hand free to use them is never a problem.

Lighting a torch should not be done in combat, and we rarely bother with torches.
Then why is there an example of it in the combat section of the PHB?

And, as for your other example, yeah, sometimes it sucks that you miss out on an attack. Happens. But, if that were the situation, that you killed a guy, and even if you used all your movement you couldn't reach melee with a second, then you have to consider the options. If you stay where you are at, can he reach you? If no, he can't pick up your weapon and attack you with it. If yes, then don't drop your weapon, in fact, fall back a little, see if you can't get him to overextend.
So give up an attack because you are carrying a shield.

One guy is running to raise the alarm, but a second is standing there?

No the seecond guy is fighting your party. There is nothing wrong with that. scenario

Lots wrong with that scenario. Even if you kill the first guy, why isn't the second running to raise the alarm? But, let us say you are right, throwing a javelin would kill one guy, but cause a second to run up to me, grab my own weapon and hit me with it. Great. Let's do that. Because the alarm being raised is worse, right?
If your weapon is on the ground, which it would be often RAW in most campaigns with people using a shield, then yes the enemy is going to pick it up. Especially if you are in a high magic game where your weapon is magic.

Jeremy Crawford even addressed this in an interview. He said during the interview that when he is playing with both his hands full he is constantly dropping weapons on the ground because of the action economy aspect of it. He joked about it and said something like "at the end of the battle there are weapons strewn all over the ground".

It is all about calculating what you want, and what is likely to happen. If dropping your weapon allows you to be more likely to reach your goal, that is what you do. This isn't that hard to wrap your mind around.
But not having a free hand limits your options, it limits the choices available to you. You can't choose to throw your javelin and not drop your weapon BECAUSE you are hodlding something in 2 hands. That choice is not on your list of options. That is what I am getting out. Yes you should make the best choice available to you, but if you have something in each hand at the start of a turn the choices you have are going to be fewer. In the case of a shield, this a built in and consistent opportunity cost to using it.

There is no such opportunity cost to using BOD.

You don't use potions in combat, you don't uise scrolls in combat, you don't do 20 of the 21 combat interactions mentioned in the players handbook. You don't throw weapons in combat. You are limiting your choices significantly already by choosing not to do these things.

If the difference is that small, why is it a problem to have BoD take no attunement?
The difference in AC is small, the difference overall considering all the Monks abilities is not.

I don't want to get even further into the weeds with all of this, but I will say that quite often the fact that people need to be in melee to deal damage makes limiting mobility a poor choice.
It does in situations. But that works both ways.

If they have flyby then they are making melee attacks and taking away your ability to make them effectively, yes you and your allies can ready action a melee attack but then you lose any extra attacks their reaction and unless you clump yourselves together, usually you can't all attack. Grab him and now all your melee allies can surround him and hack the crap out of him.

Further most enemies will try to engage casters and other characters who you do not want engaged. Grappling means they only engage the Rogue or the people the Rogue purposely puts them near. Grab the guy battering your sorcerer and move him away from your sorcerer. Now the sorcerer can cast a spell instead of taking disengage and the guy can no longer attack the sorcerer.

Finally the enemy needs to use his action (wasting an action) to break the grapple, while you can attack him while he is still grappeled and move him anywhere you want. This means inorder to move where he wants and attack who he wants he has to waste an action to try and break it. So from an action economy point of view it one "lost" attack by the Rogue in trade for an entire lost action by the adversary and until then the Rogue controls where the enemy is on the battlefield and who he can attack.

The rogue is not a character who is particularly good at being the focus of attention. You can, with uncanny dodge taking your reaction, but they were not designed for locking down enemies and forcing them to focus on you. I'm glad it works for you, but we take other approaches.
You can't lock down enemies without grappling them or using some other method of restraining them (like the sentinel feat). Without that most smart enemies are not going to be locked down. They will accept an AOO to attack who they want in combat unless you happen to be in a hallway or some other chokepoint to where they can't get around your melee fighters.

Martial classes are attractive because of the higher hitpoints, but after 5th level, with expertise the Rogue is generally better at grappling than they will be and like you mentioned UD reduces the damage. Also martials that are using shields or martials that use two handed weapons can't attack with their primary weapon while they are grappling because you need one hand to grapple, two-handers need to use a backup weapon and shield users need to make an unarmed attack with a head butt, bite or kick or something. The Rogue doesn't really get heavily effected by this, because they don't as a general rule use two handed weapons or shields. So there is less of a "damage cost" with a Rogue doing it.

What I want to try is a rolled stats Rogue with a 13 strength so I can try out the grappler feat. That sounds really awesome for a Rogue - a really high athletics with expertise and advantage (and therefore SA) on every attack against a grappled foe!

Last edited:

Lord Twig

Adventurer
I think it is fair to say that Bracers of Defense are slightly better than a shield if you can use one and are not wearing armor, and much better if you cannot use a shield or armor at all. But they are near worthless if you can wear armor as that will almost always be better. And, of course, the cost is much higher for the Bracers of Defense. In rarity and value, but also in the cost of an attunement slot.

As a side note, with the exception of a war cleric wielding a greatsword, every cleric I have ever played with has used a shield. And the issue of a free hand was never a problem as, after about 5th level, they never had a weapon in hand anyway. They usually had a weapon, but never used it as a spell was always better.

But really Bracers of Defense should be compared to magic armor. +1 armor is rare, +2 is very rare, +3 is legendary, and none of them require attunement. So why not make Bracers of Defense the same? Why not have Bracers of Defense that is +1 to +3 with increasing rarity? From rare to legendary and with no attunement cost. Then monks and other non-armor wearers could theoretically get the same bonus at approximately the same time as armor wearers. That's really what they should have done.

Going back to (almost) the very beginning of AD&D, Bracers of Defense came in a variety of levels that would set your AC to 8 (equal to leather) to 2 (equal to plate armor). AD&D 2nd edition was the same. D&D 3.x changed them to Bracers of Armor and gave an armor bonus of +2 to +8, again providing the same benefit of wearing armor from leather to plate. mumble mumble 4th/pathfinder...

And then D&D 5e came out and now it only comes in one flavor, +2, and it requires a resource that was never needed in the past, attunement.

auburn2

Adventurer
I think it is fair to say that Bracers of Defense are slightly better than a shield if you can use one and are not wearing armor, and much better if you cannot use a shield or armor at all. But they are near worthless if you can wear armor as that will almost always be better. And, of course, the cost is much higher for the Bracers of Defense. In rarity and value, but also in the cost of an attunement slot.

As a side note, with the exception of a war cleric wielding a greatsword, every cleric I have ever played with has used a shield. And the issue of a free hand was never a problem as, after about 5th level, they never had a weapon in hand anyway. They usually had a weapon, but never used it as a spell was always better.

But really Bracers of Defense should be compared to magic armor. +1 armor is rare, +2 is very rare, +3 is legendary, and none of them require attunement. So why not make Bracers of Defense the same? Why not have Bracers of Defense that is +1 to +3 with increasing rarity? From rare to legendary and with no attunement cost. Then monks and other non-armor wearers could theoretically get the same bonus at approximately the same time as armor wearers. That's really what they should have done.

Going back to (almost) the very beginning of AD&D, Bracers of Defense came in a variety of levels that would set your AC to 8 (equal to leather) to 2 (equal to plate armor). AD&D 2nd edition was the same. D&D 3.x changed them to Bracers of Armor and gave an armor bonus of +2 to +8, again providing the same benefit of wearing armor from leather to plate. mumble mumble 4th/pathfinder...

And then D&D 5e came out and now it only comes in one flavor, +2, and it requires a resource that was never needed in the past, attunement.
It is not unique to BOD. In fact I think every single item that gives a bonus to AC, and is not armor, requires attunement. Ring of protection, cloak of protection ..., every one I can think of does.

I think the intent is pretty clear - you will need to attune to a magic item to boost AC with it if it is not armor. Part of that is because of the nature of armor. A character with 5 suits of magic plate can only get the bonus from one of them. someone with 3 magic shields can only get the bonus from one of them. Without attunement you could stack rings cloaks and bracers until you had a 30AC.

Note a weapon +3 does not require attunement, but a defender, which is also +3 does. Why? because of the AC bonus.

On thinking more about this, I believe it would be more logical to argue magic armor and shileds should require attunement instead of arguing that the other items should not.

Last edited:

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I think that people are getting stuck in a pointless argument about the BoD that distracts from the real problem of magic item availability between, wotc designing everything as if no magic items will ever be present, & then that design capping the whole thing off by assuming a given bonus will be equally effective no matter who is using it or how many attacks they get to trigger it on each round.

It's exactly just "something"
1618698306325.png

It's literally a situation where everyone else got a magic item that in some cases multiplies each round with extra attack & the monk got a downgrade from a magic shield to one with zero mechanical effect on anything but very weak fluff. That something is an issue deliberately created by wotc & bragged about as if it were a good thing. When Wotc says "magic items are optional" so that 5e would have maximum compatibility with Cubicle 7's adventures in middle earth game where I believe magic items are pretty much not a thing they did so at the expense of 5e itself. Wotc designs everything pegged to a bar set with the faulty assumption that rogues & fighters will not have magic items. That faulty assumption results in classes that are less magic item dependent or even less capable of using them having no way to bridge the gap created by giving magic items to classes like fighter/rogue/paladin. Even worse is that in the name of simplification they cut off avenues for the GM to provide those other classes magic items that do so. Take this 3.5 monk guide where a bunch of magic items are listed
  • Ki FocusPHB (+1): This would be great if it also allowed the weapon to use your unarmed strike damage, but as written it's not very useful.
  • Scorpion KamaMIC: A +1 kama which uses your unarmed strike damage. You can use a cheaper mundane or magical kama for special attacks, or you can use your unarmed strikes to hit things, and you can magically enhance your hands, so this doesn't really offer anything useful except the ability to attach weapon crystals.

Rings​

• CounterspellsDMG: Not an especially exciting option, the Ring of Counterspells is frequently overlooked. Monks can get a lot from permanent spells, but the problem with permanent spells is that if they are dispelled they're gone forever and you lose all of that gold you spent. Enter the ring of counterspells, which you can fill with three spells. I recommend Dispel Magic, Greater Dispel Nagic, and either a second greater dispel magic or Reaving Dispel depending on your level. Suddenly you're protected against your biggest counter.
  • FangedDM: Improved Natural Weapon (Unarmed Strike) on a ring. See the Feats section, above. It's interesting to note that sincer unarmed strikes technically aren't a natural weapon, Improved Natural Weapon (Unarmed Strike) should be an invalid feat. However, this ring seems to indicate that it's allowed.
  • Force ShieldDMG: The description specifies that the shield effect is encumbrance-free, so your DM may allow you to use this without interrupting your Monk AC bonus. If that's the case, this can be a helpful way to get some more AC once your cheaper options have been enhanced quite a bit.
  • Adamantine TouchMIC: If you give up Ki Strike (Adamantine) this is a cheap way to replace it.
  • ProtectionDMG: With such poor AC, Monks need all of the help they can get.

Wands​

• Mage ArmorPHB: With no ability to wear armor, a wand of Mage Armor is a fantastically economical option. I don't recommend the eternal version because 2 hours may not be enough to get you through a day, but 50 charges should last long enough for you to upgrade to Greater Mage Armor.
  • Mage Armor, GreaterPHB: As a third level spell, the minimum caster level is 5 so you get 5 hours per charge. Get an eternal wand and you're covered for 10 hours a day for just over 10,000gp. That's somewhere between the cost of +3 and +4 armor or bracers of armor, and you're getting +6 instead.
  • Magic FangPHB: 750gp gets you 50 hours of +1 hands, which may be enough to get you by until you can afford to permanently enhance your hands. Of course, you still need a caster who can use it, but Magic Fang is on nearly every full caster's spell list.

Wondrous Items​

• Amulet of Natural ArmorMIC: The AC boost is great, but Periapt of Wisdom does more for the Monk.
  • Amulet of Mighty FistsMIC: This is a trap. See Greater Magic Fang under Permanent Spells, below. For less than the price of a +2 amulet you can make your hands permanently +5.
  • Armbands of MightMIC: Fantastic if you want to use Power Attack and/or special attacks like Trip.
  • Belt of BattleMIC: A fantastic way to get some extra actions. Use on charge to get a move action, then move into place to make a Flurry of Blows.
  • Belt of StrengthMIC: The bonus to hit and damage are crucial.
  • Bracers of ArmorDMG: A trap for people who don't like wands. A wand of mage armor will do much better for much less gold.
  • Cloak of ResistanceDMG: Vest of Resistance is identical and takes up a much less useful slot.
  • Gauntlets of StrengthDMG: Great for the Strength bonus, but it's usually better to get a belt so that you can get Gloves of Dexterity.
  • Gloves of DexterityDMG: Great for your AC, and the boost to Reflex saves is always nice with Evasion.
  • Monk's BeltMIC: Tempting, but the effects total to +1 to AC and a tiny bit of unarmed strike damage. Leave this for Clerics and Druids.
  • Necklace of Natural WeaponsSS: Throw some elemental enhancements on this. You don't need to make it +1 before applying enhancements, so you can use permanent greater Magic Fang to get +5 hands, and add caustic/flaming/shocking to the amulet for piles of energy damage.
  • Periapt of WisdomDMG: Essential for many Monk abilities, including the AC bonus. However, the Necklace of Natural Weapons is probably a better choice. Ask your DM if he'll let you move this to your head slot.
  • Rags of Restraint of WisdomMIC: A very cheap healing mechanic exclusive to Monks and Ninjas, but wands of Lesser Vigor are very cheap, and someone in your party should know how to use one.
  • Rapidstrike BracersMIC: +2 to your attacks with Flurry of Blows, but only 3/day.
  • Vest of ResistanceMIC: Same cost as a cloak, and takes up the largely useless "torso" slot.
Those slots were important for balancing things like these & even moreso so were flat +N attribute bonus items.

auburn2

Adventurer
It's exactly just "something"
View attachment 135715
It's literally a situation where everyone else got a magic item that in some cases multiplies each round with extra attack & the monk got a downgrade from a magic shield to one with zero mechanical effect on anything but very weak fluff.
Seems pretty cool to me ... a heck of a lot cooler than a +1 shield. The biggest negative about it is that it is a shield. If it was a hat that did that it would be dope.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Seems pretty cool to me ... a heck of a lot cooler than a +1 shield. The biggest negative about it is that it is a shield. If it was a hat that did that it would be dope.
clearly you forgot what @Chaosmancer said happened to the rest of the group so I'll repeat it "(We had a game once where we had saved a celestial realm, and the magic angel dwarves brought us to their forge to give us items. DM rolled. One player got an Oathbow, one player got a Vorpal Sword, one player got a Defender.... I got a shield of Expression. A common magical item that was worse than the magical shield I was already using.)". Those are massively powerful magic items & now that they are linked up on ddb there shouldn't be any excuse for not knowing what they are. A shield of expression might be "dope" at level 1 or so but not at the level where +4 items are being tossed out to players. 5e sets up a situation that's even worse because that probably is not the first time the monk in that party got shafted by lack of anything usable in a system that cuts off routes the gm could use to fix things.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases