D&D General Compelling and Differentiated Gameplay For Spellcasters and Martial Classes

But REAL fighters arent in a gap. They are like the rogue or the knight. A person with tendancies that chose to bring some of them to their pinnacle. This is true mythologically too actually.

Btw can i post a link to dndtools to show how awesome the crusader from 3.5 is or is that not allowed?

Also, maybe nothing SHOULD fill the "gap". Nothing does on the other side of the spectrum in the way the fighter does. No magic user does.
The old Dragon Warriors game had Knight and Barbarian as your two fighter options. All pretty cool - but what about the wandering sellsword?

What about if I want to play a warrior from the cold frozen barbaric north but want to play a calm laid back guy and don't fancy being a guy who flips out all the time?

I sympathise - but the mundane guy who just fights and you flavour how you wish is hard to avoid. It's very engrained.

Last edited:

The old Dragon Warriors game had Knight and Barbarian as your two fighter options. All pretty cool - but what about the wandering sellsword?

What about if I want to play a warrior from the cold frozen barbaric north but want to play a calm laid back guy and don't fancy being a guy who flips out all the time?

I sympathise - but the mundane guy who just fights and you flavour how you wish is hard to avoid. It's very ingrained.
I dont really see how any of this is not possible without having a class that just "does all the things"

No one does that. And if they did they would end up being a non magical pun pun.

Hulk is a low int infinitely variably numerically leveled fighter btw. Use this as a measuring stick (even though its not a classic mythological figure) for "would never be allowed due to scale." That way unuseable scale is also taken into account.

Find a classic mythological or real world pun pun like strictly physical fighter that "does all the things" (its an internet slang) and isnt broken. Or even one that is broken. This is what i mean.
Why do you keep saying "Does all the things"? I didn't say that I and I don't understand what that is supposed to mean.

Hulk is a low int infinitely variably numerically leveled fighter btw. Use this as a measuring stick (even though its not a classic mythological figure) for "would never be allowed due to scale." That way unuseable scale is also taken into account.
Sorry. Can't parse this at all either.

Why do you keep saying "Does all the things"? I didn't say that I and I don't understand what that is supposed to mean.

Sorry. Can't parse this at all either.
It has to do with the gap you mentioned. I thought you meant someone who just broadly has capability in any given basic area of physical non magical fighting of a martial nature.

As to the second thing, im saying hulk (the comic book character) would be an invalid example of what the fighter is meant to be due to scale. As opposed to broadness which is what "can do all the things" is relevant to ie someone who can fill all the gaps and do what is generally considered melee of a non magical nature not covered directly by the other core non magic atracking melee classes.

What I meant is that Fighter basically exists as a failsafe for a warrior character concept that doesn't fit naturally into a more specific niche.

Not that a single character should be able to do everything.

What I meant is that Fighter basically exists as a failsafe for a warrior character concept that doesn't fit naturally into a more specific niche.

Not that a single character should be able to do everything.
I see. I misunderstood u.

But so far you havent said anything that cant be done without that specific class from what i can tell.

And so far as i can tell i cant think of a warrior that cant be done outside the fighter concept either. Even if i could i honestly just think it would make more sense to have abother warrior class added. The vagueness of fighter is excessive and thats probably largely central to the issues with it.

That said, even without just replacing it with a lot of more defined classes the fighter still probably could be improved.

Would be easier to just break it down into a spectrum of "fighters" (which is basically already half way done) like was done for "magic user", which was a class in the past.

Well no - but I bet if you were to put up a list of a group of specific classes It wouldn't be too hard to come up with one that doesn't fit very well.

I'll grant that isn't a great place to leave the Fighter.

It's easier if you have a specific setting for a game.

If it was Dark Sun I could be pretty confident that if I had three classes: Soldier, Gladiator and Nomad Warrior (and two of these are very broad concepts) I'd be covering pretty much everything that wouldn't actually require something more highly specific and tailored to represent it. But that's because it's a specific setting and I know what's there and not there.

But that's part of the issue as well - the limitations are part of what makes a setting - when you don't really have one - or it's trying to be all things to all people...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases