• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Complete Basic Game

Mercule

Adventurer
So, I read a blog post, this morning that made a good point. I won't link because it was more than a little confrontational and the URL and title violate language rules, here.

Taking out the venom, the point was this: The Basic rules were promoted s everything you need to play, but they really aren't, at this point. There's no guide for awarding XP, no monsters, and no magic treasure.

I don't expect Wizards to give us everything for free, but the Basic rules really aren't a complete game. Maybe they plan to add bits as they approach release of the Monster Manual and DMG. That still doesn't allow me to play even a stripped down version of the game, this summer.

My only option is to pick up the Starter Set, which is probably redundant with the final rules. The Basic rules gives me what I would need to evaluate the game and pretty much sold me on the quality of the rules, so I'd rather not buy $20 of rules twice -- I'll just wait for the hard cover books.

The Starter rules also give me enough information that I could play in a game. Without someone having the DM rules rules, though, they're isn't a game in which to play. As a DM, I don't mind spending more money than the players; I actually expect it. Even if I bought the Starter Set and used it, that puts the lie to the claim that the Basic Rules are a full, if simplified, game.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

ccooke

Adventurer
So, I read a blog post, this morning that made a good point. I won't link because it was more than a little confrontational and the URL and title violate language rules, here.

Taking out the venom, the point was this: The Basic rules were promoted s everything you need to play, but they really aren't, at this point. There's no guide for awarding XP, no monsters, and no magic treasure.

I don't expect Wizards to give us everything for free, but the Basic rules really aren't a complete game. Maybe they plan to add bits as they approach release of the Monster Manual and DMG. That still doesn't allow me to play even a stripped down version of the game, this summer.

My only option is to pick up the Starter Set, which is probably redundant with the final rules. The Basic rules gives me what I would need to evaluate the game and pretty much sold me on the quality of the rules, so I'd rather not buy $20 of rules twice -- I'll just wait for the hard cover books.

The Starter rules also give me enough information that I could play in a game. Without someone having the DM rules rules, though, they're isn't a game in which to play. As a DM, I don't mind spending more money than the players; I actually expect it. Even if I bought the Starter Set and used it, that puts the lie to the claim that the Basic Rules are a full, if simplified, game.

Thoughts?

They said that the Basic PDF will grow into a complete game, as they release more content. However, the rest of the game is still being worked on. They've never said that the Basic Rules that we have right this minute are complete.

Expect to get some minimal how-to-run-a-game advice when the PHB is out, monsters when the MM is out and full DM advice when the DMG is out. IIRC, they expect the Basic Rules to be at 1.0 (with all the currently expected content) by the end of this year.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
You should ask for a refund... :p

But seriously, what [MENTION=6695890]ccooke[/MENTION] said.

P.S.
The thread is tagged 13th Age.

Last edited:

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Maybe they plan to add bits as they approach release of the Monster Manual and DMG.

It's not a maybe. They've said that as those books come out they'll add those aspects of the Basic game to the PDF.

That still doesn't allow me to play even a stripped down version of the game, this summer.

That's arguable. While it's true you don't have any monsters, there are some out there thanks to the free downloads of things like Murder in Baldur's Gate and Legacy of the Crystal Shard, to say nothing of Necromancer Games' free 5E OGL adventure The Wizard's Amulet. Likewise, you can always build NPC antagonists.

Magic items can presumably be ignored (or at least kept to very low-powered items from earlier editions, which shouldn't make that much of an overall difference). Which leaves only XP as an issue...which I'd recommend hand-waving. Something along the lines of "okay, this is our fourth session, we'll say that you're second level now."

I agree with you that the Basic game, as it is right now, is incomplete. But it's not impossible to work around the missing areas.

Abstruse

Legend
And not just confirmed, but with a date. Around August 19 when the Player's Handbook is released, they're adding monsters, magic items, and DMing guidelines to Basic. There's a chance they'll come earlier than that since Gen Con's the preceeding weekend.

Agamon

Adventurer
Expect to get some minimal how-to-run-a-game advice when the PHB is out, monsters when the MM is out and full DM advice when the DMG is out. IIRC, they expect the Basic Rules to be at 1.0 (with all the currently expected content) by the end of this year.

In fact, Mike has said recently that the rest of the info will be in Basic once the PHB comes out.

Mercule

Adventurer
In fact, Mike has said recently that the rest of the info will be in Basic once the PHB comes out.

That's cool. Much better, then.

I'm still a bit frustrated, as I have more time over the summer to game. If I don't have something going by mid- to late August, it probably won't have the momentum to continue. I guess that's a good argument to shell out some cash on the Starter Set, though.

Pog

First Post
Thought this thread was going to be about a free 13th age basic edition released as a competition to dnd next, lol. Stupid tags :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads