Conan 2009 Teaser Poster

TwinBahamut

First Post
Wow, I didn't know about this one.

What is up with the major Conan resurgence lately? First we see, for the first time, a high-budget action videogame adaptation of Conan, based on the original novels rahter than another adaptation, being released only a bit over a week ago, and now they are working on a new movie? Interesting.

horacethegrey

First Post
Klaus said:
The word on the street is that Conan will be restarted, closer to the REH original, as opposed to John Milius' and Ahnold's version.
Well I'm up for it. If they can make this film just as thrilling as Robert E. Howard's stories, it will be glorious indeed.

But still, the original Conan film is still a favorite of mine. Mainly for that fabulous Basil Polederous score and the fantastic set design. If they do not use that soundtrack for this film, I will not be happy. :mad:

shilsen

Adventurer
Klaus said:
The word on the street is that Conan will be restarted, closer to the REH original, as opposed to John Milius' and Ahnold's version.
So he'll be killing big monkeys? It seems like Conan fights a giant ape in one out of every three Howard stories or so.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Plane Sailing said:
Don't forget the magnetic pillar which gripped peoples armour and they then got dissolved by the ooze creature that climbed down the pillar in "The curse of the monolith" (although I don't remember whether or not that was an REH original)

That's not REH, but Lin Carter and Sprague de Camp

Klaus said:
Indeed.

And he fought what is pretty much an Iron Golem in the Iron Demon (backtranslating from the Portuguese title).

And the two frost giants in The Daughter of the Frost Giant (once again, backtranslating). And he was 16 back then!

Yeah, but neither Iron Golems nor Frost Giants are "Lovecraftian".

MoogleEmpMog said:
He killed/incapacitated a creature that could have been the inspiration for both D&D slaadi and hentai tentacle demons in Howard's 'Xuthal of the Dusk.'

D'oh! Forgot that story. Yeah, that is pretty Lovecratian. But still, compared to the number of ape stories, it's pretty low.

Last edited:

Klaus

First Post
trancejeremy said:
That's not REH, but Lin Carter and Sprague de Camp

Yeah, but neither Iron Golems nor Frost Giants are "Lovecraftian".

D'oh! Forgot that story. Yeah, that is pretty Lovecratian. But still, compared to the number of ape stories, it's pretty low.
Yeah, sure, but they do count as "monstrous". In the first movie, Ahnold had to contend with giant snakes, at most.

Remove ads