Conan 2009 Teaser Poster

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
I just saw my first Conan movie last night, Conan the Destroyer. It wasn't bad, but it could have been better. I hope to watch Conan the Barbarian before the remake comes out.

Klaus

First Post
Frukathka said:
I just saw my first Conan movie last night, Conan the Destroyer. It wasn't bad, but it could have been better. I hope to watch Conan the Barbarian before the remake comes out.
Conan the Destroyer was pretty bad. Although it did hit on notes closer to REH's stories, the character of Conan wasn't anywhere near REH's cimmerian.

CtB is much better.

nikolai

First Post
I know they're trying to do back to REH and move away from the Ahnold films, but that poster looks like it could be straight out the Milius film.

While technically they shared the same universe, did Conan ever fight anything really supernatural or even creepy? Basically a naga is about as spooky as it got. (God in the Bowl). The only time he met a really Lovecraftian style thingie, he was nice to it (Tower of the Elephant).

There's loads of Lovecraftian stuff in Conan. It's not just 'technically' there, the wizards are all very Lovecraftian and there are loads of mythos style creatures all in the forefont. You're right Conan doesn't fight much of it - because being Lovecraftian they can't really be killed with a sword (the exception is with the demon and enchanted sword in the Phoenix on the Sword). But Lovecraftian monsters are there all the time. He just doesn't go head to head with them.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
HeavenShallBurn said:
Just saw an ad trailer for Conan Red Nails on TV yesterday. If it were defunct I don't think they'd still be spending on commercials.

Good to hear it's not dead; usually when I see a site not have any significant updates for a year or more, I think of it as dead. The ad, it was an actual trailer for the film or just a 'name - coming soon' thing? Unusual that it wouldn't be up on their site.

Kida

Banned
Banned
HeavenShallBurn said:
Just saw an ad trailer for Conan Red Nails on TV yesterday. If it were defunct I don't think they'd still be spending on commercials.
Is this part of the Conan movie anthology so far? If so, how do they explain Valeria?

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Kida said:
Is this part of the Conan movie anthology so far? If so, how do they explain Valeria?

No, it's not. It's an animated version of the story and not part of the seperate continuity that was created by the movies.

Kida

Banned
Banned
WayneLigon said:
No, it's not. It's an animated version of the story and not part of the seperate continuity that was created by the movies.
Oh. Well thank you for the info. :)

AFGNCAAP

First Post
Well, I think the Jody Samson-designed Atlantean Sword has pretty much become the "iconic" sword of Conan, thanks to the Ahnold movies.

Then again, I don't have a problem with that, since I really liked that sword design (as well as the design of Conan's father's sword).

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Klaus said:
CtB is much better.

I don't know - I prefer Conan as the son of a blacksmith who is captured by "vikings" while raiding them and who escapes into the wilderness by breaking free from his captors, braining them with chains.

The CtB version has him being captured as a child, strapped to pushing a big wheel with other children for his entire adolescence, has him put into training as a pit fighter, and eventually he doesn't escape, he is forced out of the pit fighting business (by a trainer who had pity on him or something?)

Forgive any details incorrect in that, but Whuuu? Where was the heroic Conan I read about in the books? The Ahnold /Milius version was insipid with a weak character.

Don't even get me talking about the crucifixion scene, whichever film that was in. Wrong! Wrong! Wrong!

Ahh! I've got to go and lie down now :)

Cheers

BadMojo

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
Don't even get me talking about the crucifixion scene, whichever film that was in. Wrong! Wrong! Wrong!

Ahh! I've got to go and lie down now :)

Cheers

There was a crucifixion bit in one of the REH stories (can't remember which one right now). There was some sort of revolt in a city where Conan was captain of the guards. They strung him up outside of town and he was found by a wandering group of mercenaries. They basically cut him down and said he could live if he could get back to the town without collapsing.

I guess the main difference is that, unlike the movies, Conan was just too bad ass to die.

Remove ads