• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Conan 2009 Teaser Poster

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Plane Sailing said:
The REH Conan *is* too bad-ass to die. A vulture comes down and he kills it with his teeth, and he doesn't actually die before he is rescued.

Hmm? In the Arnold film, a vulture comes down and he kills it with his teeth, and he doesn't actually die before he is rescued.

He's laughing as Subotai comes over the hill!

-Hyp.

Klaus

First Post
Dragon Slayer: While I agree with you, I can recall at least one REH sotry where Conan is so drunk that he bumps his head into a doorway trying to escape the city watch, falls unconscious and is arrested.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Hypersmurf said:
Hmm? In the Arnold film, a vulture comes down and he kills it with his teeth, and he doesn't actually die before he is rescued.

-Hyp.

Did it happen that way? Didn't they have to do some hokey resurrection scene?

I was so disgusted with the film by that time I probably wasn't paying too much attention though.

Dragon-Slayer

First Post
Klaus said:
Dragon Slayer: While I agree with you, I can recall at least one REH sotry where Conan is so drunk that he bumps his head into a doorway trying to escape the city watch, falls unconscious and is arrested.

While this happens in a story, it doesn't mean he is dumb, just that he was awkward when he was drunk. Happens to a lot of us ;) .

JDragon

Explorer
Plane Sailing said:

I was so disgusted with the film by that time I probably wasn't paying too much attention though.

It went something like this....

He gets crucified, hangs out for a while, vultures show up, he looks like he is dead, vulture lands on his shoulder, he grabs it with hs mouth and kills it, some time later Subotai shows up, Conan is laughing as he comes over the hill, (i think Conan thinks he seening things at this point) then they show the guy doing the resurect / bring him back from the brink as the spirts try to take him.

This is when the lady (can't remember her name) gets warned the spirts demand a high price or something like that.

JD

Someone

Adventurer
Hypersmurf said:

-Hyp.

And goes better: what the Governator bites is actual vulture carrion, not some cheap vulture doll or something. It's a 100% real, ex-flying, dead meat eater's corpse.

Someone

Adventurer
Plane Sailing said:

The rtual wasn't for resurrecting him, but to impede the spirits to carry Conan's to the afterlife, IIRC.

Anyway, my first contact with Conan was precisely the Millius film, which I still like a lot. Comics and books came later, I wasn't impressed with them: Conan was too wordy and not killy enough.

I've read Conan, and it was okay. I saw Conan the Barbarian, and it was awesome. The soundtrack is amazing, and the story is arid and beautiful.

I don't care if it's the same as Robert E. Howard's Conan. The Arnold-Milius version was still entertaining, and the music is great when you're running a heroic fantasy battle.

jester47

First Post
Emirikol said:
I think you folks are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too picky. We're danged lucky to have ANYTHING at all. We're danged lucky to have the less-than-perfect Milius Conan. We're danged lucky to have those movies, that helped inspire more people to play this D&D game. ..I don't consider us lucky to have the TV show, I'll give that...but the rest! Danged lucky.

REH was a crazy nut with an idea that never got fully fleshed out. He didn't produce enough Conan to "give a feel" for 'what is conan' before he levelled the ender to his crainium. If he'd have written that stuff nowadays, people would laugh at the brevity of it. It took bad pastiche writers, ARTISTS, and fans to finish what we all "feel" is Conan and Hyboria world.

This "perfect" conan version that everyone seems to have is a black-lotus dream. I'd claim that Frazetta made more out of Conan than REH himself!

Maybe they'll do like Batman redux, that might be neat ;) Still, who wants to see Tower of the Elephant redone for the 55th time. The story isn't that great! :)

jh

I beg to differ. As REH wrote him Conan is a very distinct character. The idea was fully fleshed out. We have over a thousand pages of Conan. The pastiche writers turned the character 180 degrees from what Conan was.

To correct some stuff: Titles are: The Devil in Iron and the Frost Giant's Daughter. Conan is not 16 in the Frost Giants Daughter, he is simply a youthful cimmerian warrior. The Dale Rippke aka the Darkstorm Chronology used by Darkhorse is the better chronology and is more heavily researched.

The Thing in the Crypt was not a Howard story. Neither was Curse of the Monolith.

The creature from the God in the Bowl does not resemble a Naga but a crafty giant snake. Its a murder mystery inspired by "Murders in the Rue Morge" in that no one human is killing anyone but rather an animal no one suspects. Conan of course is the detective.

The crucifiction scene in the movie comes alomost exactly from "A Witch Shall Be Born" except in the movie he is on a tree, not a cross.

While not exquisitly detailed, the hyborian world is quite fleshed out.

But I am a howardian Purist.

Conan the Barbarian was the best Fafhrd and Grey Mouser film ever made.

Last edited:

Remove ads