D&D 5E Content Warning Labels? Yeah or Nay?

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
Cop out? Really?
I am merely agreeing with you. My stance was always all or nothing. Looks like "all" won out.
If you truly believe there are that many people in the world that need protection from books, well, contact WOTC and begin the process.

I do have one question for you. If WOTC resists your efforts to force them to put trigger warnings on their products, are you prepared to stop playing D&D as part of the boycott to force WOTC's hand?
Still really waiting for that explanation why being considerate is bad.

Dire Bare

Legend
I do have one question for you. If WOTC resists your efforts to force them to put trigger warnings on their products, are you prepared to stop playing D&D as part of the boycott to force WOTC's hand?
Who's talking about forcing WotC to put trigger warnings on their products? Not anyone in this thread.

I'm now 100% convinced you're trolling. Good show, Sir Troll, you have successfully riled this thread.

Vaalingrade

Legend
My stance was always all or nothing.
There's your problem.

Even giving benefit of the doubt that this isn't performative hyperbole, as I said before, you can't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. IF you can do some good by not blindsiding people with this kind of thing, just do it instead of worrying over whether or not you're going to cover all bases.

Regardless of the final form this warning takes, Sarcosanct is still being a good person for giving some consideration to this issue instead of just tossing it aside because it requires a little thought and effort for other people's sake.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Mod Note:

Please stop making this personal. Address the content and logic of the position, not the person of the writer. As soon as you make this about the writer, it ceases to be about the actual merits of the proposition, and instead becomes about local social dynamics and egos, which isn't constructive.

MGibster

Legend
While I have mixed feelings about content warnings, depending on how they're used, I do appreciate that more players and game creators are demonstrating a keen interest in making sure everyone at the table is comfortable with what's going on in the game. Overall I think this is a good thing.

I'm not European or Scandinavian, but I'm going out on a limb and assuming @Yaarel is Scandinavian. If you're American like me . . . you wouldn't necessarily distinguish between the broad term European and the more specific term Scandinavian. But, it looks like some folks do.

How would most Scandinavians view this? Would most find being lumped in with other Europeans distasteful? I don't know, but it's worth listening to others to start finding out.
I am not American. I'm a Finn. Is Finland part of Scandinavia? That was a trick question. Technically it isn't as it isn't on Scandinavian Peninsula*, but Nordics and Scandinavia are often used interchangeably, especially in English.

*And neither is Iceland, which is the birthplace of the Eddas.

No, it really doesn't.
It bizarrely sets one area of the whole apart for no sensible reason, creating an implication that it somehow doesn't belong.

And I can dig that. I don't imagine a Mexican wants people lumping their culture in with that of the United States. I think it might be common for Americans to lump all Europeans together for a variety of reasons, but partially because we're a nation of immigrants. I'll pretty much draw on any European legends, history, folklore, etc., etc. for game inspiration without a second thought but I can see how that might be frustrating to some people.

If someone would write a book about "North American and Mexican geography" it would make it seem Mexico is somehow not part of North America.

Last edited:

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Speaking personally... since this is a book that is presenting creatures of myth and folklore, I'd actually prefer to see what were the exact areas/cultures the creatures came from. So distinguishing each of them as Nordic, Hellenic, Germanic, Gaelic or whatever it was would be to me a really cool thing. We already know a lot of mythical creatures generically from the actual Monster Manual, but to actually learn specifically where a lot of these kinds of creatures come from would be cool in my opinion.

Who's talking about forcing WotC to put trigger warnings on their products? Not anyone in this thread.

I'm now 100% convinced you're trolling. Good show, Sir Troll, you have successfully riled this thread.
I am NOT trolling.

Those that are supporting trigger warnings in this piece of Homebrew material MUST recognize that WOTC canon material is riddled with material that can trigger people in the same manner.

I really want to know. How can someone, anyone at all, support trigger warnings on this Homebrew publication but NOT want the same warnings applied to WOTC published material. Why are not those people organizing some movement to have WOTC either apply the same warnings to their material or sanitize the material.

This is no different than saying "Wow, that guy scratch built a fantastic sports car that looks and operates like a Shelby Cobra. But he has to add safety belts. But of course, we don't expect Ford to make its Shelbies or any other sports car with safety belts."

HammerMan

Legend
My little vignette there does indeed have violence.
But what about other things in there?
Paralysis.
Being trapped in the dark.

These are very very common effects in the game. Are writers, DM's, whoever, REALLY supposed to act like psychologists and analyze every potential creature/situation/effect before presenting it in a book or a game? I can state with confidence that within the "intended audience" of the D&D community that Hypnotic Pattern or Hold Person or Darkness will indeed trigger someone. Are we to remove these things from the game? Perhaps the members of the audience should use some common sense and think, "I know D&D is a pretty violent game, with all kinds of weird stuff happening in it. Maybe it is not the game for me."
again your example (as I showed above) is far from the cartoon like combat of D&D at least for the last 20 years (I seem to remember 2e fighters getting hit by hammers bigger then they are by giants multi times and coming out fine too but I am old my memory may be fuzzy)

Remove ads