Conventions -- Why do you go?

D'nemy

First Post
I've been going to several conventions as of late, and after each one, I'm left a bit flummoxed and would like a little insight.

So, I've got a question... For those of you who go to conventions, why do you go?

Clueless

Webmonkey
Socialization! I get to meet up with friends, sometimes meet new friends. I budget heavily for eating out with folks and a few drinks because well - I like to talk. :) Sometimes my friends even like to listen.

Depending on the convention I can learn new things: belly dancing and karate on GenCon's spa track, tips on drawing and writing on other tracks, also tips on how to improvise mid-game or other ways to run. I tend to go to Gamedays for gaming simply because there's a little less pressure there, but I can usually wriggle into a good game or two at a con as well.

To game. I don't have a regular gig right now, so the Cons and gamedays are how I get my gaming fix. Plus, I get to play a lot of systems I wouldn't otherwise. Also, to socialize with the good folks I've met before, and to meet new ones.

Sounds like you're not enjoying yourself -- have a run of bad games?

NiTessine

Explorer
Because when the biggest gaming convention in the Northern Europe is fifteen minutes' drive away and your friends are converging upon it from three different countries, you don't have the option to skip.

Also, I get to run games. Play games. Buy games I never would have bought otherwise. Raid the bargain bins in the dealers' room. Meet aforementioned friends. Make new ones.

This year, I might also be manning the stand of my scifi club, and try to sell my new book on roleplaying games. Really, no option to skip.

And really, if you haven't played Call of Cthulhu in a non-Euclidean convention centre, with the Great Old One himself lounging around in the next room at least once, you haven't lived.

Crothian

First Post
I meet up with friends I don't see often. I get to talk to people in the industry. I get to try out games I would not be able to play normally. And I get some pretty kick ass deals in the dealer room. :D

Steel_Wind

Legend
A chance to do some face to face business; dealer room and new products in the industry, seminars, socializing, and a chance to do some gaming I don't get much of a chance to do at home, namely, boardgaming.

I don't go to cons for RPGs. The type of one shot RPG play you find at cons is not to my tastes.

Henry

Autoexreginated
I went to several conventions in the early 90's, and the first couple of times, I had fun just taking in all the demos and eye candy. However, I had planned to stop going after that, not understanding the draw. When the internet hit the big time in the late 90's however, the entire dynamic changed, and I started meeting people I was socializing with daily, and realizing what an awesome group of people most gamers could be.

Fast forward to the days of ENWorld, and the social aspect is multiplied one hundred fold. :) Now, there's a regular gameday I go to pretty much three times a year in North Carolina mainly to reconect with a bunch of friends and acquaintences that I never had prior to ENWorld. I go to Gencon to literally chat up as many people as I can squeeze into four or five days, from the lurking guests who never sign in, to Gary Gygax and other game designers. In fact, one of the reasons I am going this year is because it may be the last Gencon I get to go to for a while, and may be the last chance to meet up with some of my personal heroes and favorite people.

Keith Robinson

Explorer
For the games, the competition, a chance to meet up with folks who I'm acquainted with over the internet. And for the fun, of course! Oh, and maybe to do a bit of shopping too :cool:

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
I only go to one convention a year: GenCon. I go because I love the EnWorld community and try to devote as much of my time to hnging out/gaming with these awesome people. Its like going to a family reunion. ;)

Psion

Adventurer
1) Hanging with good friends I otherwise don't get to see/hang with/play with much
2) To play and experience games I don't normally get to play.

Remove ads