Converting Monsters from D&D Official Video Games

Cleon

Legend
I think she's good to go!

Let me just check the entry...

It looks good to go apart from three minor quibbles.

There's an "X/day" in the Spider Growth description which should be a number - if my memory serves me right we'd decided on 3/day.

The "always" in the combat tactics "Spider queens are always accompanied by monstrous spiders of various sizes" is at odds with the Organization entry, which lists Solitary as an option. Perhaps change it to "Spider queens are usually accompanied by monstrous spiders of various sizes"?

Its Spider Empathy special quality has no description in the Combat entry.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Vilstrak, Great
AC: 2; HD: 3; Mv: 9; Int: Low; Size: L; Align: N;
THACO: 16; Att: 2; Dmg: 1d4+1;
Spec Attack: Suprise; Spec Def: None; EXP: 14

Greater vilstraks are giant vilstraks, also called "marl muggers" or "tunnel thugs." A vilstrak's stony surface provides it with both excellent protection and the uncanny ability to physically merge with earth or stone.

Originally appeared in Treasures of the Savage Frontier Adventure Journal (1992).

Compared to the standard Vilstrak, these are essentially just one size category larger and have 3 HD.

Here's the Tome of Horrors conversion of the standard vilstrak...

VILSTRAK (TUNNEL THUG)
Medium Aberration
Hit Dice: 1d8+1 (5 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 18 (+8 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 18
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/+2
Attack: Slam +2 melee (1d4+2)
Full Attack: 2 slams +2 melee (1d4+2)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: —
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., merge with earth
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +0, Will +2
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 11, Con 12, Int 6, Wis 10, Cha 8
Skills: Hide +2*, Listen +3, Spot +3
Feats: Alertness
Environment: Underground
Organization: Gang (2-5) or band (6-20)
Challenge Rating: 1/2
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually neutral (evil tendencies)
Advancement: 2-3 HD (Medium)
Level Adjustment: —

This creature is a bipedal man-sized semi-humanoid seemingly carved of stone. It has an insect-like head, long, large arms, and thick, trunk-like legs that end in hoof-like feet.

Vilstraks (or tunnel thugs) dwell underground, away from the surface world. Though they have no allergy or reaction to sunlight, they disdain its existence, preferring the cold, damp blackness of their underground world. A vilstrak’s lair is a “pocket” formed deep inside the earth. These pockets have no exits or entrances and are only reachable by those who can pass through stone or earth.

A typical vilstrak stands 6 feet tall and weighs about 200 pounds. Its arms have an extra joint between the elbow and wrist, and its arms end in large, powerful fists of stone. Vilstraks are gray or brown.

Vilstraks speak Terran.

Combat
Vilstraks are peaceful creatures who avoid combat if possible. They do take great joy and pride in robbing those that invade their territory. A favored tactic of the vilstrak is to hide inside the wall of a dungeon corridor and spring out when prey passes nearby.

Merge with Earth (Su): A vilstrak can merge with earth or stone at will as a standard action. This ability is similar to a meld into stone spell (caster level 12th), except that a vilstrak can see what goes on outside and it can remain merged as long as it desires.

Skills: *Vilstraks have a +8 racial bonus on Hide checks when in rocky surroundings.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Based on the ToH version, I'd recommend we boost them to 4 HD, continuing the Advancement progression.

So Large, 4 HD, usual Str and Con size bonuses, and leave Dex unchanged?

GrayLinnorm

Explorer
I would also change Alignment from Usually neutral (evil tendencies) to Usually neutral evil. I have no idea why they kept alignment tendencies in the Tomes of Horrors; it's an archaic concept rendered obsolete by the way monster alignments are handled in 3e.

Remove ads