Converting Monsters from D&D Official Video Games

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

The skill modifiers aren't too shabby. I'd recommend dropping Listen altogether, and shifting those ranks to Spot. The Hide and Move Silently modifiers, while not great, are quite good while in a web.

Environment: Any land and underground?

Organization: Solitary or x (1 plus x monstrous spiders of various sizes)

Challenge Rating: x

Treasure: 1/10 coins; 50% goods; 50% items? (like most spiders)

Alignment: Originally, they were chaotic evil, but neutral evil seems a better fit to me. Maybe simply "always evil"?

A typical spider queen’s body is x feet long. It weighs about x pounds.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
A cluster of 1 spider queen and 2-8 monstrous spiders of Small to Large size?

I still support the ranks in Listen. It's not great at it, but it'll help (especially if there are invisible foes, etc).

Any evil and the environment seem right to me. CR is either 7 or 8. They're a good synergy monster for their spidery minions.

Shade

Monster Junkie
No problem. I'm not all that concerned about the ranks in Listen and Spot, since it's got tremorsense. ;)

Updated.

Do we want to make these thick n' hairy, long and slender, or allow for variations like normal spiders?

Cleon

Legend
A cluster of 1 spider queen and 2-8 monstrous spiders of Small to Large size?

I'd prefer a "court" of spiders to a cluster. They are royalty, after all. Oh, and I'd rather have a greater number of spiders, something like 1 consort (a phase spider or Huge monstrous spider), 2-8 Large spiders and 2-20 Medium spiders.

I still support the ranks in Listen. It's not great at it, but it'll help (especially if there are invisible foes, etc).

While I do like Listen for them, it'd probably be easier just to boost their tremorsense to tremorsight...

Any evil and the environment seem right to me. CR is either 7 or 8. They're a good synergy monster for their spidery minions.

I'd go for "Usually neutral evil" like the 3E drow.

The environment is good, and I'd go for CR7.

Cleon

Legend
Do we want to make these thick n' hairy, long and slender, or allow for variations like normal spiders?

I imagine them looking like gigantic black widows, except the red mark on their abdomen is shaped like a crown instead of an hourglass.

Yes, I know it's a bit corny.

As for their size and weight, how about making them a half-size larger than a phase spider?

Large phase spider: Body 8 feet long, weight 700 pounds.
Huge phase spider: Body 16 feet long, weight 5600 pounds.

=> Spider Queen: Body 12 feet long, weight 2400 pounds. Legspan ~20 feet?

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Well, there's no such thing as tremorsight. I prefer a wide variety of spider-types for spider queens, and in the flavor text mention that these are giant monstrous spiders grown intelligent after surviving for millennia.

Cleon

Legend
Well, there's no such thing as tremorsight. I prefer a wide variety of spider-types for spider queens, and in the flavor text mention that these are giant monstrous spiders grown intelligent after surviving for millennia.

Well there is in my game, it's just blindsight that works through the ground.

Or we could give the Spider Queen regular blindsight instead (or as well) as tremorsense.

Remove ads