• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting monsters from Second Edition Monstrous Compendiums

Cleon

Legend
That'll work. Should we update with that and call it a day on the special abilities?

That's fine by me. We've already spent ages on this thing.

You're handling the Working Draft aren't you. I believe (or should that be hope) that we're almost done with the template.

Cleon

Legend
Well, I felt like I needed to do one or two of the working drafts. ;)

Updated.

The Improved Breath Evasion hasn't been moved to the Improved Additional Special Abilities section and it's missing the Improved Metamagic feats.

e.g.:

Improved Additional Special Abilities
The undead dragon slayer may choose the following special abilities if it has a BAB of at least +12 or a caster level of at least 12th. To choose an improved ability, the undead dragon slayer must already possess the corresponding special ability given above.

Improved Anti-Dragon Evocation (Sp): The undead dragon slayer's Anti-Dragon Evocation does +100% extra force damage instead of +50%.

Improved Breath Evasion (Ex): The undead dragon slayer gains improved evasion (as the rogue class feature) against breath weapons.

Improved Dazzling Display (Su): The undead dragon slayer may make a dazzling display as part of a standard attack action or a full attack action, and the dazzling display DC gains a +2 enhancement bonus (see Dazzling Display above). To select this special ability, the undead dragon slayer must already have the Dazzling Display special attack.

Improved Dragon Defense (Ex): The undead dragon slayer gains an additional +2 dodge bonus to AC and a +1 bonus to Reflex saves against attacks made by dragons, which stacks with Dragon Defense.

Improved Enchant Dragon (Sp): When the undead dragon slayer uses its Enchant Dragon ability the Enchantment spell gains a +1 bonus to DC and a +1 bonus on caster level checks to overcome a dragon's spell resistance.

Improved Scry Dragon (Sp): When the undead dragon slayer uses its Scry Dragon ability the Divination spell has a +2 bonus on caster level checks to overcome a dragon's spell resistance and its range increases by 200% (this includes the bonuses from Scry Dragon).

Improved Transmute Dragon (Sp): As Improved Enchant Dragon (see above), except it alters a Transmutation spell.

Improved Weapon Throwing (Ex): An undead dragon slayer can throw any weapon as an attack against a dragon. The attack does not take any penalties for being an improvised weapon but instead gains a +4 racial attack bonus and does additional damage equal to 1d6 plus 1d6 per 2 HD of the undead dragon slayer. The attack bonus does not stack with that gained from the Weapon Throwing ability.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Weird, I thought I got those. Except for Improved Breath Evasion. I thought that one, while called "Improved," didn't need the higher BAB/CL since it is an improved version of an SQ every undead dragon slayer gets, not an improved version of one that has to be selected. Does that make sense?

Updated with the improved magic stuff, but not the Improved Breath Evasion move yet.

Cleon

Legend
Weird, I thought I got those. Except for Improved Breath Evasion. I thought that one, while called "Improved," didn't need the higher BAB/CL since it is an improved version of an SQ every undead dragon slayer gets, not an improved version of one that has to be selected. Does that make sense?
Come to think of it, yes that does make sense. Better return/keep it to the standard additional abilities. We could rename it "Enhanced Breath Evasion", if you think that'd reduce the confusion.

Cleon

Legend
Calling it "Enhanced" is a good idea. And updated.

Anything you want to do with skills or feats?

Their special abilities already give them some feat-like perks and favoured enemy skill bonuses against dragons, I'm not sure they need any more.

Did you have anything particular in mind?

freyar

Nothing specific about skills and feats, but I figured I'd ask.

Ready for CR? Seems like maybe a table based on BAB/CL.

Cleon

Legend
Nothing specific about skills and feats, but I figured I'd ask.

Fine by me. It'll help us crawl towards completing this monster.

Ready for CR? Seems like maybe a table based on BAB/CL.

I'm thinking a flat +X CR might be OK. Their special abilities do have a jump up in power a bit at BAB/CL of 12+ when they get the improved powers, but since most of them only work against Dragons that doesn't make much difference to their general-purpose power level.

I could see them having a ECL bonus if they're fighting a party of PC half-dragons, but generally they are less of a threat than a Death Knight of the same character levels.

Are they that much tougher than, say, a Fiend Knight?

freyar

Hmmm, it's a little better than the fiend knight but maybe not enough for a full +1 CR boost. What do you think, CR +1 or CR +2? I think I lean toward CR +1 but a considerably larger LA.

Remove ads