Converting Monsters from White Dwarf Magazine

Casimir Liber

Explorer
Since we've got all those Scandinavian titles, could we tie the "Circle" to Norse myth?

Hmm…

The mythic dragon Nidhogg or Nidhug (see Níðhöggr) is a terrible monster that lives in Náströnd (literally "Corpse Shore", a place in Hel). When not chewing corpses he gnaws at the root of the World Tree (Yggdrasil) with his venomous teeth.

Maybe this Druid Circle was once a cult of Nidhogg, and (according to their legends at least) the first Pine Kindred was created with the poisonous sap that bled from Yggdrasil were Nidhogg was chewing it?

Well it's got a tree, sap, hell and corpses in it, that's most of the elements we need!
Yeah - I like this actually as a neater fit...I do have a natural liking for lovecraft and shub-niggurath but this better.

Cleon

Adventurer
Argorian wormkin looks all in order...I'll publish on DnDbyeond in a few hours

The current Text version of the Argorian is identical to your Version 3 apart from a couple of minor typo corrections in the Bite, which had a surplus ";" semi-colon and a "Hit" that wasn't italicized in "Hit: 3 (1d4 + 1); slashing" and a double full stop ".." at the end.

Oh, and I also used an en-dash rather than a hyphen after "Plus poison"and Initial Cap for the "DC 11 Con", but that's just because I sort that looked nicer.

Cleon

Adventurer
Also if the kindred is the base version, how do you see the carl fitting in? You wanna proceed with it?

I think of the relationship as being similar to that of a Vampire Spawn and full Vampire, with the Thralls being Renfield! :cool:

As for proceeding with it, I'm game if you are!

Last edited:

Cleon

Adventurer
The current Text version of the Argorian is identical to your Version 3 apart from a couple of minor typo corrections in the Bite, which had a surplus ";" semi-colon and a "Hit" that wasn't italicized in "Hit: 3 (1d4 + 1); slashing" and a double full stop ".." at the end.

Oh, and I also used an en-dash rather than a hyphen after "Plus poison"and Initial Cap for the "DC 11 Con", but that's just because I sort that looked nicer.

Come to think of it, I didn't add the Description to the Argorian Wormkin Text Version.

Better do that now before I forget again!

Cleon

Adventurer
I think of the relationship as being similar to that of a Vampire Spawn and full Vampire, with the Thralls being Renfield! :cool:

As for proceeding with it, I'm game if you are!

Speaking of which, might as well do some Carl tweaking!

Pine Kindred, Pine Carl
Medium undead, neutral evil
Armor Class 14 (natural armor)
Hit Points 22 (4d8 + 4)
Speed 30 ft.

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
13 (+1)12 (+1)12 (+1)8 (−1)9 (−1)5 (−3)

Saving Throws Wis +0
Damage Vulnerabilities Fire
Damage Resistances Lightning; Poison; Bludgeoning and Piercing from Nonmagical Attacks
Damage Immunities Cold
Condition Immunities Exhausted, Paralyzed
Senses Darkvision 60 ft., Passive Perception 9
Languages understands Druidic, Sylvan but cannot speak
Challenge 1/2 (100 XP) Proficiency Bonus +2

Special Traits

Pine Blood. Pine kindred count as both plant and undead for any effect related to type.

Spellcasting. A pine carl is an inept 1st-level spellcaster that uses Wisdom as its spellcasting ability (spell save DC 9, +1 to hit with spell attacks) and is only able to cast a single cantrip.

Cantrips (at will): ray of frost

Some pine kindred know spells from outside the druid's spell list (see Dark Druidic Mysteries).

Actions

Multiattack. The pine carl makes two claw attacks.

Spear. Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 4 (1d6 + 1) piercing damage or 5 (1d8 + 1) piercing damage if used with two hands. Ranged Weapon Attack: +2 to hit, range 20/60 5 ft., one target. Hit: 4 (1d6 + 1) piercing damage.

Dart. Ranged Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, range 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 3 (1d4 + 1) piercing damage.

Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 3 (1d4 + 1) slashing damage.

Since the Thrall no longer has claws I'll remove that attack and the Multiattack to leave the Spear and Dart.

We also cut out the Thrall's resistance to Piercing Damage from Nonmagical Weapon, so I'll tempted to cut out the Carl's weapon damage resistances, but I kind of like the idea of leaving one of them.

So I'll just make it resistant to nonmagical Piercing damage.

Oh, and I'm not very fond of having "Pine" twice in the Name, so I'll rename it from "Pine Carl" to "Fircarl", which basically also means "Pine Man" but is all Norse-ey sounding!

EDIT: Oh, and changed its cantrip from ray of frost to guidance, to give it more reason to use its darts.

Last edited:

Cleon

Adventurer
Oh, and I noticed a minor typo in the Kindred, Jarl and Thane and Fircarl.

The "Lightning; Poison" is their Damage Resistances should have a comma "Lightning, Poison" between them not a semi-colon. That's to separate the nonmagical attacks damage resistances.

More importantly (I kept on meaning to mention this but somehow never got around to it), none of the published sources I've seen Capitalize the damage/condition types.

For example, the Wight in the Monster Manual has "Damage Resistances necrotic; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks that aren’t silvered" rather than "Damage Resistances Necrotic; Bludgeoning, Piercing, and Slashing from Nonmagical Attacks that aren’t Silvered" so those should be non-Capitalized.

Is that some feature of D&D Beyond's formatting or just a personal preference?

Anyhow, I'll just go and de-capitalize all my text versions' Resistances/Immunities. At least I've only got seven monsters to edit!

Cleon

Adventurer
Anyhow, I'll just go and de-capitalize all my text versions' Resistances/Immunities. At least I've only got seven monsters to edit!

Okay, the Ggreat Dde-Ccapitalization of November has been completed!

Now the Thane was the next Kindred whose mechanics we're working on. I like the spell selection in Pine Kindred Thane (Version 4), so will add them to the text version.

Oh, except that it's produce flames not control flames. I don't believe there even is a control flames spell in the 5E core rules. It doesn't even have pyrotechnics like most earlier editions.

Cleon

Adventurer
Oh, except that it's produce flames not control flames. I don't believe there even is a control flames spell in the 5E core rules. It doesn't even have pyrotechnics like most earlier editions.

Hold on, earth tremor and snare don't appear to be SRD spells either, at least a quick rummage through 5esrd.com can't find them.

I prefer to use spells that are easily accessible via online SRD sources, so I think we should exchange those for a couple of different ones.

Maybe one 1st and one 2nd-level spell, so it's even?

I like heat metal, moonbeam or pass without trace for the 2nd-level spell swap, and faerie fire or longstrider for the 1st-level spell.

Or maybe give it another "Dark Druidic Mystery" as the 1st-level spell swap? I'm undecided on how many of those it should get, but was thinking it shouldn't be more than half or a third its spellcaster level (i.e. 2 or the current 1).

If I could think of any non-druid 1st level spells I really wanted to give the Thane I'd go for that, but I couldn't come up with one.

Casimir Liber

Explorer
Okay - just entering data for fircarl...we decided...it can't use shrieking wail...can it?

description...
"Fircarls are less adept pine kindred formed from bodies that were less than ideal, which has left them with weaker physical and magical capabilities"

Cleon

Adventurer
Okay - just entering data for fircarl...we decided...it can't use shrieking wail...can it?

description...
"Fircarls are less adept pine kindred formed from bodies that were less than ideal, which has left them with weaker physical and magical capabilities"

Yes, I cut out the Shrieking Wail, mostly just so the DM would have less to keep track of. Plus it's a huge wad of text that'd occupy half the Stat Block as they don't have much else going on.

We were leaving the Pine Kindred Descriptions until we've finished with the mechanics.

For the Fircarl's basic description how about:

Fircarls are lesser versions of regular pine kindred, weaker physically and with minimal magical abilities. They can be produced using the same grisly ritual that creates standard pine kindred, but its requirements are less stringent. A fircarl can be formed from a fleshly slain humanoid corpse, and its creation requires the infusion of less sap of Nidhogg than a full-blooded kindred.

Assuming we're sticking in some references to Norse myth!

Cleon

Adventurer
I have to go out soon and will be away for a while, so most likely won't be checking back here until about 18:00 to 20:00 GMT (so tomorrow morning over in Oz).

Casimir Liber

Explorer
I have to go out soon and will be away for a while, so most likely won't be checking back here until about 18:00 to 20:00 GMT (so tomorrow morning over in Oz).
I am still chasing some of teh stats to tee up (been busy adulting for a bit this evening) - and also need to find images to be able to make them shareable in DNDbeyond. Also can't do much about some formatting as that is just how DnDbeyond does it. Going through now...

Casimir Liber

Explorer
one labelled 'thane' better as 'jarl' I think...

Attachments

• pinekindredthrallportrait.png
    pinekindredthrallportrait.png
    426.5 KB · Views: 7
  • pinekindredthaneportrait.png
    pinekindredthaneportrait.png
    493.2 KB · Views: 11

Casimir Liber

Explorer
Still musing on 2nd level Circle too...but need to sleep - have aligned all monsters to date - but didn't we leave Jarl at CR4? Also 2nd lvl spell darkness* and first level spell shield* have added - more later

Cleon

Adventurer
Still musing on 2nd level Circle too...but need to sleep

You'd better get some sleep then!

When I saw your earlier Circle of Nightmares Draft with its "healing ichor" ability, it inspired an idea for a "2nd level Circle" ability for the Thane and Jarl.

Gift of Nidhogg. The pine kindred thane touches a creature and infuses its circulation with pine sap infused with necromantic venom. [Damages living creatures, heals and gives temporary hit points to undead, infuses sap into pine kindred during a pine kindred jarl's Kindred Initiation ritual. Details to be discussed.]

have aligned all monsters to date - but didn't we leave Jarl at CR4? Also 2nd lvl spell darkness* and first level spell shield* have added - more later

Yes, I just hadn't got around to updating the Jarl yet.

For the Jarl's Dark Druidic Mysteries spells I was tempted by animate dead* since it seems their schtick to make undead.

Level Up!

An Advertisement

Advertisement4