Converting Oriental Adventures creatures

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I say yes to 2 slashes in a full attack.

For the pinwheel, take something like the bralani's windblast? Ref save or checked/knocked prone or something? Or just leave off that last part?

Cleon

Legend
I say yes to 2 slashes in a full attack.

I'll update the Working Draft to give the Dove twin slashes.

For the pinwheel, take something like the bralani's windblast? Ref save or checked/knocked prone or something? Or just leave off that last part?

That would work for me. The original Pinwheel's Airblast was a little odd, requiring an attack roll and then a Dex save to avoid extra damage. Dropping the attack roll works for me.

When hovering, it can blast a column of air at any victim up to 10 feet away (make a normal attack roll) to inflict 1-4 hit points of damage. The air-blast victim must also make a Dexterity Check; failure means he is blown to the ground or against an object, suffering an additional 1-2 hit points of damage.
Modifying the Bralani's SA to fit that would give something like:

Airblast (Ex): When in pinwheel form, a gohei p'oh can attack with a scouring blast of wind, dealing 1d6 points of damage in a 10-foot line (Reflex DC X half). The save DC is Constitution-based.

freyar

I like that airblast pretty well, as that's my preference also. Good.

I guess we just need the box bit:

Box. This form, the gohei po’h’s most dangerous, resembles a small box or satchel. The spirit has a movement rate of Fl 3 (C). If the spirit comes within 3 feet of a victim and makes a successful attack roll, the victim is sucked inside the box and is immediately transported to a random location in the Ethereal Plane. (The victim will have to find his own way back.) A gohei p’oh in box form can “swallow” only one victim a day. Instead of “swallowing” a victim, the boxlike spirit can turn itself inside out. This maneuver effectively allows it to “swallow” itself and escape to the Ethereal Plane. The spirit must remain there for a full day, after which it can “swallow” itself again and return to its original location.

Prefer a ranged touch (5 ft range) or a Will save on any creature within 5 ft? Borrow heavily from ethereal jaunt or similar spell?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Modifying the Bralani's SA to fit that would give something like:

Airblast (Ex): When in pinwheel form, a gohei p'oh can attack with a scouring blast of wind, dealing 1d6 points of damage in a 10-foot line (Reflex DC X half). The save DC is Constitution-based.

Looks good.

Cleon

Legend
I like that airblast pretty well, as that's my preference also. Good.

Since Shade's OK with it too, I'll update the Working Draft with that Airblast.

Prefer a ranged touch (5 ft range) or a Will save on any creature within 5 ft? Borrow heavily from ethereal jaunt or similar spell?

Yes, that's what I was thinking too, but with a ranged touch AND a Will save. It's a pretty nasty power for a low-level character to face, so I'd like to give the victim a reasonable chance to resist.

Ethereal Swallow (Su): Once per day, a gohei p'oh in box form can attempt to "swallow" a single target of up to Large? size. The gohei p'oh needs to hit the target with a 5 ft. ranged touch attack. The target must succeed at a DC X Will save, or be pulled "inside the box" and transferred to the Ethereal Plane at a point contiguous with the gohei p'oh's location. Alternatively, a gohei p'oh can turn itself inside out and become ethereal by "swallowing itself", the gohei p'oh must then remain on the Ethereal Plane for at least a day, after which it can "swallow itself" again and return to its original location. The save DC is Charisma-based.

freyar

I think there are some precedents, so I'm ok with that. The Will save may not be super-tough, either. Generally, this looks pretty good.

Cleon

Legend
I think there are some precedents, so I'm ok with that. The Will save may not be super-tough, either. Generally, this looks pretty good.

I'm not sure about setting a size limit on the Ethereal Swallow. The original made no mention of it being restricted by how big the opponent was, and it's no crazier having a 6" box swallow a human as a giant.

Fancy changing it to "Once per day, a gohei p'oh in box form can attempt to "swallow" a single opponent."?

Cleon

Legend

Revising...

Ethereal Swallow (Su): Once per day, a gohei p'oh in box form can attempt to "swallow" a single opponent (or an unattended object). The gohei p'oh needs to hit the target with a 5 ft. ranged touch attack. The target must succeed at a DC X Will save, or be pulled "inside the box" and transferred to the Ethereal Plane at a point contiguous with the gohei p'oh's location. Alternatively, a gohei p'oh can turn itself inside out and become ethereal by "swallowing itself", the gohei p'oh must then remain on the Ethereal Plane for at least a day, after which it can "swallow itself" again and return to its original location. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Can we think of a name that's better than "Ethereal Swallow"?

Boy, these are going to be a bit weird to figure CR.

Yes, it's a tricky one. It doesn't do any damage, it just puts an opponent out of play. Possibly permanently, if the party has no means of planar travel.

Remove ads