Converting Oriental Adventures creatures

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Heheh, I kind of like "ethereal swallow." It shounds just funny enough.

And, yes, the ethereal swallow is potentially worse even than a cockatrice's petrifying bite (for example).

Cleon

Legend
Heheh, I kind of like "ethereal swallow." It shounds just funny enough.

And, yes, the ethereal swallow is potentially worse even than a cockatrice's petrifying bite (for example).

Well a cockatrice can petrify as often as it can touch a victim, these ghost paper boxes can only Ethershunt a victim once per day.

Maybe Challenge Rating 1 or 2? A cockatrice is only CR3.

You know, a cockatrice should be nastier than that - the poor things were badly served by the SRD.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Well, they're quite weak otherwise. I like what Pathfinder did with the cockatrice, at least if you want to keep the CR low, which is reducing the potency of the bite (at first).

I guess CR 2 for the paper spirits. What else do we need to do for these?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Hmm, I think I like Ethereal Swallow better than Ethershunt.

How about joining the two and making it Etherswallow?

Or use a synonym for swallow - Ethergulp?

I'll stick what we have so far into the Working Draft, with CR 2.

Of the three, I have no strong preference, but find "Ethereal Swallow" slightly preferable to merging the two words.

Cleon

Legend
I think I prefer ethereal swallow also.

Fine by me.

Hungry Paper should be Ex or maybe Su.

I think I prefer (Ex) for Hungry Paper, since it's more like a dependency such as a Sahuagin's Water Dependent (Ex).

Hungry Paper uses Erase (Sp) or Breath Drain (Ex), so we could go for either.

Hmm, why did I list Breath Drain as (Ex), Shouldn't we make Breath Drain (Su)?

I'm still not 100% sure I like the Erase as a (Sp), but I guess we should leave it like that to follow the spell.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Yep, breath drain should be Su, and probably hungry paper as well (since its need for sustenance isn't based on living biological functions).

Remove ads