Converting original D&D and Mystara monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Mortis said:
something along the lines of:

Summoned Silver Warrior: A Silver warrior summoned by a faedorne gains a +4 enhancement bonus to Strength and Constitution).

would that be the proper way of recording that? not too sure that i want an LA or "as characters" section, i mean unless the PCs were going to be spending their time on a Shining Isle or working for a faedorne. :)

Mortis said:
from the module O2 Sword of Vengeance, we've recently converted the faedorne and silver warrior plus the flitterling awhile ago, so the Shargug would be next (and last).

sure, if you want to do that one next.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Shade said:
I know! Seeing that this is the only thread that gets consistent requests other than the Overhaul and Epic threads, perhaps we need to break it up into smaller categories, such as OD&D, 2E Mystara, Mystara modules, etc.?

Well, I'm the patient sort, so I'll wait for my suggestions enter the queue.

My "really want to see converted" list includes the Darkwing, Hutaakan, Kna, Mek, and Shark-kin. I already have my own version of the Lupin (which I'll be happy to share when it comes up) and Mortis supplied me with the link to a 3.0 version of the Pegataur, so I'm good for that one.

I think splitting up the thread is a bit redundant at this point. It's already fairly long. If anything, a second thread might be required after a certain point. I suggest you stick with one thread for now and see where it is by the end of December. (A new version of the thread for a new year?)

KF72

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
if it's popular enough, i could always start an auxilliary thread. not that i'm not busy enough with all the other threads. ;)

Mortis

First Post
BOZ said:
would that be the proper way of recording that? not too sure that i want an LA or "as characters" section, i mean unless the PCs were going to be spending their time on a Shining Isle or working for a faedorne. :)
Not sure, because the way summoning normally works, summoned creatures are only around for a hour and are therefore not really playable. However, the silver warrior can be with a favoured elf for the duration of a quest and would therefore be playable.

An inelegant solution would be to require the player of a summoned silver warrior to buy a feat "Summoned Warrior" which gives the benefits of the Augment Summoning feat.

All in all though BOZ, you're probaly right, leave out the LA and As characters section.

So, I'll say that the Silver Warrior is done.

sure, if you want to do that one next.
Well we could do the Shargug next but Shade won't be happy it looks like a Wild Halfling :D

Regards,
Mortis

Last edited:

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Certainly not i. ;) so wrap up module O2 and all its silly faerie goodness before moving on, or just move on? :)

Mortis

First Post
OK then here's the Shargugh entry from DMR2 Creature Catalog

Shargugh

Armor Class: 7
Hit Dice: 3` (S)
Move: 150' (50')
Attacks: 1 bite or weapon
Damage: 1d4 or by weapon
No. Appearing: 0 (1d3)
Save As: Elf: 6
Morale: 7
Treasure Type: Nil
Intelligence: 10
Alignment: Neutral
XP Value: 50

Monster Type: Humanoid (Very Rare).
Shargugh are three foot tall humanoids with wild, matted, brown hair and long, tangled, brown beards. Shargugh wear ragged, brown and green clothing and are sometimes armed with silver daggers. Each individual or group has a woodland territory roughly 24 miles in diameter. (It is exactly equal to a 24 mile wide wilderness hexagon, if these are being used.) A shargugh is tied to its territory, which nurtures its life force. In a sort of symbiosis, the woodland territory also takes strength from the shargugh, as well as being protected actively by the woodland folk. A shargugh will never voluntarily leave its territory, and if forced to do so, will sicken and die in one to two days unless returned before that time.
Any section of woodland whose shargugh is killed will become cursed and infertile for seven years. During that time, no new plants or trees will grow. Existing plants and trees will continue to grow, but will not bear any fruit or flowers. A druid who casts a remove curse spell can restore fertility to the land at any time.
A shargugh has the ability to transport itself instantaneously through trees for up to 600 yards. It does this by passing into one tree and emerging from another in its destination area. A shargugh can use this ability 5 times per day.
Shargugh are mischievous and are likely to steal valuable objects from any creature encountering them. They are able to pick pockets with an 85% chance of success and move silently 85% of the time. To dissuade shargugh from stealing, woodland folk often leave offerings of food and drink for the creatures. In return for this, shargugh have been known to carry out small but useful tasks. They are also able to hide in woods in the same way as halflings, with a 90% chance of success.
Terrain: Woods.

Regards,
Mortis

Mortis

First Post
What I've come up with so far is:

Shargugh
Small Fey

Hit Dice: 3d6 (10 hp)
Initiative: +3 (Dex)
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
Armor Class : 14 (+1 size, +3 Dex), touch 14, flat-footed 11
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-3

Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.

Saves: Fort +1 Ref +5 Will +3

Abilities: Str 11 Dex 16 Con 10 Int 10 Wis 12 Cha 9

Skills: (36) Hide, Move Silently, & Sleight of Hand - 6 ranks each as they are mentioned in original write up.
Climb, Knowledge (nature), Listen, Search, Spot, Survival - 3 ranks each?
Racial bonus to any skill needed?

Feats: (2) Stealthy?, Weapon Finesse?

Environment: Temperate forest
Organization: Solitary or group (2-6)
Challenge Rating: X
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually neutral
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: ---

Combat

Woodland Dependent (Su): Each shargugh is mystically bound to it's woodland territory and must never stray more than 300? yards from it. Any who do become ill and die within 4d6 hours.

Curse of the Shargugh (Su): The territory of a slain shargugh becomes cursed and infertile for a period of 7 years. New plants and trees will not grow, whilst existing flora will neither fruit nor flower. A hallow? spell cast by a druid will restore the woodland's fertility at any point.

Spell-like Abilities (Sp): 5/day Tree Stride Caster Level 3?

How about the Hamadryad's Woodland Mastery ability?

Comments, suggestions?

Regards,
Mortis

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads