Converting prehistoric animals

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
demiurge1138 said:
I might be wrong, but the creatures that gain temporary hit points from blood drain are all supernatural creatures, like undead. Both dire weasels and stirges (the model for attach) just feed on blood, and don't gain any temporary hit points, and I don't think the cave hallucigenia should either.

good enough for me. :)

Shade said:
This all looks good so far. As for the grapple bonus, I found a couple of critters, and it appears that the racial bonus to grapple checks is enough to offset the size penalty, plus an additional +4. Granted, two creatures isn't a great sample, but it could suggest we go with +8.

you mean the stirge and weasel? Well, they were working with a bigger negative to offset due to a lower Str score and smaller size. Unless the CR is going to be nice and big, I think demiurge’s +4 might be enough.

Shade said:
For its feats, I'd recommend Improved Init and Stealthy.

it is unintelligent, you know. :D

Shade said:
I think this fella should have a climb speed as well.

they didn’t have one before, but that does make sense.

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
you mean the stirge and weasel? Well, they were working with a bigger negative to offset due to a lower Str score and smaller size. Unless the CR is going to be nice and big, I think demiurge’s +4 might be enough.

Works for me.

BOZ said:
it is unintelligent, you know. :D

Awww...brain fart. :eek:

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Since we can't give it feats, maybe a racial bonus to Hide checks would be appropriate? Also, you'd probably want to change the environment line to Underground from Any Aquatic.

Demiurge out.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
demiurge1138 said:
Since we can't give it feats, maybe a racial bonus to Hide checks would be appropriate?

sounds good to me. :)

“When prey appears, the cave Hallucigenia drops down, swinging at the victim while its “tail” stretches to several times its length. AD&D game PCs have a +2 penalty on surprise rolls against this attack. The fourteen spines (or “legs”) slam into the prey, doing up to 14 points of damage. After the initial strike, the Hallucigenia’s powerful tail draws up both predator and prey among the stalactites, where the victim can be drained at leisure.”

You know, I don’t think it really needs reach, since it seems to drop straight down. It should be in the same square (though not necessarily so vertically). One thing though, maybe we can do something where attached prey gets pulled up to the cavern ceiling. Maybe a “surprise attack” thing too when it drops down suddenly out of hiding.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Well, "surprise attack" is usually covered by Hide, Move Silently, and Improved Initiative. ;)

I'd suggest a +4 racial bonus on Hide and Move Silently checks.

I think that we should modify this ability from the umbral banyan:

Yank Upward (Ex): On the round after an umbral banyan grapples a foe, it can automatically yank the held creature 20 feet up into the air if it is still successfully grappling. Opponents who escape the grapple take 2d6 points of damage from the fall to the ground.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Shade said:
Yank Upward (Ex): On the round after an umbral banyan grapples a foe, it can automatically yank the held creature 20 feet up into the air if it is still successfully grappling. Opponents who escape the grapple take 2d6 points of damage from the fall to the ground.

funky name for that one though. ;) but it does what it says…

should we keep that variable damage or just say “falling damage”?

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I'd say falling damage. That's probably only 1d6 for the cave hallucigenia, but mitigating circumstances could always lead to more.

Demiurge out.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Yeah, that is a funky name. But its from a funky monster. :lol:

Agreed on the falling damage. Do we need to put a size limitation on what it can "yank upward"?

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Shade said:
Do we need to put a size limitation on what it can "yank upward"?

absolutely. :)

math time!

We gave it a Str of 14, for which the maximum lift over your head is 175 (and we assume that the critter isn’t carrying anything else of course). But, since it is Small, that is ¾, so the number is really 131. that’s enough to lift most Medium creatures, but not necessarily all. Still, I would allow for all Medium creatures all the same.

Yank Upward (Ex): On the round after a cave hallucigenia attaches to a Medium or smaller foe, it can automatically yank the held creature 20 feet up into the air if it is still successfully grappling. The hallucigenia must currently be climbing along the ceiling or wall to use this ability. Opponents who escape the grapple take falling damage as they fall to the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads