• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting prehistoric animals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

Rather than "hold breath", how's this?

Partially Amphibious (Ex): A mastodonsaurus can survive for a number of rounds equal to x times its Constitution score out of water. After that, it risks drowning. For a typical mastodonsaurus, this is x rounds, or x minutes.

Edit: On second thought, should we just adapt this?

Water Dependent (Ex): Sahuagin can survive out of the water for 1 hour per 2 points of Constitution (after that, refer to the drowning rules on page 304 of the Dungeon Master’s Guide).

CR 4?

Advancement: 6-9 HD (Large), 11-15 HD (Huge)?

A mastodonsaurus is 12 to 15 feet long, weighing around x pounds.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
So it comes down to hours vs minutes, really. I'm thinking go with Water Dependent. 800-1000 lb? The rest seems good.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Ready for the Platyhystrix?

It looks like it should be Small ("less than a meter").

Downsizing eryops would yield...

Str 13, Dex 12, Con 15, Int 1, Wis 11, Cha 5

Sound OK? 1 Hit Die?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
That all sounds good.

Perhaps we can give it some kind of thermal tolerance thanks to that "sail."

Shade

Monster Junkie
Added to Homebrews (with some placeholders from eryops).

Should we retain improved grab/swallow whole (downsized, of course)?

How about the Hide bonuses in water? I can't seem to locate any information on their tactics.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Bonus to saves vs. temperature extremes is good. I think we should ditch improved grab and swallow whole, and the Hide bonus in water. They appear to have been predominately terrestrial--we might not even want them to get a swim speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads