• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting prehistoric animals

Status
Not open for further replies.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Bonus to saves vs. temperature extremes is good. I think we should ditch improved grab and swallow whole, and the Hide bonus in water. They appear to have been predominately terrestrial--we might not even want them to get a swim speed.
I generally agree. Maybe drop (aquatic) but give it hold breath with a slow swim speed, since it's supposed to be amphibious.

And prionosuchus would rock!

GrayLinnorm

Explorer
I believe that there was an issue of Dragon Magazine that featured Paleozoic creatures, including Eryops, Eogyrhinus, and a giant Platyhistrix.

If we're doing prehistoric amphibians, I'd like to see Diplocaulus. That's always been one of my favorites.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I believe that there was an issue of Dragon Magazine that featured Paleozoic creatures, including Eryops, Eogyrhinus, and a giant Platyhistrix.

<checks Echohawk's index>

Well, sure enough! I'll find those stats and see how they compare to what we've come up with so far.

If we're doing prehistoric amphibians, I'd like to see Diplocaulus. That's always been one of my favorites.

Me too. I remember having a model of one as a kid.

Shade

Monster Junkie
From Dragon #176 (1991)...

Eogyrinus
CLIMATE/TERRAIN: Swamps, marshes
FREQUENCY: Uncommon
DIET: Carnivore
NO. APPEARING: 2d6
ARMOR CLASS: 8
MOVEMENT: 2, Sw 6
HIT DICE: 4
THAC0: 17
NO. OF ATTACKS: 1
DAMAGE/ATTACK: 2d4
SPECIAL ATTACKS: Surprise bonus
SPECIAL DEFENSES: None
SIZE: L (15’ long)
MORALE: Steady (11)
XP VALUE: 120

Eogyrinus is typical of the largest amphibian predators of the Carboniferous period (345-280 million years ago), a time of tremendous forestation on the swampy land. A swamp dweller, this monster's length is due to the long, slender shape of its body, with short legs and a crocodilelike skull. It will attack anything that steps in front of it (lying in ambush is its preferred hunting technique). In swampy terrain, give it a + 1 bonus to surprise opponents because of its skill at hiding.

Eryops
CLIMATE/TERRAIN: Swamps, marshes
FREQUENCY: Common
NO. APPEARING: 2d8
ARMOR CLASS: 7
MOVEMENT: 2, SW 2
DAMAGE/ATTACK: 1d10
SPECIAL ATTACKS: None
SIZE: M (5’long)

Eryops is the most famous of the large amphibians of the early Permian period
(280-230 million years ago). It spent a bit more time out on dry land than its fellows did, and it adapted to meet the challenge, as is reflected in its slightly better armor class. It is thick bodied, weighing at least as much as Eogyrinus although it is only a third as long. Its mouth is large and heavily studded with teeth. In areas where the reptiles haven't totally taken over yet, Eryops will be one of the most-common predators.

Cyclotosaurus
CLIMATE/TERRAIN: Swamps, marshes,
rivers
NO. APPEARING: 3d8
ARMOR CLASS: 8
MOVEMENT: 2, SW 10
HIT DICE: 5
No. OF ATTACKS: 1
DAMAGE/ATTACK: 1d12
SPECIAL ATTACKS: + 1 to surprise foes in
swampy terrain
SIZE: L (14’ long)

Cyclotosaurus is something of a successor to Eogyrinus in the "amphibian-crocodile" line. Possibly appearing in the mid-to-late Permian period, it is found most often in the Triassic period in the Mesozoic era. Unlike the eel-like Eogyrinus, Cyclotosaurus is built like a conventional crocodile with about the same body proportions. Only the lack of scales on its smooth skin betrays its real ancestry, and a character caught in its jaws might not appreciate such subtleties.

Cyclotosaurus hunts in the same manner as a crocodile, lurking near riverbanks and ambushing anything that comes by to drink. Its great jaws do enough damage to kill the toughest 1st-level character with a single snap. The creature's durability is testimony to its efficient hunting methods; it did not become extinct until real reptilian crocodiles evolved from a branch of the archosaurs.

Cacops
CLIMATE/TERRAIN: Swamps, rivers
NO. APPEARING: 2d4
ARMOR CLASS: 7/3 (back)
MOVEMENT: 4, SW 6
HIT DICE: 2
THAC0: 19
DAMAGE/ATTACK: 1d6
SIZE: S (3’long)
XP VALUE: 35

Cacops is another amphibian of the Permian period that spent more time than usual out on land. It is best known for its heavily armored backbone; this gives its back a better armor class than the rest of its body (since it is so small, attacking characters will hack down at it). Its mouth is full of sharp teeth.

Platyhystrix, giant
CLIMATE/TERRAIN: Swamps, rivers
FREQUENCY: Uncommon
NO. APPEARING: 1-2
ARMOR CLASS: 3/7 (belly)
MOVEMENT! 2, SW 6
DAMAGE/ATTACK: 2d8
SIZE: L (10’ long)
MORALE: Elite (13)

Platyhystrix is a relative and contemporary of Cacops in the Permian period. The original version was only 3' long, but it's so weird that I've included a giant version for AD&D game play. The creature looks like an amphibian version of Dimetrodon, having the same sail-like fin on its back. This fin is a further development of the back armor of Cacops, and the ribs of Platyhystrix have also broadened out to protect the creature, so it is AC 3 when attacked from both flanks as well as on the back. A vicious predator, it can be found on land far more often than any other amphibian, even Eryops. If your players haven't heard of Platyhystrix, they might mistake it for a Dimetrodon at a distance and waste an arrow of reptile slaying on it.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Let's see.

Eryops: The Dragon Mag version is a bit faster on land and has 2 more HD. Increasing land speed is fine with me, but changing HD is more trouble. Want to bump to 4HD?

Should we "giantize" platyhystrix as in Dragon?

GrayLinnorm

Explorer
Let's see.

Eryops: The Dragon Mag version is a bit faster on land and has 2 more HD. Increasing land speed is fine with me, but changing HD is more trouble. Want to bump to 4HD?

Should we "giantize" platyhystrix as in Dragon?

If it makes it a more viable foe, I'm for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads