Converting "Real World" Animals and Vermin

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Would Str 13, Dex 15, Con 9, Int 8, Wis 11, Cha 10 work as a compromise?

AC 13 sounds fair to me, and I guess I'm partial to Dex 15 for some reason.

Cleon

Legend
Would Str 13, Dex 15, Con 9, Int 8, Wis 11, Cha 10 work as a compromise?

AC 13 sounds fair to me, and I guess I'm partial to Dex 15 for some reason.

The physical stats work for me, although I'd be tempted to bump the mental stats up a point. Mainly because the SRD Octopodes have Wisdom 12, which means the Int would have to become an odd-numbered stat.

Str 13, Dex 15, Con 9, Int 9, Wis 12, Cha 10?

We don't have to match the original's AC, you know.

Oh I realize that, but most Armour Class inflation happens with high-AC critters like fiends. With squishy things like the octopus I feel the AC should stay pretty low.

I think I prefer NA +2 with Dex +2 for AC14, like a regular SRD octopus Advanced to Medium sized.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Mainly because the SRD Octopodes have Wisdom 12, which means the Int would have to become an odd-numbered stat.

I'm just curious, as this comes up from time to time...where is this even/odd "rule"? I know that most creatures seem to follow this format, but many official monsters do not.

It really makes little difference in the grand scheme of things, but I find it rather odd.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I'm just curious, as this comes up from time to time...where is this even/odd "rule"? I know that most creatures seem to follow this format, but many official monsters do not.

It really makes little difference in the grand scheme of things, but I find it rather odd.
I think the confusion stems from the "abilities" paragraph of the "how to read a statblock" section of the MM/SRD:

SRD said:
Except where noted otherwise, each creature is assumed to have the standard array of ability scores before racial adjustments (all 11s and 10s). To determine any creature’s racial ability adjustments, subtract 10 from any even-numbered ability score and subtract 11 from any odd-numbered score.

Then there's the bit from "ability scores arrays" under "improving monsters":
SRD said:
Monsters are assumed to have completely average (or standard) ability scores—a 10 or an 11 in each ability, as modified by their racial bonuses.

These don't say that you have 3 even, 3 odd scores, so it's not a rule. But you could read into it an implication that there actually is a "standard array" with a set number of 10s and 11s. Since monsters are usually 3 odd, 3 even, it looks like 3 of each.

Cleon

Legend
Ahh...in that case, I'd say it's safe to deviate from the 3 odd/3 even when it suits our needs. :)

But, but then it wouldn't be completely average. :.-(

Yes, it isn't an actual rule as such, since I don't think it's written down anywhere. It's just most of published 3E monsters' ability scores are half odd, half even. I guess the "non-elite stat array" (13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8) is a factor.

To be honest, I fancied giving them Int 9 because (a) it's the average of the 8-10 range of an average-intelligence, and (b) it's a point higher than Int 8 (although it actually makes little difference as far as the rules are concerned). The odd/even rule of thumb was more of an excuse.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Sure. Added to Homebrews.

I split the difference between the Small octopus' and giant octopus' ink cloud dimensions.

Stick with 2 hp to sever a tentacle, like the original text?

Suggested constrict damage? The giant octopi has an odd amount, based on its other attacks. Downsizing that yields 1d10+Str.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases