• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting the Dukes of Hell

Mortis

First Post
Kain Darkwind said:
I think it would be better to have the gems function at a flat (20th?) caster level. Not only just for power level, but for ease of play. It adds an entire layer of work for the DM to choose an effect and then go find the lowest caster level for the effect, especially if he is actually using Malphas in combat. To say nothing of ECL 21 monks and drow not being affected in the least by SR dependant effects.
I'm able to agree with Kain on this. :lol:

Regards
Mortis

Kain Darkwind

Explorer
Ok. Here's another idea. The cloak has 333 gem granted options. Rather than say that each option is available x/day, x/week, why don't we say any option is open 9/day? (once for each of the Nine Hells)

So it is sort of like a sorcerer who has 9 spells per day left and 333 spells known.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Kain Darkwind said:
Ok. Here's another idea. The cloak has 333 gem granted options. Rather than say that each option is available x/day, x/week, why don't we say any option is open 9/day? (once for each of the Nine Hells)

So it is sort of like a sorcerer who has 9 spells per day left and 333 spells known.

Great idea! :cool:

Aspect of BOZ

First Post
I’m not dead yet!

Mortis said:
I'm able to agree with Kain on this.
oy…! *drops over dead*

Kain Darkwind said:

So, essentially, to put it another way what you’re saying is he can use the robe 9 times per day, using any of the 333 effects as he sees fit? If so, I’m in full agreement. :)

Kain Darkwind

Explorer
Aspect of BOZ said:
I’m not dead yet!

oy…! *drops over dead*

So, essentially, to put it another way what you’re saying is he can use the robe 9 times per day, using any of the 333 effects as he sees fit? If so, I’m in full agreement. :)

That's exactly what I'm saying. (aside from the AC/save bonuses, which should be constant)

I think it makes him simpler to run in the long term as well. Can you imagine trying to track him for more than a couple sessions as a recurring long term bad guy if you had to keep track of 333 nonrenewable (or variable renewed) abilities? Plus, he'd have to get a new magic cloak nearly every year and that would put a dent even in a Duke of Hell's budget.
:)

Aspect of BOZ

First Post
Well, I think your solution is perfect – a DM could even do it on the fly. Make up a couple dozen abilities on the fly in 5-10 minutes, using the suggestions I’ve provided, and just pick and choose from those as needed. Just as well, if a DM with OCD and a lot of free time wanted to go and actually choose 333 abilities for him and somehow keep track of them all, he could feel free. Either extreme of DM needs keep track of only the 9 daily uses.

So, let me give an attempt at revising the writeup with this idea in place as a slight adjustment:

“Robe of Malphas”: Malphas’s black velvet robes are studded with 333 gems of considerable value. The robe itself functions as if it were both a +4 cloak of resistance and a +4 ring of protection.

Malphas can also activate any gem on his robe as a standard action by touching it. The robe can be used in this way up to 9 times per day to activate any of the 333 gems. Each gem has a separate, individual function which should be determined by the DM.

Many of the gems can be used to cast a spell much like other magic items, using the lowest possible caster level. Common spells include summon monster, summon nature’s ally…

Some of the gems function like ioun stones, for X rounds. Some function like a metamagic rod for X rounds, enhancing any spell-like ability Malphas uses.

Kain Darkwind

Explorer
Aspect of BOZ said:
“Robe of Malphas”: Malphas’s black velvet robes are studded with 333 gems of considerable value. The robe itself functions as if it were both a +4 cloak of resistance and a +4 ring of protection.

Malphas can also activate any gem on his robe as a standard action by touching it. The robe can be used in this way up to 9 times per day to activate any of the 333 gems. Each gem has a separate, individual function which should be determined by the DM.

Many of the gems can be used to cast a spell much like other magic items, using the lowest possible caster level. Common spells include summon monster, summon nature’s ally…

Some of the gems function like ioun stones, for X rounds. Some function like a metamagic rod for X rounds, enhancing any spell-like ability Malphas uses.

Caster level 20th. Or Caster level = CRth. Not the lowest possible. Otherwise good.

So...this metamagic rod. Rather than a typical rod of metamagic, this one works for 9 (let's just use as an example) rounds? So for 9 rounds after, any SLA he uses is affected? That sounds pretty cool.

One could act as a runestaff, using his SLAs to fuel. Of course, that's sort of more complicated than just letting him cast a spell with it, so perhaps that should be scrapped. Here's a few more suggestions.

Displacement (50% miss chance) for x rounds/minutes
Incorporeal for x rounds/minutes
Next attack is a critical threat.
+15 to next skill check
Attacker takes damage equal to the next attack that strikes him
Allowed a swift round action dimensional door for the next x rounds. (No restriction on actions taken afterwards)

Shade

Monster Junkie
Sorry for the lack of responses. I've been crazy busy at both work and home.

I think CL 20th is probably simplest.

Since he doesn't actually cast spells, isn't the metamagic rod power useless to him?

Maybe instead a gem can be used to apply a metamagic feat to a spell-like ability?

Kain Darkwind

Explorer
Shade said:
Sorry for the lack of responses. I've been crazy busy at both work and home.

I think CL 20th is probably simplest.

Since he doesn't actually cast spells, isn't the metamagic rod power useless to him?

Maybe instead a gem can be used to apply a metamagic feat to a spell-like ability?

Aspect of Boz said:
Some function like a metamagic rod for X rounds, enhancing any spell-like ability Malphas uses.

Emphasis mine. :) That's exactly what we're talking about. He simply mentioned a round duration, so I was curious as to how such a rod would function. There should be no doubt that it affects SLAs, not spells though.

Remove ads