Cookin again

Zardnaar

Legend
Saturday night dine out and tried a new place wife had heard about.

Got there and Turkish street food. Yum it's really had to make bad Turkish even the "bad" ones were ok.

Got there and a familiar face walks out and I recognized him from a few years ago. He opened first Turkish restaurant here in 1996. Still going as well. Must have trusted me didn't take money until we finished and left us alone in the store for a couple of minutes as he popped out to his wife's place over the road.

Half of the menu.

IMG_20210213_185034.jpg

Unlike kebabs a bit more authentic. Kebabs are great but they don't eat then like that back in Turkey.

IMG_20210213_185008.jpg

Various interesting things. We bought some fried canned eggplant to try in our home made wraps.

Attachments

• IMG_20210213_185931.jpg
    IMG_20210213_185931.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 56

Zardnaar

Legend
Pt 2.

Ordered meatball something.

IMG_20210213_185931.jpg

Wasn't amazing but enjoyed it. Not a massive fan of chick peas but this was nice. Kind of like a soup with rice. Fairly basic but nice. Enjoyed my wife's one more.

IMG_20210213_185936.jpg

Some sort of sandwich in Turkish bread. Was quite delicious gonna order this next time. Had the chicken under the topping.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
We have a growing number of Mediterranean/Arabic places opening here in D/FW. Some are quite surprising.

About 4 minutes down the road is a 7-11 convenience store & gas station. When the building it‘s in was built, there was a small suite added to its southern side. And for the past several years, it has been home to an Afghanistani kebab take-out joint. I mean that- only two 2-seat patio tables and a bench inside.

The menu is very limited- kebabs, gyros, and salads only, plus sides like rice, spinach, potatoes, and the like.

Now, I wouldn’t compare any of their stuff favorably to the better sit-down restaurants in the same culinary tradition. BUT...they definitely deliver tasty foods quickly t a good price. Mom got a steak kebab, potatoes in a red sauce & eggplant with extra rice and a babaganoush appetizer for @$15 and it fed her for 2 days. Only the baba was disappointing.

My salmon kebabs were just a touch dry, but the flavor was really good anyway. And they paired well with my spinach & rice. The spinach had some kind of yoghurt sauce drizzle on it that was a nice touch.

Zardnaar

Legend
I worked with an ex army guy at port. He served in Afghanistan said the food was delicious.

Unbroken line for me from Morocco to India for taste stuff. Quite liked Iranian as well.

The line breaks around Thailand not such a big fan of that and Vietnamese but like Cambodian.

Big regrets locally.

1. Virtually impossible to find good Mexican/Tex Mex. American expats on this have commented on this and I agree. Disappointed almost every time.

2. Chicago deep dish pizza. More of a pie can't find it anywhere.

3. Deep South USA. Gumbo, grits, BBQ. Covid took out our single gumbo spot.

4. Eastern Europe. Maybe in different city.

Zardnaar

Legend
Home made wrap inspired by Turkish ones.

Tomato wrap with salad, cheese, tabouli, hummus, Tomoto. Aioli and sriracha mayo. Chicken coated in low salt crispy coating baked in the oven.

IMG_20210214_185247.jpg

Very basicand quick. Experimenting with various sauces and wraps. Light dinner big lunch hot night.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter

The sausage link is an Earl Campbell Hot Link, baked in the toaster oven for 20m at 400degF.

The salad is sliced red cabbage tossed with diced crispy fried bacon and sautéed yellow onions, some salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, and red wine vinegar. The onion was sautéed in the bacon drippings and olive oil, and the pan was deglazed with the vinegar.

The dipping sauce is Guilden’s Spicy Brown mustard.

I was working from a TV chef’s show, and she didn’t give actual measurements for her ingredients. The next time I make this, I’ll use only one cabbage, and slice it much finer than I did. Also, there is nothing in this dish that demands the salad be cold, so if you like a warm slaw, give it a shot.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter

The sausage link is an Earl Campbell Hot Link, baked in the toaster oven for 20m at 400degF.

The salad is sliced red cabbage tossed with diced crispy fried bacon and sautéed yellow onions, some salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, and red wine vinegar. The onion was sautéed in the bacon drippings and olive oil, and the pan was deglazed with the vinegar.

The dipping sauce is Guilden’s Spicy Brown mustard.

I was working from a TV chef’s show, and she didn’t give actual measurements for her ingredients. The next time I make this, I’ll use only one cabbage, and slice it much finer than I did. Also, there is nothing in this dish that demands the salad be cold, so if you like a warm slaw, give it a shot.
I've found that deli mustard (and/or mustard-based barbeque sauce) can work superbly well on spicy sausages, whether the sausages are grilled or baked or cooked on a stove.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Yellow mustard, too.

Actually...I almost always pair sausages with some kind of mustard. Something about the tanginess... It’s almost like mustards were MADE for sausages.

Remove ads