2 diced garlic cloves
1 diced green onion
2 large eggs
1tbs salted butter
Black pepper
Paprika
Sea salt
Parsley

Baked the mushrooms, garlic & onion topped with the butter in my toaster oven @10 min at 400.

While that was cooking, I microwaved the eggs- yolks broken and seasoned with pepper & paprika- in a covered flat dish. (I had sprinkled a little water & infused olive oil on the plate to aid cooking and facilitate removal.)

When the eggs were cooked (@60-90 seconds), I shredded them on the pasta. Then I topped that with the mushroom/onion/garlic mix. Then I sprinkled it all with parsley.

Zardnaar

Legend
What do you think of this fine dining? Cafe in my city. It's not really retro as they never updated lol.

Fish and chips old school style. Cooked in beef fat with vinegar on the table.

Since 1932.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
That looks awesome! I’d probably become a regular if I were anywhere near there. I’m a sucker for fish & chips with a splash of vinegar, and here in the USA, 99% of the time, our only option for that is cod. (Not that I mind.) Love shrimp cocktails, too, though I’ve never had one with thousand island- most of the ones we get are with that red horseradish sauce, or something similar to a ceviche in the Tex-Mex places.

I did a humongous T-bone for the fam last tonight, paired with sautéed white & portobello shriooms and an improvised potato dish. Surprisingly the taters were the hit! Results were not really photogenic, but definitely palate pleasing.

I peeled and cubed 3 russets, then tossed them in a small dutch oven that fit in my toaster oven. I used a mix of olive oil, butter, and a homemade chicken stock to cook them in. Seasonings were salt, black pepper, cayenne, thyme, parsley, chives, and garlic powder. I cooked them (covered) in the toaster oven for @40m at 400degF, then finished them uncovered on the stovetop to thicken the liquid. The result was a pot full of golden brown potatoes, tender almost to the point of mushiness. Most of the cubes were still intact, but some had disintegrated.

Mom took her fork and completed the process of potato destruction on her plate, essentially making them into a golden mashed potato.

I think the results would have been even better with Yukon golds, but I’d do this with russets again without hesitation.

Zardnaar

Legend
That looks awesome! I’d probably become a regular if I were anywhere near there. I’m a sucker for fish & chips with a splash of vinegar, and here in the USA, 99% of the time, our only option for that is cod. (Not that I mind.) Love shrimp cocktails, too, though I’ve never had one with thousand island- most of the ones we get are with that red horseradish sauce, or something similar to a ceviche in the Tex-Mex places.

I did a humongous T-bone for the fam last tonight, paired with sautéed white & portobello shriooms and an improvised potato dish. Surprisingly the taters were the hit! Results were not really photogenic, but definitely palate pleasing.

I peeled and cubed 3 russets, then tossed them in a small dutch oven that fit in my toaster oven. I used a mix of olive oil, butter, and a homemade chicken stock to cook them in. Seasonings were salt, black pepper, cayenne, thyme, parsley, chives, and garlic powder. I cooked them (covered) in the toaster oven for @40m at 400degF, then finished them uncovered on the stovetop to thicken the liquid. The result was a pot full of golden brown potatoes, tender almost to the point of mushiness. Most of the cubes were still intact, but some had disintegrated.

Mom took her fork and completed the process of potato destruction on her plate, essentially making them into a golden mashed potato.

I think the results would have been even better with Yukon golds, but I’d do this with russets again without hesitation.

I think that's blue cod. Sole is popular along with Hoki.

The various fish and chip shops use a variety often the above plus various shark species.

Very few use tallow anymore though.

For really nice fried fish I think you have to upgrades that 9 or 9.5 fish to the next level.

They're really hit and miss though. Fish and chips, burgers and chinese are often one in the same. Very few gave vinegar as an option now was a lot more common when I was a kid.

The place looked out of date 20 years ago. But yeah it's really nice probably one of two places I would beeline to if I wanted fish which happens 2-3 times a year.

Some of the surrounding small towns sometimes have something similar and they haven't changed in decades throw in some regional varieties and yeah getting hard.

Any town with more than a few hundred people though has a F&C shop. One flyspeck town has one that does really good Indonesian or Malaysian as well.

Zardnaar

Legend
Something you won't really see in the USA much afaik.

The humble NZ meat pie. Savoury not sweet. 65 million sold a year population 5 million.

First 3 or 4 minutes cover it. Hungary now. Invercargill has 57000 people sells 800 a day.

UK heritage one of the few foods that have stuck through the generations. You can get some crazy fillings such as lamb and kumara from this place. Or Malaysian/Indonesian/Thai fillings.

Pepper steak is a winner and in the video.

Yay/nay Danny?

Edit. Colorado has pie shop.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
Something you won't really see in the USA much afaik.

The humble NZ meat pie. Savoury not sweet. 65 million sold a year population 5 million.

First 3 or 4 minutes cover it. Hungary now. Invercargill has 57000 people sells 800 a day.

UK heritage one of the few foods that have stuck through the generations. You can get some crazy fillings such as lamb and kumara from this place. Or Malaysian/Indonesian/Thai fillings.

Pepper steak is a winner and in the video.

Yay/nay Danny?
Not Danny, but I'd be willing to give it a try. Doesn't seem radically unlike a potpie--what's the crust like?

Zardnaar

Legend
Not Danny, but I'd be willing to give it a try. Doesn't seem radically unlike a potpie--what's the crust like?

Crust varies how long is a piece of string? Flaky pastry is very nice, cheap and cheerful is just really there to hold it togather.

How fresh it is also matter.

Probably is potpie but it's a snack here and very common. Most gas stations,dairies (corner store usa), cafes etc have them.

I like them but can't eat them to often (salt).

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Definitely a “Yea” from me! Love hand pies from a variety of cultures. Samosas, empanadas, escargot tarts, pastelillos, creole meat pies, etc.. If they taste good, I’m probably going to eat them.

if you can ever watch it, the show Somewhere South ep. 1 is all about hand pies and their long, long history.

Remove ads